[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Very cool fish! Always liked the angler on those nature shows. Never saw a toad fish before. Looking forward to seeing the macros you put in there.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I hope I don't offend you to much but I've got to ask...why would you put 2 predatory fish in the same tank where it is a very high possibility that one will eat the other? Do you not believe that the angler knows he may become lunch? You would never find these 2 fish living so close together in the wild Personally I think it's cruel.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I hope I don't offend you to much but I've got to ask...why would you put 2 predatory fish in the same tank where it is a very high possibility that one will eat the other? Do you not believe that the angler knows he may become lunch? You would never find these 2 fish living so close together in the wild Personally I think it's cruel.
    it was just a risk i was willing to take on, i had these fish ordered already and the angler came in smaller than anticipated so i had to keep it so just decided well if it happens i am just letting mother nature take her course. I do believe the angler is safe though because he has walked and swam right in front of the toad and the toad will not touch it. the toad gets fed krill (which are orange in color) and goldfish (which are orange in color) and the angler is black so this might also play advantage to his life.

i can only cross my fingers and hope for the best. last night the angler went down into the toadfish's hole (toadfish was looking out the front, angler went in through the side entry) so i will check today when i get home to see if he was dinner or not and if not i think it is safe to say that they may be friends enough to co-exist with eachother as long as i keep the toadfish fed enough. i know if i didnt feed him for about 3-4 days he would most likely eat the angler.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Few more updates first one is the angler is still alive and kickin after venturing into the toadfish's cave so i think i am pretty safe to say if i keep the toad fed he wont mess with the angler... at least ill still keep hoping that!

Another thing is i put a few guppies in the tank to try to get the angler to catch some and eat and at the same time i was feeding the toadfish some freeze dried krill that has been soaked and air pushed out. The angler kept flicking his lure around so i decided hmmmm i wonder if i can stump him now that he sees the guppies and try to sneak a piece of krill in front of him and him eat it. took the tongs, got a decent sized krill (without looking because i didnt think he would eat it) and boom! he sucked that thing down like spaghetti! his little belly got so huge after it! So the angler does eat freeze dried krill i just had to stump him! lets hope i can keep using this trick until i can just get him completely on freeze dried or frozen krill!
    Last edited by jolson10450; 01-04-2012 at 07:23 AM.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Best of luck Justin seems you are on the right track!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Best of luck Justin seems you are on the right track!
    Thanks Larry! I told my LFS i wanted a snowflake eel so i hope they get that in friday on their shipment, if so i will update after that point, until then i will be working on a retrofit of something to block the front chamber so it can't escape into the back. the new biocube hoods have a piece attached in the hood to prevent escape into the filtering chamber but this is a slightly older model.

What i plan on doing is taking some of the plastic gutter guard and attaching it to the wall. it already has a U shaped end on it so it can snap right to it and the holes are about 1/4" and it also has a screen netting on it (would have to re/glue it because of cutting it down. so if all goes well then i should have that done today. i will take pictures of the modification for others having an issue with fish escaping into the back filtering areas.

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Good to hear they are cohabitating well.
    Plus taking frozen!

Were you able to order your SFE by size?

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by AJ :) View Post
    Good to hear they are cohabitating well.
    Plus taking frozen!

Were you able to order your SFE by size?
    i told them i wanted one already salt converted and preferable 6-8" only and they said that should be fine so hopefully it comes in that size.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'm not understanding your thinking here jolson. I think if the tank was bigger then a 29g I would be accepting this concept easier however, now your adding a SFE that has a max size of 24" into the mix?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes WillBattle liked this post

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I'm not understanding your thinking here jolson. I think if the tank was bigger then a 29g I would be accepting this concept easier however, now your adding a SFE that has a max size of 24" into the mix?
    max size is not what i am worried about. i am more worried about the purchased size because i only plan on living where i do for year, year and a half max, and these guys will either get a new home from someone else or i will get a new large tank for them. I am currently renting to be sure my current new job is doing good for over a year and such at which point i will be buying a house and moving so this is only a temporary home for these guys.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last