[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Josh's 55 startup ideas?

Bookmark and Share
    voltz7320 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Josh's 55 startup ideas?

I haven't had a tank in a few years and I got this 55 for free so decided to try a reef tank again. It's a 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and a 100 gallon in sump skimmer. The return pump creates 700gph of water flow and I have a 750gph power head that disrupts the flow so different areas of the tank have different amounts of water flow. For lighting I have a 165 watt Apollo LED fixture that in my opinion was well worth the money, I have had the tank set up for only a month and have had huge coraline algae growth and everything in the tank is vibrant and healthy. Right now I have a zoo colony and a colony of green metallic star polyps. For fish and inverts a fire fish, gold banded maroon clown, large green true carpet anemone, decorator crab, 2 sand sifting starfish, lots of different crabs and snails, lots of feather dusters, and several other things that I'm not sure what they are,came on the live rock. The carpet anemone was a bad idea as it has taken over a large portion of the tank floor and eaten $60 worth of fish that I have added to the tank. I am trying to get rid of the anemone before I and anything else to the tank so that I can do a bit of rearranging first. I want a diverse reef with lots of color when I'm done. Any ideas on some hearty corals that will coexist? Anything else I would need to keep the tank healthy? The pic here is an old one, I don't have any current ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Beautiful setup I'm a little concerned about your sand sifting stars. With it being a new tank, they'll have nothing to eat
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

voltz7320 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

The tank was set up with all live sand and about 20lbs of sand from an established tank that was torn down. I had a large algae bloom so I bought one of sifting starfish and got one free with my order. They seem to be doing ok when I can see them but I guess time will tell...