[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

LunaReef's 50 gal tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default LunaReef's 50 gal tank

My tank has been up and running for a couple of weeks now. I'm waiting to see if I have a cycle or not. The sump I'm using has been running for a year and a half so all live rock is fully cured and a few fish are living in there. I plan on stocking NPS corals. What do you think for lighting? I want to go with some kind of LED's, maybe a single bulb?

Equipment list

Tank- 50 gal cube
    Sump- 100gal Rubbermaid tub
    Skimmer- Royal Exclusive 250
    Lighting- undecided
    Flow- Vortech MP40
    Mini fridge with dosing pump
    Attached Images Attached Images      

CR Member

I drilled the rocks and have rods going through them. The rods are attached to a sheet of acrylic so it doesn't tip over. Putty is to cover the rods.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

If your going strickly NPS, i would do one of those par38 LED bulbs. not enough light for anything photo type coral but should provide some nice light for your tank.

CR Member

Thats what I was thinking about going with. I see the bulbs on quite a few sites but no fixtures for them. I suppose you could DIY some sort of a pendant for one.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by LunaReef View Post
    Thats what I was thinking about going with. I see the bulbs on quite a few sites but no fixtures for them. I suppose you could DIY some sort of a pendant for one.
    It doesn't need a special fixture and doesn't need a pendant.
    These type of bulbs screw into a regular bulb outlet.

I had a par38 over a 12g tank and used a desk lamp

IMG 1199 - LunaReef's 50 gal tank

CR Member

That looks pretty good. I guess I'll go ahead with the par 38 then, should be plenty of light for viewing.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Nice start!

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    If your going strickly NPS, i would do one of those par38 LED bulbs. not enough light for anything photo type coral but should provide some nice light for your tank.
    Actually I've been to Evilc home and seen prof that there is more than enough PAR to grow just about anything. Would probably even be too much for NPS corals. Go with something DIY or PowerBrites just for some accent lighting. Very cool scape by the way, really like it alot.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

CR Member

I did go with a par38 bulb. I'm only using it for a few hours a day when I want to view the tank. I have a few sun corals, a dendro, a chili coral and a red whip sea fan. I want to get over to the Tropicorium this weekend and see what they have. My pictures aren't too good but here's some updated photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

CR Member

Is that a CADlights Artisan aquarium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last