[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My 100g Mixed Reef

Bookmark and Share
    UMreefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nic

Default My 100g Mixed Reef

I have been reefing for about 5 years now and this is a 100g tank that I have been working on for about a year now after I had had a massive die off. This tank has been running great, the only survivor from my last go is my Snowflake Eel who is about 2 and a half years now, coral is growing fast and everyone seems pretty happy. Hope you like the set up.

Tank Inhabitants:

Snowflake Eel
    Blue Hippo Tang
    Coral Beauty Angel
    Green Chromis
    False Perc
    Golden Headed Sleeper Goby
    Spotted Hawk
    Atlantic Anem
    Sand Sifting Star
    Blue and Red Hermits

Coral List:

Green Star (which has covered a whole LR after starting as a inch by inch square)
    Birdsnest
    Green Slimer Accro
    Red Acan
    Clove Polyps
    Green Monti Cap
    Texas Trash Zoas
    Eagle Eye Zoas
    Green Mushrooms
    Frogspawn
    Hammerhead
    Neon Trumpet
    Toadstool Leather
    Yellow Zoas Polyp

Equipment List:

35 gal Sump
    Coralife Super Skimmer 220 gal
    2 Powerheads on timers for wave simulation
    4 bulb Wavepoint HO T5
    2 bulb CF Actinic (Original hood that came with the tank)
    Fluval 305 Canister moded w/chemi-pure filtration
    Attached Images Attached Images            

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sounds great and looks great

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Thank you for sharing your reef with us. Keep it up!!
    -Heidi

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Nice lookin tank man!

michaellong - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    michael

Awesome tank. Curious, if you don't mind, what have you concluded your die-off was from? I have heard so many stories, and I just do not know if ya seriously have to worry about that - or if you are on top of your parameters and equiptment, etc., if all is okay? Your tank looks great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First Name
    Nic

Quote Originally Posted by michaellong View Post
    Awesome tank. Curious, if you don't mind, what have you concluded your die-off was from? I have heard so many stories, and I just do not know if ya seriously have to worry about that - or if you are on top of your parameters and equiptment, etc., if all is okay? Your tank looks great.
    The die off was caused by a power outage while I was on a weekend ski trip and the tank temp dropped pretty bad along with other issues like lack of flow, etc. Luckily, (but not a good kind of lucky) it was only a FOWLR at that point so I didn't lose any corals but I did lose a Clarkii Pair, Flame Angle, Longnose Hawk, Yellow Tang and my inverts...like I said the Snowflake, (which I still need to get a better pic of) was the only thing that survived. However, I also think that I had some other issues going on as back then I was using bioballs in a trickle down filter instead of my sump set up that I have now and had a much smaller skimmer, but who is to really say for sure.

Parameters since I restocked and have continued to add a piece of coral here and there throughout the months have been steady, I check through my own small test kit but also take it up to Reef Paradise to have a second check done fairly regularly and am getting great growth and color out of my corals.

Thanks and I am glad ya liked the tank, I'll add more pics as time goes by, those were just some quick ones I wanted to get up today.

michaellong - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    michael

Quote Originally Posted by UMreefer View Post
    The die off was caused by a power outage while I was on a weekend ski trip and the tank temp dropped pretty bad along with other issues like lack of flow, etc. Luckily, (but not a good kind of lucky) it was only a FOWLR at that point so I didn't lose any corals but I did lose a Clarkii Pair, Flame Angle, Longnose Hawk, Yellow Tang and my inverts...like I said the Snowflake, (which I still need to get a better pic of) was the only thing that survived. However, I also think that I had some other issues going on as back then I was using bioballs in a trickle down filter instead of my sump set up that I have now and had a much smaller skimmer, but who is to really say for sure.

Parameters since I restocked and have continued to add a piece of coral here and there throughout the months have been steady, I check through my own small test kit but also take it up to Reef Paradise to have a second check done fairly regularly and am getting great growth and color out of my corals.

Thanks and I am glad ya liked the tank, I'll add more pics as time goes by, those were just some quick ones I wanted to get up today.
    wow - sorry to hear about that scenereo. Honestly that scares me - I came back last week and the power was off. Had 10G on the floor via main sump. You know , what I was going to do is overfill the sump, I mean keep it to where it would overflow. Then put a auto top-off sensor upside down in a small reservoir behind my system. When power goes, the water would then pvc out of the top of the sump. You know - drill the overflow at the top of the sump. That way the power outage res will fill. Upon restart the sensor would sense water and turn the pump on and refill the tank until it senses no water in the emergency res. The only problem I have here is when the power comes on - likely to run too low on sump and burn out my pumps. Sounds like you experienced a lenghty one. Well it is good ya haven't given up. Theres no way to avoid that scenereo. I mean , yeah a generator - but you must be home to hook that up. Man - you lost a lot of fish. I would freak. Well, they say lightning never strikes twice, so I wish ya the best of luck. Looks like you are past the stages of worry hey.

First Name
    Nic

Thanks, ya I have been trying to automate as much stuff as possible. Lol, those stages are done...now its just a matter of keeping the nitrates down aha!