[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mike's Rimless 125

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

The Radion should settle in just perfect between those 2 fixtures.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    The Radion should settle in just perfect between those 2 fixtures.
    I think it will fit in well
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

Now all I need are a couple Vortechs to go with the Radion.
    anacroporamademepoora
    Likes AJ :) liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Mike, do you mind sharing the coverage of those Kessill lights? Do you by chance have a PAR meter as well?

CR Member
    First Name
    Francis

That's ganna look sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Mike, do you mind sharing the coverage of those Kessill lights? Do you by chance have a PAR meter as well?
    I am getting a "useful" spread of 18-20 inches withthe lights 4inches off the surface. That puts them 24 inches off the bottom. PAR numbers with the Apogee meter are 300's 1-2 inches under the water surface. Mid 100's at mid tank and 60-80 on the sand bed. This is pretty comparable to the nubers I got with 250 watt MH over the large tank but it must be said the halides were 10" off the water and that was a 24" deep tank. The rimless is 20" deep.

With that being said these are a much more focused point source light and the shimmer effects are more dynamic IMHO that the halides were. I am going out on a limb here but I believe the A350W will be monster PAR engines. They have at least 2.5 times the power as the A150W's do.

I have looked at the A150W Amazon sun as a possibility to play with in the future and take some PAR measurements. That light has a 6700K spectrum and my guess it, like the Iwasaki of MH lights, it will produce more PAR. I am not completely convincede now that PAR and these type of lights are apples and apples. There are tons of accounts of people switching to LEDS and haivng bleaching events lol. I thnk maybe there is more to the lighting game than the simple lables we use like CRI and PAR.
    anacroporamademepoora

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Thanks Mike!

I think you are correct about the measurement of LED PAR, it doesn't seem to all show up there does it?

I keep bouncing around on my light, one minute I am going to do a DIY 24" kit, the next a pair of AI's and then I thought of a single Radion... I guess I have some time yet to decide. I also looked at the Kessil's one day, this lighting thing is TOUGH!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I am getting a "useful" spread of 18-20 inches withthe lights 4inches off the surface. That puts them 24 inches off the bottom. PAR numbers with the Apogee meter are 300's 1-2 inches under the water surface. Mid 100's at mid tank and 60-80 on the sand bed. This is pretty comparable to the nubers I got with 250 watt MH over the large tank but it must be said the halides were 10" off the water and that was a 24" deep tank. The rimless is 20" deep.

With that being said these are a much more focused point source light and the shimmer effects are more dynamic IMHO that the halides were. I am going out on a limb here but I believe the A350W will be monster PAR engines. They have at least 2.5 times the power as the A150W's do.

I have looked at the A150W Amazon sun as a possibility to play with in the future and take some PAR measurements. That light has a 6700K spectrum and my guess it, like the Iwasaki of MH lights, it will produce more PAR. I am not completely convincede now that PAR and these type of lights are apples and apples. There are tons of accounts of people switching to LEDS and haivng bleaching events lol. I thnk maybe there is more to the lighting game than the simple lables we use like CRI and PAR.
    I agree completly.there is a known diffrence of a 25 percent error of par readings with LED's and bleaching is a common problem with them.I personaly think haveing dimable LED's is the first step to haveing sucesses with them, Another issue is knowing the diffrence in spectrum readings. I started off swearing by par numbers and then CSQ explained the diffrence in the readings and actual light intensity as explained to him by a par meter company.I know do more observation to adjust the lighting and use the par readings for just refrence.Your kissel numbers are lower to what I am running but I have helped others set up there LEDS with my meter and the levels are close to yours.Good Luck and looking forward to seeing this build lit up !!!

I think the Radion will be more intense. That being said I think that with LEDs using energy more efficiently at the front end that the quality of the output may be better. Halides produce a lot of heat and waste energy because of the heat. I think LEDs also produce heat but more energy is utilized to light the diode which may be why we get such high intensity in such a small package. The other nice thing is as far as we know there isn't degradation of the lighting spectrum because there are no phosphores to burn up in the filamanent. That's a plus for us. I have watched videos showing the Kessil Amazon Sun over planted tanks and the growth is lush and healthy. I think we get good light and stable temps, making a huge difference in the hot summer
    Months.
    anacroporamademepoora

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3