[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

Bookmark and Share
Page 17 of 17 First ... 7 15 16 17
    Mr. Microscope - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - August 2012 Tank of the Month

Update 2012.12.21

I decided to try a three day black out to help combat my GHA and a small breakout of cyano. I thought I had the cyano licked, but it showed its dirty face again after a day or so. So, I'll be treating that with some Chemi Clean as soon as I can get my hands on it.

A couple notes about the black out:
    I wrapped the tank with aluminum foil. Being completely covered resulted in very little evaporation, but it also made the tank heat up. It went from it's normal 73 to 80 over the course of a day and a half. I unplugged the heaters and it went down to 79, and returned to normal after I removed the foil. I think the heat change caused a tiny bit of bleaching in my SPS because they turned just a little whiter than they were before the blackout. I don't think this was a result of lack of light. The colors, however are almost back to normal already. All other corals seemed unaffected.

On the good side though, I actually did make a considerable dent in the GHA and have the least amount of I've seen in a long time. So, I'll continue to do the following:
    WAY lighter feedings; pellets first to the clowns and tailspot, and then a limited amount of frozen for the spoiled bangaii cardinal who won't take anything but.
    Target-feed LPS only once/week
    Change out filter floss every two or three days
    Frequent small water changes
    Treatment with H2O2 with the rocks that aren't attached to the main pillar
    Manual removal of patches with tweezers and toothbrush

The snooty, only-frozen-food-fish:
    bangaiiflash20121130 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

I'm also planning to stop using Chemi-Pure Elite, switch to Purigen, and maybe DIY a little reactor to use Phosban.

The black out wasn't without it's hijinks however. My tailspot blenny somehow managed to jump into my overflow within the centimeter of space between the mesh cover and the overflow teeth. After unwrapping the foil from around the tank for the mid black out feeding, I didn't see him anywhere. Finally, I thought to check in the overflow and sure enough. He was in there picking at the sides of the glass. I tried to get him out, but unfortunately it's too tight to reach my hand all the way in and there's no way I was going to net him in there. After the black out was over I didn't see him in there anymore and assumed the worst. He was no where to be found in the overflow or in the display. I checked the sump wondering if he somehow made it down there, but no luck. On the plus side, I didn't smell anything dead and I figured not finding him at all is better than finding him dead.

A week later, I was doing some maintenance in the sump and saw something moving in the reflection of the glass. To my amazement, my tailspot was swimming around in one of the baffles of my sump! He somehow made it though the overflow pipe, past the gate valve, around the filterfloss that was completely covering the output of the overflow pipe, and into the sump. I was so excited! I took some pictures and told him that I was going to share them with the community as punishment for being such a trouble maker. Here he is looking a bit sheepish and embarrassed next to the skimmer:
    TailspotinSump0120121214 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

Tailspotinsump0220121214 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube
    I cleared everything out of sump and carefully captured him in a cup before putting him back into the display.

Tailspotflash0120121130 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

tailspotflash0220121130 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

I'd heard tailspots have a lot of character, but I had no idea what I was in for with this curious little guy. I love this fish. I think his colors are awesome too.

In other news, I took got an even better pic of my cryptic sea urchin. He was hanging out one morning under my monti cap that is very close to the glass. I was able to get very close with the camera. Here you can even see the podia (tube feet) quite well.
    Urchin20121117 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

As a part of combating GHA, I placed an order with reefcleaners for some hermit crabs.
    BlueHermit20121215 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube
    I got a variety and they seem to be helping. I also got a few chitons, but after a few days they all died. Not sure why, but oh well.

I've also discovered a new hitchhiker in my tank which is odd since I haven't added any coral. It's a ball anemone and I've since discovered one more on the opposite side of the tank.
    BallNem20121215 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube
    After doing some research I believe it is a Caribbean variety (open at night, closed during the day). I think my hermits probably came from the Caribbean as well. So, they must have come in on one of them. LOL! They are very tiny right now. Some people say they are good citizens, others say that they are a threat to fish and inverts when they get larger. Also, they supposedly split quite fast. I don't care either way. I actually fed this guy a pellet the other day. I think they're really cool. If they get out of hand I can always wipe them out. Though, I'd love to set up a pest-nem biotope pico for in the future.

Okay, enough text. Here's some more fun pics I took of my acans yesterday. They're popping out babies like crazy. So, I thought I'd focus in on them (taken with blue LED's):
    acans01b20121217 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

acans0220121217 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

acans0320121217 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

I recently got some BBEB's. These guys really need lower light. So, they're not doing very well yet, but are showing signs of improvement:
    BBEB20121217 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

Finally, here's a Satosa pic for ####s&giggles:
    satosa20121217 - Mr. Microscope's 25 Gallon Cube

That's it for now. New FTS later.
    Mr. M out!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Great shots! Nice catch on the blenny!

Thanks Jim!

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Hi--
    Very nice reef tank! Thank you for posting..........................Jim

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Were you able to get your cyanobacteria outbreak under control? I have an outbreak that I have been trying to treat by physical removal and large changes and it keeps coming back with a vengeance. May try a lights out period which had been effective for me for GHA.

Quote Originally Posted by BC United View Post
    Were you able to get your cyanobacteria outbreak under control? I have an outbreak that I have been trying to treat by physical removal and large changes and it keeps coming back with a vengeance. May try a lights out period which had been effective for me for GHA.
    My 3 day blackout didn't work, but it did brown out some SPS. They're still not back to where they were before. I used chemi-clean. It seemed to take care of it, but I'm now seeing signs of it returning. I think I need to do another treatment.

Page 17 of 17 First ... 7 15 16 17