[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mr. Microscope's Roughneck Frag Tub

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    Mr. Microscope - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - August 2012 Tank of the Month

Default Mr. Microscope's Roughneck Frag Tub

Hello All,

So, I've been sans aquarium for a while since I moved from NYC to Evanston, IL. I used to run a 3 gallon pico at my office in my previous job, but decided to do a complete take down and sell off rather than worry about moving the tank across the country. I've been going nuts reading all of your threads and drooling over your beautiful tanks and new corals. I'm going to be getting a real tank soon, but to get me started I began this frag tank. Most of it has been thrown together from bits and pieces I had left over from my pico. The rest was purchased from local reefers and a couple items online.

The focus for this tank will be on high end zoas. I'll be growing out my favorites in anticipation of the real tank (25 or 37 gallon cube), and selling some. I'm also going to take the opportunity to experiment with a couple other corals that I don't have experience with. I'd like to try my hand at acans. Finally, my wife has taken an interest in helping me propagate the corals and maintaining the tank. So, I hope she can have fun with it as well.

FTS 2011.09.04
    FragTank20110905 - Mr. Microscope's Roughneck Frag Tub

Here's a breakdown on what's going on here:

• Rubbermade Roughneck 16 gallon tub
    • K2 (600gph)
    • Rio 600 (200gph)
    • 4x24inch T5 Current USA Nova Extreme
    • LEDs from my old pico (4RB, 1CB, 2NW XR-E Crees)
    • AC70 fuge modification with filter floss and chaeto
    • About 20 lbs. live rock (BRS Pukani Rubble and Premium Aquatics Premium Rubble) curing for six months plus. It's sitting on some small egg crate tables that lifts if up approximately a half inch to allow flow.
    • Egg Crate array for frags put together with zip ties
    • BlackrockReef MR3.S frag rack (cause there's room for it)
    • 100 Watt Aqueon Pro Heater
    • Kent Reef Salt (gotta 200 gallon bucket!)
    • BRS 5 stage RO/DI water filtration system water
    • Kitchen Cart

Here's the cart I'm using for this thing. I picked it up on amazon a few years ago. We didn't need it after moving and it was just sitting around. So, my wife suggested I use it for the frag tank.
    51qc1g0WtsL SL500 AA300  - Mr. Microscope's Roughneck Frag Tub
    To make it simple, I just have the lights sitting on the top shelf. The spacing I have here gives me a lot of room work work in the tank. Plus, I'll be able to get lots of nice top down shots of all the pretty things that are going to grow in here.
    In the left image you'll see the rack I made. I've since modified it slightly by cutting out a few squares on the right side to allow me to stick my hand though if necessary or put an additional K-Nano if I feel I want more flow.
    Setup01 - Mr. Microscope's Roughneck Frag Tub

As for flow, I understand I'm kinda overkilling it a bit. I've got about 15 gallons of water in this thing. Between the K2, the Rio600, and the AC70, I possibly have more than 60x turn over, but it really doesn't seem like that much in there. Honestly, the Rio seems more powerful than the K2. Also, I have the AC on a medium to low setting since I'm using it as a fuge. I have the K2 pointing directly into my rubble pile, and the Rio600 has it's nozzle positioned under the egg crate tables that I made to set the live rock on. So, there's tons of flow directly underneath all the rock. I don't have any coral in there yet. So, i guess I'll see if they're getting blown to bits once I get something in there. I can always take out a pump or replace it with a weaker one. On reserve are my K-Nano and my Pico Evo. Feel free to add any thoughts on flow for me.
    Setup02 - Mr. Microscope's Roughneck Frag Tub

So, for live rock, I got some fantastic stuff this weekend. It's really beautiful. A local reefer hooked me up with some BRS Pukani rubble, BRS shelf rock, and Premium Aquatics Premium rubble. He'd been curing/cooking them for about six months and they're pest and algae free. Honestly, this is some of the coolest rock I've seen and I think it would look great in a show tank, but I'm glad to have it in my tub. I'm not expecting to see much of a cycle, so I think I'll be contacting ReefCleaners in a few days to get a CUC. Probably about 10 dwarf ceriths, and 10 mixed hermits.

Also, on the list of livestock will be a pair of small clowns that I'll eventually move to my bigger tank when it's built (which will be my next thread). Though, I'd like to have one or two fish in there when I move the clowns out. The logic being that fish poo is good for corals and helps boost the nutrient level of the water. I'm open to suggestions on fish if anyone wants to chime in. I'd like to stay away from damsels though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mr. Microscope; 09-06-2011 at 10:37 PM.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sweet set up!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Thanks! I'm about to place an order for a CUC with ReefCleaners. They have THE best customer service and awesome prices. Can't wait to get this thing going.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have been wondering what you were up to these days......looks like you are a whole lot closer!

I like the idea you have come up with. Do you have any concerns with PO4 leaching, from the tub? Have you done any research on that yet? I am curious.......

I hope there are no issues of course, but figured i better bring it up, sooner the better.

Hey there Sir Patrick!
    No, I haven't done any research into phosphates leaching from the plastic. I have read about other people using this brand of tub as a frag tank (mostly, I was concerned with the strength of holding the water). So, hopefully it won't be an issue, but thanks for bringing it up. I will defititely look into that.

Any thoughts on flow?

First Name
    Chris

Flow?

Random and linear. So many possibilities, most dependant on budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Flow?

Random and linear. So many possibilities, most dependant on budget.
    No, I mean do you think I have too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Microscope View Post
    As for flow, I understand I'm kinda overkilling it a bit. I've got about 15 gallons of water in this thing. Between the K2, the Rio600, and the AC70, I possibly have more than 60x turn over, but it really doesn't seem like that much in there. Honestly, the Rio seems more powerful than the K2. Also, I have the AC on a medium to low setting since I'm using it as a fuge. I have the K2 pointing directly into my rubble pile, and the Rio600 has it's nozzle positioned under the egg crate tables that I made to set the live rock on. So, there's tons of flow directly underneath all the rock. I don't have any coral in there yet. So, i guess I'll see if they're getting blown to bits once I get something in there. I can always take out a pump or replace it with a weaker one. On reserve are my K-Nano and my Pico Evo. Feel free to add any thoughts on flow for me.

First Name
    Chris

I think, with the flow set up the way you do sounds good. As long as your corals are digging it, you are good.

Cool. Thanks!

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Good to see you back Mr. Microscope

I always enjoyed your posts and will be following this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last