[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My Rimless Biocube

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Laura

Default My Rimless Biocube

So I've finally caved after watching my boyfriend enthuse over his tank and have decided to start my own We decided that we have too much fun with reefing not to add another tank, it was going to happen sooner or later. I will be making the decisions for the most part on this one, with his guidance of course.

Here's the equipment I'm working with so far:

29 gallon Rimless Biocube - I love the cube design, and originally thought I would go with a Fluval tank, but I actually really like the look of the Biocubes without their canopy, which was originally why I did not like the Biocubes, so when we found a good deal on a rimless one, I had to jump on it! Glad I did =) It needed a little work before I was completely satisfied however, more on that to follow.

Finnex Digital 100w titanium Heater

JBJ ATO - spoiling myself here a little =P

Mp10 - and here... hehe

Reeftechpro LED - Very cool lights picked up from a local DIY reefer, great buy!
    - 6 cool white cree xp-g3 / 6 blue 3-up cree xp-g / 6 royal blue 3-up cree xp-g - totaling in 18 3 watt leds
    - 3 1000mA buckblock dimmable drivers

Assorted Dry Rock from BRS ( reefsaver / Pukani / Fiji ) - I want to try to keep the tank as sterile as possible, even if that means waiting longer for it to cycle.

Cleaning off the Silicone from the Biocube Rim- The tank still had a lot of Silicone along the edges that I wanted to clear away so that I get the nice clean look of the rimless.
    IMAG0191 - My Rimless Biocube

Water Test- After scraping the glass of excess silicone, salt, and coraline had to make sure it would hold water, thankfully it does =D
    IMAG0233 - My Rimless Biocube

Getting in the Dry Rock- We may have ordered a little too much....
    IMAG0194 - My Rimless Biocube

Used Zip Ties to hold a few Chunks of the base together, let me know what you think of the aquascape!-
    IMAG0234 - My Rimless Biocube
    IMAG0235 - My Rimless Biocube

Tank is now filled with water + salt, ammonia is at 3, so the cycle has started! We supplemented with SuperBac and a few tetra flakes to help kick start the cycle. The canopy is only temporarily on while I work on making a fixture for the LEDs, and the Mp10 is MIA in my boyfriends tank... he knows this is only temporary until my tank cycles however.. lol
    IMAG0252 - My Rimless Biocube

So far in the hobby I've been really drawn to zoas and palys as my favorite types of coral, so naturally I am going to make them the primary types in the tank. I also am thinking of throwing a few acans and chalices in there as it gets going. I plan on stocking very minimally with fish given it's size, but so far I have my pair of clowns ready and in QT, (female= extreme misbarred B&W ocellaris, male: Sustainable Aquatic Fancy Snow ocellaris. I love them I am debating about the other fish to add, something peaceful and small, like gobys or fire fish.

I would love to hear any of your thoughts or suggestions, thanks for looking!! More to come once the cycle keeps trucking on.
    [attach]4652[/attach]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jimsflies; 03-29-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: attached photo for display purposes

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great start!!

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looking good.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

This really makes me wish I hadn't of given away my 8g cube

Love your rock scape. You chose well by going with the dry Pukani from BRS. I did the same and couldn't be happier look ma no algae!!!

Happy reefing and welcome to CR!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Awesome! Reminds me of mine...just needs some corals.

Did you get the tank from hopkins?

WillBattle - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Will
    Awards Photo of the Month

Yes, the tank came from hopkins

I will miss that mp10 when your tank cycles

I do have a question, larock is trying to keep this tank as clean of pests as possible. To cycle this tank we used a few pieces of flake food, and added super bacteria in. This tank has been cycling for 1 week now, the ammonia is spiking right now, and after the cycle we plan on adding copepods to the tank, before any fish enter it. Now my question is, we used 100% dry rock/sand. Is there anything else we need to do other than what i have just explained? Or is cycling this tank without any lr/ls just a bad idea in general, ( other than it just will take longer), maybe due to biodiversity issues or something of that sort. Thanks for your advise in advance!

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

I am pretty sure the cycle will happen normally (in aprox. a month) doing it the way you are doing.

CR Member
    First Name
    Laura

Thanks for all the compliments and support everyone =) Eagerly awaiting when I get to start stocking. In the meantime, thinking about what kind of screen I want to put on it, if any.

Here's a few shots of it now with the LED fixture over-top
    IMAG0255 - My Rimless Biocube

IMAG0256 - My Rimless Biocube
    Likes Captain liked this post

Captain - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

LOOKS GOOD. Needs more rock.

Sun357 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Fred

Looks nice! If I didn't have retrofit-LED on mine i'd go rimless.

~Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last