[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
    nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Default Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

IMG 5162 1 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube
    This my 24g JBJ Marco Algae Reef. It's inhabitants include a Tailspot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura) and a pair of ORA Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris). Inverts include a Blue Tuxedo Urchin, Nassarius Snails, Cerith Snails, Nerite Snails, Stomatella Snails, Vermetid Snails, Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs, Peppermint Shrimp, Amphipods, Copepods.

Lighting is powered by 7 18" UVL T5's, powered by 4 Workhouse ballasts, currently the 2 are on one timer a 2 on the other until I can get an electronic control unit. My bulbs from back to front. Also a blue led moonlight for when the light are off.
    UVL Aquasun
    UVL 454
    UVL Indigo Sun
    UVL Super Actinic
    UVL 454
    UVL 454
    UVL Aquasun

Water movement is powered by a Vortech MP10 in Reef Crest mode. The JBJ rear filtration has three compartments. The last has the titanium ground probe, temp, heater, and MJ1200 to return the water to the tank. The middle contains the carbon and gfo in media bags. I use BRS ROX 0.8, and BRS High Capacity GFO. The first compartment holds algae and is on a reverse lighting cycle. It is lighted by leds on the outside, I cut away the black backing to let the light through. And yes as you'll see in the pic below in the first filter chamber are aiptasia. They are kept under control in the main tank with the peppermint shrimp and AiptasiaX.

First filter chamber
    IMG 5472 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Blue Tuxedo Urchin
    IMG 3121 1 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Ponape Birdsnest
    IMG 5387 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Montipora Caps
    IMG 5366 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Chalice
    IMG 5421 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Chalice
    IMG 5392 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Chalice
    IMG 4807 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

ORA Birds of Paradise
    IMG 3296 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Green Razzleberry Chalice
    IMG 1699 size - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Radioactive Dragon Eyes
    IMG 2983 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Zoanthid
    IMG 5273 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Zoanthid
    IMG 5339 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Bam Bams Zoanthid
    IMG 4547 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Montipora Confusa
    IMG 2246 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nate_newton; 08-30-2011 at 01:22 AM.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sweeeeet setup! Love that last pic of the Ora! All your corals look nice and healthy.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Cool tank!! What made ya decide to add all the macro algea??

First Name
    Nate

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    About 4 years ago when I started to learn about the hobby, I wanted to do a planted FW with a large 30+ school of tetra. It then went to saltwater but no coral, obviously didn't end up that way. I then started to do research on marine plants while my tank was starting up. I went slow, first fish at 8 months. My LR is from Vanuatu, 50lbs of it. It held a monster of a surprise, around 14 months algae started coming. I've had the pleasure of seeing over 15 different varieties of macro algae grow in my tank. What I've identified is listed below. And a few pics also, sometimes they disappear so I listed which are growing.

Boodlea Coacta
    Caulerpa Webbiana
    Chlorodesmis Fastigiata
    Scinaia Okamurae
    Predaea sp.
    Chondria Dasyphylla
    Caulerpa Racemosa
    Halimeda

currently growing
    IMG 4458 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

IMG 7482 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

IMG 7503 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

IMG 9944 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

IMG 9939 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

currently growing
    IMG 8631 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

IMG 8636 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Very cool!! If you like, some day, you can stop by and pic up some of this-

100 2274 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

First Name
    Nate

Thanks, I'll remember that if I ever get to that side of state, looks like some nice stuff.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Very unique and beautiful tank Nate!

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Nice Nate. The algae touching the sps doesnt bother it? My fave BN is the ponape. I think I need to put the BOP under the t5's instead of halide. It is doing well but the colors arent terrific. The green ora BN you sent me just had a growth explosion! I am soon going to cut off about 3 pieces of it that are growing downwards. I thought it was in trouble like some other sps when my chemistry went weird but it was a major growth coming on. It seemed to really like me adding the extra blue + recently.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

First Name
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Very unique and beautiful tank Nate!
    Thanks Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by cg5071 View Post
    Nice Nate. The algae touching the sps doesnt bother it? My fave BN is the ponape. I think I need to put the BOP under the t5's instead of halide. It is doing well but the colors arent terrific. The green ora BN you sent me just had a growth explosion! I am soon going to cut off about 3 pieces of it that are growing downwards. I thought it was in trouble like some other sps when my chemistry went weird but it was a major growth coming on. It seemed to really like me adding the extra blue + recently.
    Thanks Chris. The algae doesn't really bother anything. I just have to keep an eye on it. It'll grow on some and not others so I have to keep up with maintenance on it. I take out about a cup of algae every week. Just like any garden, it needs to be pruned. The birdsnest do grow fast in the right conditions. The birds of paradise is fine under MH. Unlike the other birdsnest its sensitive. Check your flow, maybe an LPS is stinging it. It's takes time to get the great color out of the birds of paradise. What K is your MH? The green growing downwards just means thats how your current is there, nothing bad, if you break it there it'll probably keep going down. The easiest trouble indicator is the polyps not out on the birdsnest. I can see you at some point having LPS and SPS tanks.

Electric Blue Hermit Crab (Calcinus elegans)
    IMG 7551 - Nate's 24g Macro/Reef Cube

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I love those crabs but the ones I tried didnt survive. The halide is 10k. it could be the flow as they are in the open on one of those 20 hole ceramic frag rocks atm. The powerhead is directed at that corner diagonally from the other corner. 1350gph but it has to cross a 36 x 30 tank diagonally and it is a wide flow (compared to a focused one). Then there is 1500 flowing across the back of the tank behind the rock.
    I am about to attach some of them permenantly but havnt got to it yet. This is mostly lps and zoas but there are alot of montis too. If I get into acros I will likely set up a smaller reef. The red planet is doing awesome though even though I just lost a pocci (not one of yours) a grape bonsai, another no-name acro and the pokerstar (yours, crying smiley,lol) This chemistry thing stinks! Hopefully it stabilizes soon.
    I know at this time I am using 10 ppm cal everyday and get low alk if I dont watch it. I am not chasing numbers or anything but maintaining, or trying This is day 3 of kalk drips and I am testing like twice a day right now so I can figure it out. It was sooo much easier just doing water changes,lol. Maybe I should figure out how often/much waterchange to do and just stick with that! Not sure if that is really possible since I am getting quite a collection going now.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last