[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Shallow Rimless Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Default New Shallow Rimless Build

So the time is upon me where I have nearly planned the entire build, I have nearly all the equipment, and am nearly complete with the modifications to a stand I bought used. I have a SERIOUS love for both LPS and SPS corals however I can't really afford to have 2 tanks to allow me to dedicate one to each because I simply lack the room in the house to do so. As such, I have decided that an SPS dominant mixed reef is for me. If anyone has seen Planning New System, then you have a clue as to the direction I'm headed with this tank. The tank has the dimensions of a 40 breeder however it's rimless and has a starfire front panel. It's sitting waiting for me to pick it up. I have been confused about the overflow for a while, but more about that later. I have also, as evidenced in the other thread, had difficulty with the lighting plans for this tank.

I'll be using the following equipment on this tank.
    1. Custom 36 x 18 x 16 rimless tank with starfire front
    2. Custom stand built by another reefer that I picked up used. It's getting refinished to match the adjacent furniture.
    3. New reservior for ATO that will be purchased from US plastics.
    4. MP 10
    5. Tunze 6045 (until I can afford another MP 10 or an MP 40)
    6. 20 H sump with DIY baffels
    7. Bubble Magus NAC5e Skimmer (temporary as it is an HOB that will hang on the sump)
    8. Mag 9.5 for return
    9. Retrun plumbing to be split to feed the fuge as well as a manifold for reactors.
    10. TLF reactor for Rowaphos
    11. BRS reactor for carbon
    12. RKL
    13. Aqautic Life 6 lamp T5 with moon lights.
    14. Overflow??

So, related to the overflow....I wanted to to a "beananimal" style external overflow but didn't get the rear panel notched. Now I run the risk of having someone do it with an assembled tank or I go another direction. I originally thought of using one of these 1500 gph complete kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff and putting a gate valve on one of the drains to sort of replicate a "herbie" style overflow. What makes it attractive is the limited area that it consumes in the tank and with the back of the tank being painted black, it would be relatively well hidden. The other option I have seriously considered is this . (Skip to the 1:00 mark to get the point). I would improve on it by adding strainers and putting a piece of acrylic over the glass to allow me to have teeth.

Well, all is set and ready to go, but I would like some opinions on the overflow before I pull the trigger on that. I have all other items set and ready to go. All livestock I have in the solana will be transferred to the new tank when complete as I have the solana sold. It has been a great tank to start with being my first reef, but its limitations are growing difficult to deal with. My camera sucks and my photo skills are worse which is why that tank has never really been documented well here. It's doing well and is full of livestock and is really thriving over a year into its development. While I'll be sad to see it go, I'll be much more pleased with a system that has a sump even though I'm not getting much more water volume. Plus, I think the 36 x 18 footprint will allow for some nice scaping and stocking.

Photos to follow as progress develops. I welcome all comments, both good and bad.
    [attach]4618[/attach]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jimsflies; 03-21-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: attached photo for display purposes

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

This sounds like it's going to be a really nice setup. I'll certainly be following your progress.

As for the overflow. I think the one in the video is cool. But I think it would ruin the aesthetics of a rimless, star-fire tank. You've already invested a lot of time and money to set up a high quality system... it'd hate to see it blemished with an awkward overflow. JMHO.

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    This sounds like it's going to be a really nice setup. I'll certainly be following your progress.

As for the overflow. I think the one in the video is cool. But I think it would ruin the aesthetics of a rimless, star-fire tank. You've already invested a lot of time and money to set up a high quality system... it'd hate to see it blemished with an awkward overflow. JMHO.

Tom
    Thanks, Tom. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

CR Member

Good decision on the mp10 + tunze. I have an 24x24x12 with mp10 and it seems to still need more flow. Good flow is necessary to a successful tank.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by reefhead View Post
    Good decision on the mp10 + tunze. I have an 24x24x12 with mp10 and it seems to still need more flow. Good flow is necessary to a successful tank.
    Agreed. I have the MP10 on the solana and it does well in that tank bout would no doubt need to be supplemented in the new tank.

Need more comments and suggestions on the overflow though. Anyone??

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I really like the glass holes kit.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I'm leaning more and more to the glass holes 1500 gph kit due to the dual drains. I may just order it and be done with it so I can start this build already.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Overflow decision is made. I'm going with the glass holes 1500 gph kit. This way I can valve one of the drains like a herbie and keep the look a bit more clean. I'm noy going to run that much flow through the sump but the dual drain will give a safety factor that I think is important.

I'll be picking up the tank this week and will post pictures then. I'm now debating sand or BB. I plan on painting the bottom black in the event I decide to go BB. If i go sand it will likely be a small grain size sand. Final livestock decisions will drive this. More to come on livestock later. For now, all of my corals will be transferred over, as will my two true perculas that refuse to host my GBTA. I have 2 blue/green chromis that I may or may not move to the new tank.

Headed to HD today to pick up some plumbing goodies. I'm going to plumb in a tee off of the main drain to use for easy WC. Looking forward to simplifying that task for sure.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Ordered the overflow and hole saws today! I'll pick the tank up either Thursday or Friday this week and will take some pictures this weekend.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Waiting on the pics!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... Last