[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Shallow Rimless Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    As promised, here are some pics. I hope to get more work done tomorrow but both my wife and I need to spend sometime working, so I may not be able to put much into the tank but I remain optimistic.
    im kinda curious in what you have planned for all this plumbing lol seems like a bit much. Are you doing a remote sump?

its like a race to who can finish there shallow tank first... lol

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Yes, I will have a sump. I'm using a glass holes overflow but plan to plumb it in like a herbie. GH says not to valve their product because it will make it noisy but I bought the 1500 gph kit because it has (2) 1-1/2" drains. This way, I can valve each one and dial in the appropriate display water level as well as split the drain so I can feed the fuge directly from the display. I'm using a mag 9.5 for the return so I expect that I'll be running about 800 gph given the head. As stated earlier, I'm going to run a manifold off the return......I'm going to Tee off the return and reduce to 1/2" pipe with 3 other tees that will feed reactors. One for carbon, one for GFO, and a future one for biopellets if I decide to go that route. I'll also have a valved drain that will allow for quick water changes. While it seems like a lot, it will allow me some flexibility that would be difficult to add later vs. putting it all in now while everything is still dry.

No worries though Russ....I think you're going to beat me to the finish on this one. I still have lots to do on the stand before I can even do a leak test. Plus, I have a crazy week at work this week and will get nothing done on the tank so tomorrow is my last day to get anything done. Hopefully I can build (dry fit only) the manifold tomorrow and basically "rough" in the plumbing. I'm not going to glue anything until I'm confident all fits properly. Then I can glue and leak test.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I have some questions for you reefers with more experience than I. Regarding the tank transfer, my plan is this.

1. Put new substrate in (if I use any....not sure yet)
    2. Put freshly mixed sw in.
    3. Drain down existing system enough to easily remove LR and and coral. Drained water will be added to the new system.
    4. Use 1 cup of existing system sand for seeding the new system.
    5. Move LR, coral, and fish.
    6. Move chaeto to new fuge.
    7. Seed new fuge with sand from current system.

So, the questions are these.

• Is this the right way to go about the transfer?
    • Should I expect to go through another cycle?
    • How likely is it that livestock will survive the transfer?

Thanks.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That's a pretty good order of things. A few details I would suggest...

Be sure the new SW is the dame temp and salinity.
    Use all of the old substrate if you want to. Why limit the bacteria your adding to a single cup? The more bacteria you add the less change you'll have of seeing a cycle. The tank may be cloudy when you switch but there should be no harm using it.

You should see 100% survival.

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    That's a pretty good order of things. A few details I would suggest...

Be sure the new SW is the dame temp and salinity.
    Use all of the old substrate if you want to. Why limit the bacteria your adding to a single cup? The more bacteria you add the less change you'll have of seeing a cycle. The tank may be cloudy when you switch but there should be no harm using it.

You should see 100% survival.

Tom
    Definitely will be sure the new SW matches temp and salinity of the current tank.

I was concerned about using all of the old substrate because in removing it I would stir up a bunch of detritus and any nitrates trapped in the bed. That's one of the biggest concerns I had really.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

My tank has substrate that is 15+ years old. And when you saw in my 75 the other week it had recently been transferred from the old 50. I didn't test to see if there was any kind of cycle but I had zero issues with the livestock during or after the upgrade.

Tom

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

im gonna have to tell ya with what your thinking, dont use old substrate, it just isn't worth it. i would get new sand and just use a cup or two to seed the new sand. i've seen plenty of threads on RC saying just skip using the old stuff and get a bag or two of new sand. also, dont fall for the "live sand" crap thats like 40$ a bag, its not live by the time it gets to you lol.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Interesting that both you and Tom have total opposite positions on this. I'm inclined to go new if I decide to use a substrate. Reason being is that it's kind of like a fresh start to the display. I'll do some searching on RC as well.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

picturephp?albumid333&amppictureid2750&ampthumb1 - New Shallow Rimless Build picturephp?albumid333&amppictureid2749&ampthumb1 - New Shallow Rimless Build picturephp?albumid333&amppictureid2747&ampthumb1 - New Shallow Rimless Build Super huge disappointment that I have not done much or updated this in a month. Oh well....I hoped to do this more quickly than I have thinking I would have more time than I do. So, here's the update.

I have painted both the bottom and back panels of the tank black. Bottom was painted in the event that I go BB. I completed stripped all exterior exposed surfaces of the stand. I left the inside finish that was previously on there when I bought it. When the exterior color and finish is done, I'll put an additional coat or 2 of poly on the inside.
    Right now, I have one coat of the new finish stain on it. I picked up hinges and door pulls, so this weekend, I'll get the second coat done. Next week I'll put the final poly coat on, install doors, and bring it back to the house and finish the plumbing and do a water test. I figure I'm about 3 weeks out from getting it wet.

Photos will be up in a minute.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I too used all my substrate ( 2+yrs old) from my old tank for my new tank. Added all new dry Pukani and 1 rock from old tank. Never had an issue. Don't believe I even had a cycle
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes binford4000 liked this post

Page 3 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last