[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Solan 34g - Work in Progress

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Had my skimmer taken apart last night for a cleaning and was thinking about drilling small holes in the impeller blades in an effort to increase bubble production and skimmate. It seems to pull pretty well but I can't help but think that this, or a mesh mod, would improve skimmate production.

Any thoughts?

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Nice looking set up. I have a 34G tank myself, very similar overall. I must say - I wish my original GHA bloom looked so insignificant... The algae was so thick, it looked like shag carpet from a 60s jet set pad. I swear you could hear Mel Torme' in there!

Not sure if you have been feeding that clown at all, but you might stop for a bit. It's so hard to feed only enough food for one fish, that you are likely feeding most of it to the algae. If he gets hungry, he can always start working on the algae himself.

Good luck, and glad to see another small tank guy here!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    Nice looking set up. I have a 34G tank myself, very similar overall. I must say - I wish my original GHA bloom looked so insignificant... The algae was so thick, it looked like shag carpet from a 60s jet set pad. I swear you could hear Mel Torme' in there!

Not sure if you have been feeding that clown at all, but you might stop for a bit. It's so hard to feed only enough food for one fish, that you are likely feeding most of it to the algae. If he gets hungry, he can always start working on the algae himself.

Good luck, and glad to see another small tank guy here!
    Thanks. You're killing me with the Mel Torme' comment!! That's great!

I have been feeding the clown however really not much. When I feed him Mysis, I put only a few in there and only add more if he is searching for more. Otherwise, not feeding anything at all. I don't plan on posting any pics until some of this GHA starts to dissipate.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Maybe I can get the mods to move this to the members aquariums forum. Based on the rules of the nano contest being a system with total water volume of less than 34g, I may not fit the nano category.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Updates!

I told myself no more pics until the GHA subsides a little. It appears as though it has started to do so. I have been tracking the progress of the tank in excel using it as a log of all tank activity for the short term.

If anyone is following this, they'll know my stupid mistakes. But, after the DI cartridge arrived, I have done 3 WC totaling about 80% of the tank's volume. I think this has helped with the GHA. Also, started dosing MB7 and Reef biofuel a week ago. I thought the water was pretty clear running chemi-pure elite, but this seems to have made it more clear.

Stock has changed a little. I added 2 large turbos, an algae blenny, emerald crab, and a few zoas. Please excuse the algae in the pics. I can only hope that I'm gaining on it. Params are still pretty solid. No detectable levels of phosphate, trates, ammonia, or trites. Hopefully the GHA will continue to subside,

Anyway, here's some pics....quality is a bit lacking....tough to get pics with LED and POS point - n - shoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Nice progress! Glad to hear your algea issue is subsiding.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Thanks, Chris. I 'm pleased to see it begin to dissipate. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing stocked a bit better. Looking forward to the January swap in Lansing.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Looks really nice. I like the rock work... If I can ever figure out PhotoBucket, I will post a picture of mine...

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    Looks really nice. I like the rock work... If I can ever figure out PhotoBucket, I will post a picture of mine...

Thanks. I would like to see a pic of yours. I don't use photobucket, I upload direct to the forum. I really like the size of the cube and appreciate the comments on the scape. I was actually thinking of adding a piece of rock in the center to add more filtration capacity. I like it as is and think I should let it sit and mature for a while.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Added 3 frags today. 2 different montis and 3 polyps of red people eaters! Will post pics later. GHA is nearly gone thanks to the 2 turbos and the algae blenny. The beginnings or coraline are showing as well.

Page 3 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last