[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

pjr's 100% LED 130g reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Default pjr's 100% LED 130g reef

Tank running since Feb 3, 2005. Lighting converted from MH to all LEDs since June 2009. Driven by Sunbrite LED "bulbs" (8x 72"). Now slowly converting the LED tubes to the new Cree-based models.

Tank Brand AGA, 72x18x24. Stand built by professional carpenter thru Fish Doctors of Canton.
    No Substrate: Starboard on bottom, now covered with thick coraline.

Flow created with a Tunze 6100 (on controller, alternating from 30% to 100%) and a Hydor mini. Return is an Iwaki 30. Skimmer is a Tunze 9010.

A Reefkeeper 2 keeps it organized, and a Litermeter tops it off. Bulk Reef Supply 2 part solutions keep matters balanced.

FTS Feb 2010 - pjr's 100% LED 130g reef

DSC 0006 - pjr's 100% LED 130g reef

DSC 0009 - pjr's 100% LED 130g reef

DSC 0020 - pjr's 100% LED 130g reef

DSC 0021 - pjr's 100% LED 130g reef

DSC 0013 - pjr's 100% LED 130g reef

DSC 0017 - pjr's 100% LED 130g reef
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

looking sweet pat keep up the good work

looks like you are getting some awesome growth from those leds
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Very nice, what is the coral at the top of image number 5? I like that a lot!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Stil looks great! A little differnt from last time I saw it- but looks great!

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    purple&yellow scroll(turbinaria)

Thx Rob! It's a turbanaria....

Chris, things are different. Had an SPS loss in July/August due to an alk/calcium issue. But the montis have all recovered and really gone wild, and the acros are getting some nice growth too.

tazzy, yep the LEDs are really working well. In many ways beyond my expectations! It was a real crap shoot at the time, but they have been a delight visually and the drop in energy use and heat is a joy as well.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Have you truly noticed the energy savings in your monthly bills?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

For sure. At least $30 per month. I ran 2x250 (M58 ballast) and 1x175 (M57), with 2x96w PC actinics on only about 3 hours per day. And also didn't need to run the AC, which was REQUIRED to keep the tank under 82* in the summer, otherwise it would spike to 86* or more. Last year, with no ac, I hit 81* just once.
    Last edited by pjr; 03-22-2010 at 06:48 AM.

vega15 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Anthony
    Awards Tank of the Month

Question

Have you truly noticed the energy savings in your monthly bills?
    +1 On the energy savings question.....I know it is less to power one of these but I would be interested in hearing the numbers that you are seeing.

Tank looks great!

kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

Truly awesome Pjr. I will be following in your (LED) foot steps soon. I start my rebuild tomorrow.
    I might start a thread for it because I probably could use some input.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last