[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Poseidon's NEW Adventure!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Default Poseidon's NEW Adventure!

Ok, no pictures as of yet. The purpose of this thread is to detail what I have, and what I need to get going.

First thing, I need a TANK! I am planning on a 50B "ish" tank as the footprint works well in my living room, and I already have a nice cabinet stand that is a 36x18 footprint. I think a bit taller then 18" though, maybe 20 or 22? I am planning a total system volume of around 100G.

Next I need a skimmer- I have a pretty good idea of what I want, Warner Marine.

Lights- I have several T5 ballasts around here from my old set up, and I have a dual 250W halide ballast too. I was thinking LED, but as budget is going to be an issue I may go with what I have, adding bulbs and reflectors as needed.

Circulation Pumps- I had a pair of MP40's on my 90 before it came down. What is a good option now?

Return pump- The sump is going to be in the basement, so I need a large enough pump to push up about 8-10ft of head. (The sump will be high, near the basement ceiling.)

Salt- I always used IO before, and let my kalk and Ca Reactors make up for the Ca and Alk.

Speaking of reactors... I sold both. What options will/do I have here? I am open to suggestions not just reactors. 2 part dosing?

Things that I have- First, knowledge. I am not a newbie, and having that advantage will be huge in my new set up.

Sump, I have some choices here. I have a 30L, a 15 gallon tank, and a 45 ish gallon tank that is 36x16x?? I had custom ordered this years ago for a project, then plans changed and it has been in the basement ever since.

Controller- I have a RK lite and I think a 4 outlet strip, but I need the temp probe for it.

Misc pumps- I have several power heads laying around, old Aquaclears, MJ1200's and some small Eheims.

Heater tube- I have a 500W Ti heater that I used to run from my controller.

Rubbermaid Brutes- I have 2, one for salt, one for fresh.

RO Unit, will need new filters, and a bleach bath.

Ok, I think that is all for now. What has changed over the last 3 years or so since my SPS garden came down? Anything major that I need to know about? Bio Pellets were on their way in, as I was on my way out, what's the verdict on them?

1D2N9612 L - Poseidon's NEW Adventure!

I look forward to being an active member of the community again, and getting my own slice of the ocean in my Living Room. A quick teaser of what once was, and what I am aiming to accomplish once again:

557161186 UWEAj M - Poseidon's NEW Adventure!

568527617 UiGp5 L - Poseidon's NEW Adventure!

Last one for now:
    567448243 WTFe8 M - Poseidon's NEW Adventure!

Thank you all for any input you can share
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Poseidon; 02-07-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: attached photo for display purposes you can edit to change

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yes!!! Looking forward to watching this one!

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

Heck yeah man! Welcome back.
    rc Hopkins sig - Poseidon's NEW Adventure!

Captain - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

Great to hear from you Mike!
    And a killer tank too!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Welcome back Poseidon! Finally someone who knows what they're doing around here I do love watching new builds. I'm not much on suggestions atm but as time goes by I'm sure I'll come up with something Good luck and enjoy!!!
    Last edited by MizTanks; 04-05-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Good to see you back! I'm looking forward watching your tank grow.

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I am heading to the basement to check my inventory!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Welcome back Mike.I am looking forwarded to seeing you top your old system!

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

^^^ That might be TOUGH!

I do have the advantage of being very picky now, and not so subject to the "I NEED IT NOW" that most fall into when starting out.

I spent an hour trying to decide between dry tonga, and dry BRS reef rock... WHO DOES THAT? LOL!

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

^^^ That is EXACTLY what that means!

I am going to be VERY picky about what goes in this time. I am thinking maybe 10-12 different acros, and a few LPS maybe some acans or Welso's.

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... Last