[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    ReeferMike - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Default ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

Here we go with a build that's going to be pretty much from scratch. I currently have very little equipment and no fish or coral to start this off with. So this should be a fun build, hopefully, and with a little luck, we'll all be able to watch it go from concept to completion, from infancy to maturity.

A little background about me, and about this tank in particular: I've spent many years in this hobby along with long hours and thousands of dollars. Due to personal reasons, around 2010, I sold/gave away everything I had and completely went on hiatus... Up until now... but lets back-track a little bit.

About 20 or so years ago I was just a kid. My dad and uncle both bought aquarims and ventured into saltwater, and then into reef-keeping. My dad bought a 90 gallon, and my uncle bought a 180. Both Clarity Plus acrylic aquariums. For years after that as a kid watched both of these aquariums grow into incredible displays. I remember bio-balls, wet/dry filters, VHO lighting, crushed coral substrate with ug filters...etc.. etc. long story short, knowing this tank was a big part of why, when I was 18, I bought my first very own aquarium, and by 22 was a full blown reefer. Skip to the present..

My uncle now owns and operates 2 different businesses... He works from morning to night 7 days a week... I honestly don't know how he does it but I have to give him a lot of credit. He asked me about a year ago if he decided to get rid of the tank if I'd be interested... which my reply was yes of course, but I was right in process of house-hunting and getting ready to move, so I wasn't quite ready for it. Now were all nice and settled in our new house, and he asked me about it again... So..... After all the childhood years of drooling over this tank....In my best evil villain impersonation.... ITS MINE!! ALL MINE!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

So now that I'm officially a blogger... Lets get down to buisness...

Heres a few pics of what I'm working with. Here's a pic of the tank as it was when I went to pick it up. It had been sitting stagnant in FW for who knows how long. Note the stand and canopy... I remember helping my grandfater in his garage build it...
    IMG 20140111 132930114 zpsfd6b9c8b - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

loaded up ready to go
    IMG 20140111 153223792 zps7f31d849 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

And here it is after a little elbow-grease... thats a little better... cleaned up really well for as old as it is.
    IMG 20140112 113542516 zpsbee6d288 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

And thats as far as its gone so far. So my current to do list is as follows:

-Im going to have to move a doorway in my family room in order to accommodate the tank. The location will be pretty cool, the door I'm moving will go into a fish room behind it for a refugium, prop tank and whatever else.

-I plan to modify the tank itself quite a bit... I want to install overflows and a spraybar type cls, and also modify the top bracing a bit for easier access and to improve the aesthetics of it.

- I also want to re-finish the stand and canopy, just to make it pretty basically.

So I've got alot of work ahead of me before this thing sees water again, and I plan to take pics and upgrade this thread every step of the way.... so stay tuned!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ReeferMike; 03-26-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    180 build in progress
    http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/me...-begins-30974/

Mike
    Likes doc1973 liked this post

First Name
    Mike

decided against the modification to the top of the tank
    Last edited by ReeferMike; 01-19-2014 at 08:47 AM.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I like opening up the bracing but wont it hurt the supports integrity?

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferMike View Post
    Here's what I'm thinking about doing to the top of the tank

IMG 20140112 113542516 Copy zps6c543333 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build
    I would not cut it. Don't underestimate the need for support.

First Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I like opening up the bracing but wont it hurt the supports integrity?

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    I would not cut it. Don't underestimate the need for support.

Just seems like it would be a pain to work in as it sits... I'll have to think on that one...

Speaking of thinking on it, since I got it cleaned up that's about all ive been doing is thinking about this tank. A plan is starting to form...

The original location I had planned for this tank has changed. I'm thinking now that it's going to be a through wall tank between my kitchen and dining room. Expecting resistance from my wife I pitched the idea to her, and she was like YES DO IT lol.

I've thought alot about lighting and plumbing too and think I'm going to go with t5 and led retro kits. That way I can start off small and keep adding to it as time goes on, being that I dont have cash just bursting out of my pockets. I'm thinking of starting with 2 60" t5ho, then add another 2, then add some led strips, maybe then another two etc..

Got a couple Ideas for flow, but still working out specifics. I do need a return pump recommendation. In a 180 how big of a pump should I be looking for? Whats a good brand pump, good efficiency, quiet, and under $200?

First Name
    Mike

So after much thought and consideration I've decided on a location for the tank and I'll be starting on it tonight by relocating my tv (mounted to the wall). I've decided not to go inwall and the tank will be right next to a very large storage closet that will become my "fishroom" For the first time in this hobby space will not be an issue. I went today and picked up the rest of the load from my uncle. Being that I'm starting over I'm very happy for all of the equipment I got... I'd much rather upgrade as time goes by than having to buy everything at once or just going without.

Heres what I got:

55gallon glass aquarium that I plan to use as a sump.

45gallon tall glass aquarium that I plan to use as a refugium

60gallon cube glass aquarium that I'm probably going to use as a topoff reservoir.

300 watt azoo titanium heater

protein skimmer looks like an old coralife 200? with a sedra pump. I tested it and it works and will definately get me by for a while.

1500gph stream pump

kent phosban media reactor

non-functioning mag 24 pump

2 working 6ft vho lamps and ballast. uv actinic white and uv super actinic bulbs

still need to get before startup:

return pump. probably getting a speedwave dc5000

bunch of pvc pipe, fittings, unions, valves etc...

salt

refractometer

sand... maybe

still need to do:

figure out plumbing/drains for the tank/build and install an overflow

remove carpet and put in a vinyl floor for under and around where the tank will be.

move the tv.

hold up a bank

Heres some dirty equipment in a dirty garage pics for the reefers out there with appreciation for things that are dirty...

using the 55gal to test the skimmer, pumps, heater, etc:
    IMG 20140115 171806547 zpsb2f202e1 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

the 60 cube and media reactor:
    IMG 20140115 171816341 zpsedc5a0c8 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

all the rock piled in the 45 gal
    IMG 20140115 171831377 zps783a4a48 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

the lights! the plan is to use them for startup and for probably the next few months until the tank itself is suitable for corals. Gives me some time to save some money.
    IMG 20140115 171746066 HDR zps8cbcad54 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

Coral Frenzy - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    Ken

Congrats on the new build!!!!!

I would agree that I wouldn't cut much unless you were to add some reinforcements.

First Name
    Mike

Yea that was just a thought. I think I've decided against that

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

First Name
    Mike

Here's a couple pics of progress so far. I've got my tv moved, and the stand and tank temporarily moved into its location in order to plan out plumbing and the layout of the fish-room. I'm pretty excited about its location... almost Ideal for a reeftank. I'm not sure if I want to put an overflow on the left side of the tank, or if I want two of them on the back wall... decisions, decisions.... Im ordering enough acrylic to go either way.

IMG 20140119 093740011 zpsf4c99da3 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

I've also got the rock that im using curing in a 60 gallon tank in the fish room. It is kept dark unless im in there checking on it, and I plan to run the skimmer for an hour or two a day. I found that alot of the rock that I got isn't lr, looks like landscaping rocks that were put into a tank. Those rocks have been separated and what's curing is what I have left. I'm planning on building rock stands so I may still have enough rock for the tank. Heading to the lfs for a new piece of lr to seed bacteria, some dechlorinator, and some activated carbon.

IMG 20140119 093755451 zps2770e68c - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build
    180 build in progress
    http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/me...-begins-30974/

Mike
    Likes MizTanks, Dmmz liked this post

First Name
    Mike

Busy day today. I went across the street to a carpet and flooring store and scored a linoleum tile remnant for $40. Then got the carpet cut and the tile and trim cut in. Nothing is nailed down yet though, and I'm about done for the day. I plan on replacing the base moulding in the room this week, so I'll wait until I have that in place to finalize the floor.

pics:

The remnant, with my year old lab mix Bella wondering what the heck is going on
    IMG 20140120 130026725 zps01e6c849 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

The cut out
    IMG 20140120 153843988 zps761bfd43 - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

And the turn-out
    IMG 20140120 191536180 zps11b4adae - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

IMG 20140120 193417399 zps1b98171d - ReeferMike's 180 gallon come-back build

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last