[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Shallow Reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Shallow Reef

Well i finally got a 9-5 job, its been a long time coming but has also been an adjustment to my life style to the new job. Went from having a lot of time on my hands, to having little free time. Nothing to look forward to other than i get home, eat dinner than just sit around till i have to go to bed... wake and repeat. I think this new idea i have will atleast give me something to do untill spring/summer.

Alright so here's the plan. Take it slow, do it right. Worked out well for my 90g.

Tank - Haven't Finalized yet. Either 25x25x14 or 25x25x12... rimless, black silicon.

sump - dunno plan is to have the tank drain into a fuge, than skimmer than return. dunno the size of the sump probably just gonna grab something from pet smart and do the baffles myself.

Lighting - i think im gonna go with a DIY LED, rapid LED has a sweet black anodized heat sink on there site.

Skimmer - Bubble Magus NAC6 or NAC7

return pump - probably a quietone 3000

flow - either a MP10 or the koralia's i have, probably the two 1400's to start than if i can get a deal on a mp10 ill switch to that.

stock - 2 picasso's and a flame angel.

corals - TBD, probably gonna use it as an emergency tank for my sps and some sps on the sand depending how they like the LED's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jimsflies; 02-17-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: attached photo for display purposes
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I got the idea to do this as i haven't been very impressed with my nano thats in my room, maybe its my fault maybe i just can't get a smaller tank like that to look how i want it. I think the main this is i enjoy having a sump and skimmer.

So im gonna do this tank and i have a feeling ill have more room to work with. shallow tank might be fun.

ill probably be ordering the tank tomorrow to get build from Great lakes aquariums.

than after that ill work on the stand, dunno how long thats gonna take since its hard to work outside with this weather.

one of the big things im hoping i can do is make it quiet as possible as im a fairly light sleeper.

Other than that it'll be a long process getting this tank going. but it'll be done right.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Looking forward to it! Congrats on the new job!

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sweet let's see this build!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

alright ordered the tank yesterday from Fish Docs in Ypsi, its made by a company called Deep blue.

24x24x12. Should be here in a week or so. when i get the tank i should be starting the stand build. kinda rough with the weather but hopefully it wont take long.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

The deep blue tanks are pretty nice.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I like the 12"but didn't want black silicone

2012 01 27 19 40 47 94 - Shallow Reef

2012 01 27 19 41 28 665 - Shallow Reef

2012 01 27 19 42 24 632 - Shallow Reef

Sump is dark...all crappy cell pics but simple 20g,, reef octopus 160 in the right, rubble/chaeto in the middle and return on the left

2012 01 27 19 41 10 605 - Shallow Reef

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

nice troy.

Alright got the skimmer ordered well paid for i should say as i got it used but in great condition off RC. also comes with an extra pump too. i went with the bubble magus NAC6.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

skimmer got delivered to my work and i picked up the tank today. talk about a long day of waiting.
    might work on the stand tomorrow, might now. depends how i feel after draining the sump on the big tank so i can switch out skimmers

here's the tank.
    2012 02 03 20 03 16 262 - Shallow Reef

2012 02 03 20 03 22 477 - Shallow Reef

2012 02 03 20 03 35 223 - Shallow Reef

and the skimmer
    a Bubble Magus NAC6 100-160g's figure thats perfect.
    2012 02 03 20 19 13 98 - Shallow Reef
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

That's going to be a great tank to work with.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last