[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

So we took the plunge

Bookmark and Share
Page 6 of 6 First ... 4 5 6
    ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

You're actually still cycling, which would explain a lot of the problems you're having. Look for that nitrite level to zero out and the nitrates to start to rise. The cycle is very hard on stony corals and anemones so lets hope your sebae makes it through!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by ETBReefer05 View Post
    You're actually still cycling, which would explain a lot of the problems you're having. Look for that nitrite level to zero out and the nitrates to start to rise. The cycle is very hard on stony corals and anemones so lets hope your sebae makes it through!

Thanks for the tip ETBReefer05 and everyone else.
    So I guess that the move from LFS to my house started everything over again.
    Because on 8/17 my nitrates were at 20 and have slowly fallen to zero.
    Is it worthwhile to buy a phosphate test kit? or just have LFS do it for me. They charge $2.00

ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Default Re: So we took the plunge

Quote Originally Posted by kmbyrnes View Post
    Thanks for the tip ETBReefer05 and everyone else.
    So I guess that the move from LFS to my house started everything over again.
    Because on 8/17 my nitrates were at 20 and have slowly fallen to zero.
    Is it worthwhile to buy a phosphate test kit? or just have LFS do it for me. They charge $2.00
    I guess my only problem with testing for phosphates is that there is no easy way for a hobbyist to reliably test them in a home or even LFS environment. Boxed testing kits can be thrown off by pretty much any contaminates in the water. Including salt (I hope that's in your water) nitrates nitrites ammonia. The last three contaminates I mentioned all react reliably to those color changing reagent tests they sell at every lfs, but you need lab grade equipment to test phosphates. I would say the best way to test for phosphates is to watch for hair or carpet algae, and cyanobacteria. Keeping magnesium high also stops phosphates from binding and lets your protein skimmer or water changes remove them. I've seen high mag treatments kill algae in a matter of days. Just my .02.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

CR Member
    First Name
    Kevin

So now we have been reefers for 3 months.

Lots of learning,tank ups and downs and evenings watching our little drop of ocean.
    First, thanks to reefers everywhere for your advice and help.
    I am realizing this hobby is not just about the tanks, but also about helping others become successful and sharing hard earned knowledge.
    I hope to return the favor someday.

With a bit experience, I no longer worry about every little thing that goes on.
    I pay attention, but don't freak out. I just go read about what I am observing and take appropriate action.
    I now have 4 LFS that I visit regularly. All have different philosophies, but all strive to make the hobby enjoyable.

Lots of changes.
    Sadly, the linkia starfish died, as you all predicted.
    But my better half learned to not be quite so impulsive, and listen to me once in a while ( at least in the LFS! )
    That big hermit crab died one nite in a QT ( timeout for wrecking the aquascape again ). Never did find out why.
    However, his shell and the Calliactis polypus symbiotes are thriving!
    The big Amplexidiscus fenestrafer had to go.
    He ate 2 more fish, a debelius lobster, and attempted murder on our fire shrimp.
    Traded him for a nice 6-line wrasse and a frogspawn polyp.
    I discovered I can keep acans, and I am addicted! Loving ricordeas and rhodactis mushrooms too!

The tank parameters are settled in, some coraline is starting to grow, and the tank is out of infancy and into toddlerhood!

Current Livestock

Cabbage Leather Coral
    Candy Cane Coral
    Orange Sun Coral
    Blue Sympodium
    Neon Carpet Corals
    Frogspawn
    Green Star Polyps
    Yellow Polyps
    Ricordea and Rhodactis Mushrooms
    Pulsing Xenias
    Acan Lord
    Acan Echinata
    Pipe organ Coral
    Zoas
    Palys
    Orange Tree Sponge

Debelius Reef Lobster
    Fire Shrimp
    Yellow Cucumber

Yellow Tail Damsel
    Fiji Devil Damsel
    Barberi / Tomato Clownfish
    Small Yellow Tang (I know! But she is headed for the 110 that is under construction)

Some current pix
    IMG 0421 zps5bcf90bb - So we took the plunge

IMG 0429 zps262bd181 - So we took the plunge

IMG 0428 zps9da7a9e3 - So we took the plunge
    IMG 0420 zps837429d3 - So we took the plunge
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default So we took the plunge

Looks like you can grow more then just Acans Tank looks wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 6 of 6 First ... 4 5 6