[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Bookmark and Share
Page 11 of 13 First ... 9 10 11 12 13 Last
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Growth shot of my radioactive dragon eyes.

They went from this (I later removed the kenya trees that were attached to them):
    1789 cimg2936 1 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

To this:
    1756 cimg3543 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Haha, you can even see the aiptasia in both pics! They have been the fastest growing zoa in my tank I would guess. They aren't the fanciest polyp around or the most interesting but I really like them.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

Those blue/red polyps are pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Love your description of what's happening with your tank Synergy-gives me great visuals.
    Thanks Miztanks! I think describing everything the best I can will be helpful for people setting up a tank and for me in the future when I go back and see how I could have done things differently. I'm glad you have enjoyed reading this thread. I plan to keep this tank running and updating this even after the contest as over, and I already have a few ideas for after the contest... stay tuned for a sneak peak...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Those blue/red polyps are pretty cool!
    Thanks Sir Patrick. I they are some of my favorites, they aren't growing as fast as some of the others but I was able to frag a little piece off and mount it a little bit lower in the tank to see if they like a little less light and flow.

One thing I did notice about them is there are at least two different morphs in the frag/colony. Majority just have a solid blue/grey center but a few have the red skirt, blue center with an orange circle surrounding the mouth. Here is a pic showing what I mean.

1796 cimg3713c - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

A couple pics for a wet and cold Friday night

So I took a single polyp frag from the radioactive dragon eye colony that has been growing very well for me and placed it near the bottom of my tank. The original colony is at the very top. Am hoping to compare the growth, coloration, skirt length etc. in different spots.

Here is a pic of the 1 polyp frag from a week or so ago:
    1793 cimg3588 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

And here is a fuzzy pic from today:embarrased: It has sprouted a baby polyp already!
    1795 cimg3674 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Here is one of my favorite Zoas, Bam Bams, from about a week ago under the PC lighting:
    1792 cimg3585 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

And one under just the Royal Blue LEDS I got from Ebay. The color is so amazing in person, but the picture isn't too bad.
    1794 cimg3581 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Everything in the tank is doing well, but it seems like periodically a few of the colonies will close for a bit then re-open. I know one day last week the temp in the tank got to around 86 degrees Fahrenheit and the zoas didn't like that. I need to install a fan up to keep the temps down now that summer is rolling around.

Algae hasn't been an issue, seems like it only grows a little bit on the back wall, which is easy enough to scrape off. Hermits do have a tendency to walk all over the zoas during the day but they open right back up when they decide to move on.

Hope you enjoy the update, let me know if you have any questions!

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

It looks like you are getting some great growth and I really like the morph you are getting.
    Doing good!

Quote Originally Posted by 2pairs View Post
    It looks like you are getting some great growth and I really like the morph you are getting.
    Doing good!
    Thanks 2pairs. I hope to frag off some of the morphs and see if they continue to grow out with the orange center.

A couple more pics I took the other day.

Here are the "mean green" zoas I picked up at the Lansing Swap. Haven't noticed too much growth but teh polyps are so small and there are so many I haven't really been counting. I think part of the slow growth is because I have moved them around several times. They have been in the same spot for a little while now and are finally starting to spread onto the adjacent rocks.
    1790 cimg3697a - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Here are some random green palys/zoas that I got at the swap. Not the most colorful, just green and white, but they sorta sparkle
    1805 cimg3669 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

"Green Bay Packer" zoas in there permanent spot. These grow very, very fast for me. Have already spread onto the adjacent rock in several spots, and started forming another mini colony in another location in the tank.
    1804 cimg3679 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Here is the mini colony that spread off when I had the original frag just sitting on the rock trying to find a good spot for them for about a week. Started off as one polyp and now has 7+.
    1799 cimg3708a - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Here are the "Tubs Blues" I picked up at the last swap. These are one of my favorites. The blue color is really striking and you cant see it in the picture but the skirt has a neon green hue to it. Really cool color contrast. After I bought this frag I immediately fragged it into several pieces and spread it around the tank so I don't loose the whole colony to disease and to spread the cool blue color around the tank.
    1802 cimg3689 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

"Happy People Eaters" that I picked up at the last swap as an impulse buy. These are really big polyps (see the Green Bay Packers in the bottom corner for comparison). I have been feeding these sinking pellets every few days and they seem to be loving it. Can't wait for these to spread out!
    1801 cimg3703a - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Another picture of the red/blues I showed a few posts back.
    1800 cimg3713a - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

I was told that these are "Fire and Ice" zoas, not sure but I think they look nice. Have put on a few new polyps since I got them, hard to tell how much they have grown though because of the location.
    1798 cimg3713b - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

Here is an overhead shot of the left side of the tank. Some of the polyps closed when I opened the hood
    1803 cimg3697 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Awesome collection! I totally love the Tubbs. Had some a while back for about 2 days-they disappeared
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Looking real good.

Put me in line if you ever sell any of those blues.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pairs View Post
    Looking real good.

Put me in line if you ever sell any of those blues.
    Thanks 2pairs! They have been growing pretty well, should have some frags sometime this summer. Will keep you updated.

Tank Update

Even though the contest is over, I plan to keep the nano up and running and let things grow in. I am very happy with the current stock list and will probably keep it unchanged unless I find something that I just cant pass up.

I did make a recent purchase for the tank that I am excited about. I really want to keep the rockwork in this tank unique and open but wanted some place to put frags I'm growing out other than the sandbed. The solution:

1810 pict0191 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano
    Rock-mags, from aqua-mags. Its an artificial rock with magnets embedded within it so you can attach it to glass and it appears to be floating.

I was planning on building one myself with cut dry rock but these were so cheap I figured I would give them a try first. I really only have room for the smaller of the two in this contest tank but since I was already paying for shipping I picked up the larger version also and will incorporate it into any future tank I set-up.

1811 pict0198 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano
    Top down view of the larger "rock". You can see how the magnets attach the rock to the glass. One downside, as you can see are the dry-side magnets stick out about 3/4" but I guess it isn't anymore unsightly than a magnetic cleaner. Dimensions are ~9"x5"x4"

1812 pict0200 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano
    The smaller rock, which will be going into the contest nano. This rock is only attached with one magnet. Dimensions are ~4"x4"x3"

1814 pict0197 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano
    Front view of the larger piece. The material is really easy to cut and shape. I plan on drilling some holes into teh rock so I can place frag plugs into it.

1813 pict0196 - Synergy's 12gal zen nano
    The smaller one, from the front. Since it only has one magnet it can be mounted 4 different ways, but I like they way it is in the picture the best.

Overall I think the rock-mags are decent for the price. The magnets would be too weak for tanks with thinker glass, and even though the back of the rock is flat and seems to be smooth I am a little concerned about it possible scratching the tank. Therefore, I am going to but a thin layer of silicone on the back before installing them on the tank. They are very light and easy to drill which is nice, and I think the look they will provide in the tank will be really unique, and look nicer than just an ordinary frag rack.

Page 11 of 13 First ... 9 10 11 12 13 Last