[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tanglovers 520g Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Quote Originally Posted by tanglovers View Post
    ...Some of the most expensive aquatic animals we have were her pics.....not very many wife's would appreciate a clarion angel christmas present...

She is really enjoying the upstairs 60g rimless, non-photo, cold tank we set up a couple months ago the most. This tank needs its own build, it is coming along nicely - 65ish gallons of water, running at 65-69 degrees WITHOUT a chiller.....
    Keep us posted.... You have cool tanks... and a cool wife! Some spouses do nothing but complain about tanks...
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

First Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by XSiVE View Post
    question: I noticed that you have(had?) some space above the tank in the hole in the wall. Are you planning on putting doors up there for front access? My in-wall is completely boxed in and Im not so sure I like it that way.
    I will have front access to the tank. This one will be set up just like my 220 was. I have large panels that hang on the wall made from Starboard that gives it a finish look. For front access, they slide to the slide or lift off for full access.

Here is an shot to give you an idea from the 220. Hopefully tomorrow evening, this area will be back to looking like this, right now while I am doing the drywall finishing the sectional and everything is piled in the corner on the other side of the basement.

Basment001 - Tanglovers 520g Build

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Now that's pretty trick. That's one reason I've alway not really loved in walls, but that is a creative solution that looks great.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Scott

It was modeled after RalphP's TOTM on RC from a few years ago. He hired a company to make his, this was my version of it. Works great. Making a couple small changes to them this time I install them but it will be virtually the same look.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

If it's not too much trouble I would love some detailed pics of how you put that together. I was just talking to my wife tonight about possibly adding front access to mine and Im looking for ideas so it doesnt just look like a cabinet above my display

First Name
    Scott

It is a real simple design. It is basically to 45 degree angle pieces that sit on each other.

There is a strip that is mounted to the wall with a 45 angel outward:

StarboardonWall - Tanglovers 520g Build

Then on the back of the panel is another strip with a 45 angel outward:

starboardonpanel - Tanglovers 520g Build

As you can see very simple to work with. I used 3/8" thick starboard. They were expensive to buy in full sheets but it works great, holds up well against the water and lighting and cleans up very well.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

There's only one problem I see with this design.......the couch is facing the wrong way. Need to rotate 90 degrees left!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Scott

LOL, we just get a kink in our neck sometimes, esp if the TV show is not very good or lots of commercials. The TV in the pic got fried by lighting, the new one is a little bigger and sits closer to the wall.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Nice build! yeah, I know all about the "When did you get that?" I dont really get the money questions though, good thing.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

First Name
    Scott

Update, pics to come tomorrow.

Aquascaping was modified slightly to add a little more character and to make the main viewing angle a little more pleasing (due to couch location).

Wall is all done and painted.

Intank plumbing is done, all dry fit. I need to glue and then paint it - going to rough it up with some 240 grit sandpaper and then paint with Krylon Fusion paint. Then let it set up until the tank is filled - at least a week out.

Big change was I made an access door / opening on wall next to the stand to allow me to get the sumps in place easier. I made roughly a 32" x 36" opening for this. Made sure it was beefed up as this was in a load bearing wall but it is all done and went great. Is stronger now then before This opening was not a huge deal because my fish room is on both sides of the wall, will look nice when done. There will be plywood doors held in place with magnets.

Tomorrow game plan:

- Order the baffles for the sumps
    - Clean up old equipment (BK300, Geo 818, Geo Kalk, ATBs)
    - Drill holes in sumps (11 holes total)

Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last