[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... Last
    tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Default TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

I had a 90G upstairs in our main living room with the sump in the stand. I did not have ATO at first so after I got distracted and let too much water run back into the sump from the RO/DI, running down the floor thru the ceiling tiles in the basement finished den, I decided next tank would be plumbed to the basement!
    Live and learn right?
    So, this tank would not quite fit over 2 beams and when the grandkids would visit and they inevitably would run past the tank making it bounce slightly. I was a nervous wreck that the tank would crack. After it was fully grown out, I finally decided to tear it down. I was going to take a break but when my son found out, he was upset that I gave up my set up. He sent me money and said "MOM, you have to get another tank. You are the one that got me into it. I need you to do this with me!".
    So I found a sweet cube on a selling forum which fits perfectly over 2 beams and started my build. This was August of 2011.
    I just wanted to put a thread on this site so I can add to it. Recently I had a tank crash when I went through major shoulder surgery. During my rehab I was diagnosed with cancer and had to start treatments for that. So needless to say, that is where my priority had to be and my tank was severely neglected. All my clean up crew died as did almost every coral. I have a small Neon Caulestra that is trying to make a come back. It is actually feeding and a baby blue which has white tips but isn't showing a feeding response yet. This makes me sad as it was a favorite and I haven't been able to find another baby blue. This was the first I had seen in this color.
    Pictures coming up of the build.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Always learning, loving this hobby.

First Name
    Vicki

I ordered my overflow from Glass-Holes.com and they did a fantastic job. I also ordered 2 directional returns.
    So after MUCH fear and worry, I decided to practice on an old tank I had with a cracked end and drill a hole. It really wasn't that bad so I went ahead and drilled my display tank today. I am proud to say, I drill both drains and 2 returns.
    WP 001383 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Here is the before picture

WP 001394 1 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Ready to drill

WP 001395 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Drilling away
    WP 001396 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

WP 001397 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    last one to go

WP 001398 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Pat myself on the back!!! Ready to install the overflow.

WP 001399 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Installed and now I realized I forgot to paint the back! Oh, well. I guess I will tape it off and paint it tomorrow.

GOOD DAY for me

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

8/23/2011
    I am using a Euroreef RS80 skimmer that has a mesh mod. It worked well with my 90 so I am confident it will do the job.
    PAINTEDBLACK - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

I painted the back black today. I have been trying to take apart an old 50 gallon tank to use the glass to make baffles for a new 50G sump. I got the frame off the top and bottom and one pane loose on the side but I can't seem to get the rest of them loose. Any suggestions? I have never tried this before. I have scraped all of the silicone off and used a blade to scrape into the seams BUT I can't seem to get all the way through.

First Name
    Vicki

I had a hard time finding the glass for the baffles for my sump. I ended up going to Henderson Glass company and getting the panes cut from them so I could get the glass thick enough. Lowes and Home Depot is just way too thin!
    I am debating on a different layout. I normally put the fuge in the middle with the skimmer in the first chamber and the last chamber be the top off. I have been doing a lot of reading on this and I know it is controversial but some say if you put the fuge in the end then there is a smaller chance of the pods getting chopped up in the motor of the skimmer. I am running water into the skimmer chamber to be skimmed and another inlet into the fuge. Hope it works. I can always make another sump at a later date if it turns out to be a bust. I for sure want the ATO chamber to be as large as possible since I do go out of town for up to 2 weeks at a time and my 78 year old dad is the one that comes over and helps me with my tank.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Finally! We worked all day on my plumbing to the basement. My poor husband is not an aquarist and really doesn't understand the whys and wherefores. He saw i was going to do the plumbing and decided he should jump in. He is just doing it how I ask him without questions for the most part since he doesn't really know what I am doing. GRIN. He's a trooper!!!
    My husband also built me a stand to put my sump on and I put my baffles in today. I will do a water test tomorrow afternoon to check for leaks. Then I will plumb the pump to the sump.
    WP 001462 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Plumbing

WP 001464 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

WP 001465 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    I will think I will pick up another bulkhead and plumb a drain with a shut off valve to the drain of the sink. Then I can use gravity to do my water change. Just open the valve and let the water drain. I plan to put a 50 gallon barrel next to the stand to mix saltwater and pump it straight into the tank for water changes.

All the fittings are in place but not glued. We wanted to do a trial run to make sure everything is like we want it and tomorrow I will glue it all in place. I am so excited!!!
    I will post pictures of the sump tomorrow

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Sump baffles are in place
    bafflesinplace 1 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Plumbing behind the tank
    plumbingbackoftank - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Plumbing to the sump. You can't see the drain to the utility sink with a ball valve. The drum will be a saltwater mixing tank. I have a mag 7 pump and still need to drill the hole for the bulk head. There is also a lid to help prevent evaporation.
    sumpplumb - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

I have started filling the tank. I need to go pick up my live rock from a friend's house. I want to be sure the temperature is correct first.
    halffull - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

I now have the tank up and running. Looks like I will need more rock. Just waiting for it all to settle and not be so cloudy. The sump is running as well. I will need to go down and drill a few holes in the pipe that the float valve is on so I can actually tie it down so it is just sitting in there.
    Here is a picture of the sump.
    WP 001481 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    The tank running. THe lights are temporary until I can get metal halides.
    WP 001477 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Ignore the wires by the tank. Those go to CPU in the corner that you can't see. WE are getting ready to redo that. Also the chair by the sump with the cords on it. My husband is getting ready to make me a panel on the wall for all of plugs and switches. Just needs a motivator

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

WP 001483 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Here is the latest of my fish room. Cat doesn't belong but was very interested. The hose out of the trash bin is what the saltwater will be pumped through into the tank for water changes. We got our power strips up with drip loops. I have the main pump on a separate power strip that is plugged into the main strip so I can hit the switch to just cut off the pump in a hurry. I hope I have thought of everything.

I have put a 15G tank on the bottom shelf to use for quarantine. I have a hangon skimmer in the garage I am going to bring in and set up for when I buy fish. When you guys do quarantine do you just use pvc pipes and elbows instead of live rock and sand in case there is illness of some sort? Powerhead, skimmer, lots of water changes and heater with PVC?

Likes MizTanks, binford4000 liked this post

First Name
    Vicki

(/12/2011) Here is my Auto Top Off. I had trouble in my old sump with it staying in place and I didn't want to drill yet another hole so I asked my son if he would help me drill a hole at the spot I indicated and reach in from the back through that hole to attach the float valve. Then we drill a hole in the black plastic frame to run a zip tie through and around the pipe. It is very stable and stays right where I want it. I need to pick up another float valve to put on saltwater mixing drum.

WP 001496 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

(I now know that this is not the safest method of ATO. I ordered a ATO kit that should be here tomorrow that will not be running directly off the RO/DI unit) I will have it running to a 45G barrel with a bottom float to stop it from running dry and a float switch to cut the Aqualifter pump on that will pump it to the sump where the float is will still be in the tank. ) I just hope I can figure out the electrical correctly. I am sure I will have to enlist help either from my husband or another reefer. I may also use a different Top off container that is not quite so large.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

9/13/2011
    After trying a lot of different rock layouts while cycling the tank, I bought more rock from another reefer. I decided I do not want it to touch the glass on any side and since it is a cube I have the space to make it an island. I went and bought fiberglass rods. They were out of clear so I got the red and will camouflage it where won't show. I am doing it in sections so i can switch it around if necessary.

Laying out the rocks
    WP 001498 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

The final aquascape. Still very cloudy but should be clear by tomorrow
    WP 001499 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

This morning everything has cleared up and looks good. Here are the 3 views of the tank now. Rich, the heater was a temporary thing. I had added water upstairs directly into the tank when we were working on it and wanted to warm it quickly. I had a heater in the sump as well. It has now been removed.

Front View:
    WP 001503 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Side 1:
    WP 001506 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Side 2:
    WP 001504 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    I will do testing this morning to see where we are on the Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.
    I tested as follows:
    Day 8
    Ammonia .25
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 10

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

This thread is copied from another site I had by build on. I have the water parameters on there as the tank cycles. I used cured rock from my old tank and from another reefer's tanks so my cycle was very small.
    So my husband modified my canopy so my MH can rest 11" above the water or adjust down if necessary. I believe this will be an effective height. I am still not satisfied with the stain. I took the cabinet door to Lowes and they custom tinted the stain. It is too orange to me. Any suggestions before I add the protective finish on it? The front panel is removeable and is held on by magnets. The top also lifts up for cleaning. it is lightweight so I can remove it easily if I need more access to the tank. it looks a bit like a top hat but I did not know any other way to handle the situation as he didn't want the light open in the room.
    Canopymodification - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    He is going to install and bathroom safety outlet for me upstairs at the tank. I already have this downstairs where the sump is. We are thinking two circuits. One for the powerheads and moonights, T5 and a separate one for the MH. Any ideas? (ignore the powerstrip sitting on the floor. It is not plugged in. Just forgot to pick it up. :no:

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

9/23/2011
    So we modified the canopy. Here are pictures of the canopy open being stained and drying.WP 001540 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

WP 0015411 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Here we go. Installed with the Metal halides. I love it. Nice color but not too strong. I am excited. Just another week and I can start adding a few things. I have been working on a "wish list" for the fish I want. I want to plan the most peaceful ones first then add the territorial ones last. Anyone have experience with the yellow headed blue jarfish?
    WP 001543 1 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

WP 001543 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

The MH turned out to very expensive to run and also a bit much for my tank. This will be changed out at a later date. I loved the look of the light. I am experimenting now with some different bulbs in my T5. It will arrive tomorrow. I am going to put in ATI Blue Plus and Coral Plus. Hopefully that will be a good color and par for the tank as it is today.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

9/23/2011
    Today we worked on the electrical, drip loops and storage under the stand. We use Windows Media Center so we put the CPU under the stand since most everything is in the basement. Here is a couple of pictures.
    WP 001549 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

WP 001548 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Now I just need to get my CUC ordered and start looking for some frags to get my corals started

Likes MizTanks liked this post

First Name
    Vicki

9/26/2011
    I bit the bullet and ordered my CUC tonight from Reefcleaners.org. Hopefully, they will be here Wed. or Thursday. Here is what I ordered:
    80 Dwarf Cerith
    5 Dwarf Planaxis
    25 Florida Cerith
    19 Nassarius Vibex
    9 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)
    11 Nerite Snails (Large)
    PODS

I was going to order some Limpets but they weren't included in the free shipping deal. Maybe later. Hopefully my tank will stay nice and clean with all these little critters.

This turned out to be a good clean up crew except I would not get the dwarfs again as they just travelled into the overflow and lived in my sump which i really did not need a clean up crew there.

I lost all but 1 snail in my tank crash. So far, no algae so i haven't rushed to order more. The sand got pretty bad. I siphoned off a layer of the larger aragonite over a weeks time. I will siphon a little more off from the back of the tank and will add a finer Caribea sand. When I bought the first batch, the store that I called the night before, said they had the special blend and would hold 2 bags for me. I went when they opened and they had sold it so I went to Clio, they didn't have it and I ended up in Saginaw and just bought what they had. I was pretty frustrated by that point.
    I do not like how it grabbed all the detritus and turned really dark. I now have a diamond back watchman goby that is keeping it clean but he really likes a finer grade of sand than what is in there.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

10/1/2011
    Here are a few frags I got from a couple of friends. Thanks Charlie and Dale. Pictures are just from my cell so not so great but you get the idea.

caulestrea - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

greenpalys - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

WP 001599 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

nucleargreens - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

stick - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

greencap - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

frag - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

digitada - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

redcap - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

bluespeckledmushroom - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

godlclovepolyps - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

pinkpaly - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

singularia - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

frogspawn - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

pocillipora - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

redmacro - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

GreenSingularia2 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Cardinalsside - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Cardinals - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

First Name
    Vicki

Here are the corals from the full tank shot.
    IMG 20120116 153333 1 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

This is before I got the baby blue Caulestrea. I am having difficulty finding a picture of it. I may not have taken one. Weird. I usually put pictures of everything in there.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Its been a year since I posted on my build. WOW! I can't believe I have been so negligent in keeping this up to date. In April I had to have shoulder surgery due to tearing the labrum and rotator cuff. The Labrum was torn completely loose from the bone and had to be reattached. It was a very painful recovery. 2-3 months out from completely my physical therapy I was diagnosed with B. Cancer. I had to stop therapy and go in for surgery July 30, 2012. I got MRSA which I had for 8 weeks and was totally laid up.
    After the shoulder surgery I was very limited so my tank suffered from sporadic water changes. I had to get help lifting the water into the mixing chamber. Then when I had the cancer surgery I could not even go down the stairs. So my daughter came to help me at home right after the cancer surgery and did 1 big water change before she left. She knew nothing about it and tried to do as i directed from the upstairs as I could not go down stairs yet.
    She had to return home to NC and 8 weeks later I still had not been able to check my tank out or do water changes. I was just about ready to drain it and switch to FW, as I am not supposed to be in fishwater during chemo, when several Michigan Reefers offered to help me. During this time all of my corals died. I discovered when Andy from Reef Paradise came over to help my salinity was pretty low.
    We are now back up to normal in my parameters after a few water changes. The good thing is I have a pretty good sized sump downstairs so the algae didn't get too bad with a Yellow Tang in there to eat it up.

So I just got a few frags from another reefer a few days ago. The only thing that was left living is a couple of hairy mushrooms and 2 frags of Caulestrea that are very bleached out and closed up. I am not sure if they will make it or not. We will see. SO here is what I just added to the tank. The pictures are a bit blurry as I just snapped them with my phone. I know, my bad. I should get my Nikon out. Maybe I will later.

temporary 12 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Flames of **** Lepastrea 11/2012

temporary 10 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Frogspawn 11/ 2012
    temporary 8 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Duncans 11/2012

temporary 7 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Red & Green Blastomussa 11/2012

temporary 11 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Yellow Polyps 11/2012

temporary 9 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    Mini Bubbletip Anemone 11/2012 This is a terrible picture. Will try again later.

So that is my start again on my corals. I feel like I am almost completely starting over. I also lost all my clean up crew so am going to have to buy some snails and crabs.

I started slow on my fish as I wanted to get exactly what I wanted. Not just throw any ole fish in there. What did I do? I took a few Pajama Cardinals off a guy. Started with 4 and now have 2. They are HUGE and love shrimp like a tasty snack. So the shrimp I bought never even made it to the bottom of the tank. argggggg. I may get rid of them so I can get a few shrimp to go in there. Am also debating on a watchman goby and pistol shrimp.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Wow great job...now I know who to see when I need a hole drilled!

First Name
    Vicki

So as of today, I have added the following fish:
    2 Black and White Darwin clowns
    Diamond Back Watchman Goby
    Orange Firefish
    Yellow Tang
    Pink Wrasse (I think it is a Female Whip Fin Fairy but not positive)
    Blue Eyed Midas Goby (Love this guy)
    Still have 2 Giant Pajama Cardinals (Anyone want them? If I can catch them, you can have them. A frag would be nice for a trade)

Dan made me clear mesh screen cover for my tank so I could take off the canopy. I also got a T'5 fixture from Ryan that sits on top of the rim of the tank.
    I switched the MJ's out to 2 Koralia Powerheads and added a wavemaker that I bought from another reefer

I have a good amount of Caulerpa in my sump which seems to keep nitrates under control.
    I feed Nori everyday for the algae eaters and SPectrum pellets everyday for the fish. I also feed mysis and other frozen foods every other day. So I guess I am a heavy feeder but my skimmer seems to be handling it fine.

Here is a picture of the screen. I love it!!!
    20130112 205135 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

FULL TANK SHOT & VIDEO
    20130113 212015 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread
    http://s931.beta.photobucket.com/use...71205.mp4.html
    Last edited by tcp316; 01-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.

First Name
    Vicki

Here is a shot of the Caulestrea colonies I had in my 90. I loved them! Hopefully, I can get these going and thriving again.
    WP 001340 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

WP 001338 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

This was my old Cabbage Leather. I am happy to say I have a new one now.
    cabbageleather - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Here is my current and "New" Cabbage Leather. I don't know what it is about this coral that I find so special but I really love it. The crazy thing about this one is it has a mind of it's own. I glued it where it would be centered on the this rock but it has moved over to the left on it's own. It is almost completely off the rock it was on that i glued to the main rock. Anyone else have this experience?
    20130112 205125 - TCP316's 70G Cube build thread

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... Last