[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Titus's 20g Clown tank build

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member

Update time... So I really want a custom Melevs sump for this tank, but with MACNA coming up, I know he is slammed and I am trying to save money for the show. That said, I also really want to keep this build moving forward.

This takes me to this past Monday. I had won a bunch of Thrive products from an LFS via a Facebook contest, and I needed to pick them up. I would feel a little like a jerk if I went in, took my free stuff, and walked out without making a purchase, so as soon as I walked in I was looking around for something I could use. I spotted a 5.5g tank for $15 and I immediately thought TEMPORARY SUMP!!! So I will eventually get a custom Melev sump, but this will keep the build moving forward for now for a mere $15.

I had some old glass tank lids and decided to hack them up in the sump project. This is what I ended up with:

20120908160601 - Titus's 20g Clown tank build

Water will enter in to the sump in the top right by the skimmer and overflow to the bottom middle compartment. This compartment will get a media rack made out off egg crate, allowing the water to flow through a filter pad, then likely a bag with carbon and GFO. It then travels out the bottom into the chamber on the lower right. I will fill this with rubble or Chaeto... Not sure at this point. From there it overflows into the final compartment where the heater and return pump reside.

20120908160625 - Titus's 20g Clown tank build

CR Member

1 step forward and 2 steps back.... I got it all plumbed up yesterday and leak tested it... all good there. Unfortunately I managed to break off a tooth in the sump that I will need to fix, and I realized that the back of the tank needs another coat of paint.

20120916175602 - Titus's 20g Clown tank build

CR Member

I added a couple more coats of black paint to the back of the tank tonight. I still need to fix the overflow tooth I broke yesterday, and I want to do some work on the bottom of the stand. I was hoping to install an American DJ PC-100/A that I won at my local club meeting last week, but it is too big for the stand. I may look to trade it for a PC4 model but I am not sure yet.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chuck

The tank is really coming along Titus. It'll look really good once the rock and sand is in it.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by chazde3 View Post
    The tank is really coming along Titus. It'll look really good once the rock and sand is in it.
    Thanks... I am tempted to add sand and saltwater in the next few days, but i really like the ease of aquascaping dry. I am trying to hold out.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Thanks... I am tempted to add sand and saltwater in the next few days, but i really like the ease of aquascaping dry. I am trying to hold out.
    I don't blame you lol. I have never started a tank with dry rock but could definitely see the advantage when aquascaping, you wouldn't feel rushed to get an aquascaping done.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by chazde3 View Post
    I don't blame you lol. I have never started a tank with dry rock but could definitely see the advantage when aquascaping, you wouldn't feel rushed to get an aquascaping done.
    Yep... I love the way my big tank turned out and I know there is no way I could have pulled that off without dry rock and an empty tank.

tank1v - Titus's 20g Clown tank build

CR Member

I purchased a pair of "Todd's Long Island Reds" at MACNA, and they are doing well in QT for now.

201210010955491 - Titus's 20g Clown tank build
    201210010956081 - Titus's 20g Clown tank build

I also purchased about 20lbs of Marco rock at MACNA for the tank. I will be working to get the tank up and running by the beginning of next week.

CR Member

The tank is up and running. I ended up going with an inexpensive fishneedit.com 4x24w T5 fixture that seems to get decent reviews on Nano-Reef. It is running the stock bulbs for now but I plan on replacing them with 2 Blue+, an Aquablue Special, and a Coral+ soon. I also have an old Neptune AC3 controller hooked up to it. It was on my big tank but I recently got an Apex Lite for the big tank and so the AC3 was freed up for this tank. I put my MACNA Maxi-Jet 900 in it for now but it is big and noisy, and really a little too much flow for the tank, so I have a Koralia Nano 425 on order. I haven't had a chance to get the wiring mess cleaned up, but at least the tank has water in it and can begin cycling.

20121010153859 - Titus's 20g Clown tank build

20121010153843 - Titus's 20g Clown tank build

CR Member

Today I replaced the Maxi-Jet 900 with a new Koralia Nano 425. I love how small and quiet it is compared to the MJ900, but it seems like a lot less than half the flow that the MJ was putting out. I'm glad that it doesn't blow sand everywhere like the MJ, but I am not sure if it is enough flow.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last