[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tom@HaslettMI's 75 gallon mixed reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Tom@HaslettMI's 75 gallon mixed reef

After 12 years running a 50 breeder it was time to get a little more space. So, awhile back I upgraded to a 75 gallon tank I've had in storage. Which means... it's time to start a new tank thread!

IMG 5653 - Tom@HaslettMI's 75 gallon mixed reef

The main reason for the move was to get more space... especially for my Tridacna derasa and T. squamosa. I also wanted to gain more open swimming space.

Overall the move went fairly smoothly. Minus breaking a T5HO bulb and dropping brains of my Tunze 6055 in the tank. Thankfully after fully drying out it still functions normally.

The process was as follows:

Moving Day 1 (starting around 10:30 pm)
    1. Mix 20 gallons of saltwater in a 20 long positioned on the counter above the 90 gallon sump.
    2. Move Caulerpa taxifolia and skimmer into 20 long.
    3. Attach CPR overflow onto 20 long to drain into 90 gallon.
    4. Transfer all liverock 'n stock into the 90 gallon while draining clean/clear water from 50 breeder.
    5. Move output of return pump (Maxi-jet 1200) to discharge into 20 long.
    6. Move lights and circulation pumps to 90 gallon.
    7. Leave 15-20 gallons of saltwater in the 50 breeder.
    8. Stir the sandbed in the 50 breeder by hand, siphon out detritus laden water, and dump down drain.
    9. Leave ~2 inches of water in 50 breeder with sandbed.
    10. Add Maxi-jet 900 and heater to 50 breeder.
    11. Go to bed (2:00 am)

I will continue to recap the move later... it's time to go play in the tank!

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 10-20-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Good luck Tom! I don't think it will take that long.

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Tankster View Post
    Good luck Tom! I don't think it will take that long.
    Thanks!

The BGM is doing great. I still need to figure out where I want it in the aquascape. I'd like it to be in the spotlight as it's a beautiful coral. Currently it is in the back where it's far too hidden from view.

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow! How beautiful is that!! Look at that Duncan Every thing looks sooo happy Tom. I know you gotta be feeling wonderful!!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Wow! How beautiful is that!! Look at that Duncan Every thing looks sooo happy Tom. I know you gotta be feeling wonderful!!
    Thanks Jamie. Yeah, your Duncan is much happier in the new tank. I'll get a close up of it for you shortly. I'm going to try to keep this thread updated with pics of everything in the tank as a sort of time capsule to be able to look back on. We'll see how well I do with that!

Overall I'm really happy with the rock structure and space in the tank, but the coral placement is far from final. That's always a slow, but enjoyable, process for me.

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Haha I know what you mean...I have corals I refuse to glue down just cause I know I'm gonna be wanting to move them Everything really does look much much better in this tank. I'm happy for you Tom!!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Yo Tom!!! What's up with this thread? UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Yo Tom!!! What's up with this thread? UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!
    Hi Jamie! Thanks for giving me the much needed kick in the butt to update the thread.

Bottom line: Life is too busy. And it seems like I spend most of my tank-time on the pico.

So, the main tank is on cruise control right now... and not looking its best. Most of the corals and other inhabitants are doing fine though. It's really kind of frustrating in so much as the upgrade took place quite awhile ago and I still haven't finalized much of the coral placement.

A word of wisdom to all who would listen...

Don't put your tank in the basement (unless your basement is where you hang out all of the time)!!!

I just mixed up a water change, and I'm getting ready to do a water change blitz. The goal is to clear up the cyano plague and reestablish a better alk and Ca balance. Hopefully I will be feeling better about the condition of the 75 gallon soon.

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Aww geezzz it's in the basement!! What's up with that? That's gotta be hard, attention wise for sure. I just know you'll get it together right? You now know I'm gonna be a pain in your a$$ right? Hehehe

First Name
    Tom

Well I've had some tissue loss on some of my LPS recently. So, I decided to get my water tested at @Preuss Pets . Well the nitrates are 100! My best guess for the reason is that the skimmer from the 50 breeder was not keeping up with the larger tank. Well, I had been thinking that the skimmer was undersized and was on the lookout for a larger skimmer body to match up with the Tunze hydrofoamer pump I have... and it just happens that they had a used Euroreef rs180 skimmer body... and here it is!

new skimmer outside the tank next to the old skimmer running in the tank...
    IMAG1054 - Tom@HaslettMI's 75 gallon mixed reef

...and vice-versa
    IMAG1056 - Tom@HaslettMI's 75 gallon mixed reef

Hopefully, the NO3 will be back under control in a flash.

Tom

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... Last