[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

TPF's 50g Reef Edutope

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Try t find a tiny one. Sometimes you can find them as small as 1 1/2". My kole tang is less than 2" itself.
    Yeah, that was the plan. Although the smaller you go with tangs, the more ich magnets they are...
    I was looking at putting a hole in there, but I've never seen one that small. They are my favorite fish.

What about a henochius? They're active, bright and more suited to this size tank.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

What about a Canary Blenny? Very bright yellow with tons or personality
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

It doesn't have to be yellow! And I'm afraid the blenny and hawk won't play nice...

Looking into a forceps buterflyfish, seems like they won't pick at softies or LPS. Any ideas?

Decided on replacing the tang with a Longnose Butterfly. Don't look too hard to care for and definitely have the interesting or unusual factor I'm looking for.
    I saw one do a backflip in someones tank and that somewhat sold me on the fish.
    Plus we won't have SPS, only stinging LPS and Octocoralians so coral nipping shouldn't be a problem! Finally no need to worry about aptasia, I can pul some rock from anywhere now!
    The Heniochus diphreutes will be too hard to tell apart from the corallivorous Heniochius species and I don't want to end up with a coral muncher.

Mr. Microscope - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month - August 2012 Tank of the Month

What's going to happen during the summer? Will you come in to do maintenance?

Also, stay away from zoas. Don't want to poison the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Microscope View Post
    What's going to happen during the summer? Will you come in to do maintenance?

Also, stay away from zoas. Don't want to poison the kids.
    Summer is 1 0f 2 options.
    I can take in the livestock or have a friend who can, tank can stay running.

Yeah good point I guess...

Lots of people seem to be downers on this

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Not me, I think this is a great idea. I wish we had a saltwater tank when I went to school ....I would have showed up for class a lot more I know that. How young are the kids? Who knows you could inspire a few new marine biologist.

What about summer school? I had to go to it enough times to know they usually have a class room or 2 full of kids and a few teachers hanging around for most of the summer who you could ask to help out with the tank maintenance and you would only have to stop in once a week or so to check up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
    Not me, I think this is a great idea. I wish we had a saltwater tank when I went to school ....I would have showed up for class a lot more I know that. How young are the kids? Who knows you could inspire a few new marine biologist.

What about summer school? I had to go to it enough times to know they usually have a class room or 2 full of kids and a few teachers hanging around for most of the summer who you could ask to help out with the tank maintenance and you would only have to stop in once a week or so to check up on it.
    The kids are in the 3rd-5th grade. Yeah I hope to inspire people...

I'm stopping in every 2 weeks as of now for a 10g water change. The tank is KISS and automated so I think it should be cool.
    Theres no summer school there.

Thanks for the support! If you wanna help out with donations LMK!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am, and others also, in full support of this project. Just chiming in our opinions along the way.

I am sure i would have been brave enough to tackle a saltwater tank, on my own, much sooner if i had seen one, and was educated one one, while I was in grade school! Awsome idea, and I commend your efforts!

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last