[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    waucedah_joe - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Joe

Default Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Here's what I've been up to the last few months.

Got this tank from Great Lakes Aquariums in Warren Michigan. Figured since I was in the area to pick it up The Wife and I might as well take in a Red Wings game. They beat the Blues to make a good trip great.

140Build 004 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Stand frame in it's raw form.

140Build 001 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Partially assembled.

140Build 002 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

All together.

140Build 003 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Got a surplus Formica counter top from Larson's Custom Counters. Had it cut down to length so I had to redo the ends.

140Build 006 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Painted all the raw wood white and put on the sides.

140build 015 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

I decided to build the front on a frame so I could remove it in the event I had to put in or take out a tank from under the stand. Here's a few shots of the frame assembly. You can see the counter top in some of them. The side has one coat of stain too.

140build 009 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build
    140build 010 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Front frame complete.

140build 011 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

I screwed the front face to the frame from behind. Used the straps to pull everything tight first.

140build 013 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Front face ready to stain. I hate making doors.

140build 008 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Here's a few more photos of the progress so far.

Staining the front and doors

140Build 018 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

140Build 020 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

Test fit everything in position.

140Build 017 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

First Name
    Joe

After I put on the trim, I had to take the front off and remove the doors to paint the backside. Well I've got the inside surface of the front painted, the trim on, and the final stain and poly applied so It's time to put it in place for good. I'm so close now I can taste it. (or maybe that's the cold Bush in my hand... whatever.) If you look real close you can see the reflection of the soon to be replaced 75 gal.

140Build 002 1 - Waucedah Joe's 140 Build

youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Very Nice!!!

kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

Great start!

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Looking good, wish I thought to build a stand just a touch bigger than the tank. Keep the posts coming!

Go Wings!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lookin good!!!

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

wow nice wood work!

First Name
    Joe

Thanks all.

I looked at literally hundreds of stands trying to decide what I liked and what I thought I could build. I saw one that had a tile lip around it and liked the idea of having the top of the stand bigger than the tank to keep the inevitable spills off of the rest of the stand and also somewhere to set things like acclimation coolers, test kits, beer, etc. I was just going to cover the stand frame with hardwood plywood when I remembered that I had a bunch of tongue and groove cedar left at camp from a ceiling project years ago, so that part was just out of availability and trying to keep the cost down. Luckily we had an early spring or I'd have been waiting for the snow to melt so I could get to camp and get it.

First Name
    Joe

Cycle was done so, this was the big weekend.

Everything got moved OK, no casualties yet. When I got all the rock, fish, shrimp etc moved Saturday, there was 1 fish unaccounted for. Made sure it didn't go carpet surfing or anything like that when Jill asked, "could it be in the sand"? Well it had never done that before but it's a wrasse which are known to burry themselves in the sand for protection so I figured that could be a possibility. I left the old tank half full of water and left a heater and circulating pump going. Sunday morning still no fish. A couple of hours later, Jill says there it is, and sure enough he was swimming around the tank. I tried to net him 2 or 3 times unsuccessfully, then in a wink it was gone again. I went about other things until later in the day when I figured I'd start siphoning out the rest of the water and suck out as much sand as I could with the siphon. You can't siphon sand. Rats! So now I start raking my fingers through the sand looking for it. By the time I dug it out the water looked like a chocolate milk shake so there's no way I can see to net him. now I start scooping the sand out with a plastic coffee can and I figured once there was not enough sand to hide in I'd siphon out all the water and get him when the water got low enough to see it. I kicked him up a few more times while I was scooping the sand, missed him with the net a few more times when I just took a blind sweep with the net and got him. I put him in the new tank and he didn't look too good, but after 15-20 minutes he perked up and is still alive as of last night. I'll have to take some pictures tonight before the algae comes. I still have to do some more plumbing and electrical work but the stressful part is over for now.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

very nice craftmanship on this
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last