[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Results: Which tank would you want to set up?

Voters
9. Register or Login to Vote
  • Breeder tank for my clowns

1 11.11%
  • seahorse tank

4 44.44%
  • Mantis shrimp tank

3 33.33%
  • Crab tank

1 11.11%

What to do w/ this?

Bookmark and Share

Default What to do w/ this?

So a few month ago I thought I'd help a friend out who was trying to set up a tank. I covered the cost of the tank and worked out a payment plan they could handle. Well needless to say I now have the tank and am out the cash. So what to do now, I'm not sure I want to bother w/ selling the thing as I got a good deal from a friend on it, so I am thinking of what I might like to keep in the tank, also I may turn it into my hubbies first SW system as he has expressed some interest in it

It is a 10gal Truvu tank, and after all the work I did setting them up is plug and play, w/ stock LED lighting.

My other half mentioned he likes the critters...you know emerald crabs and shrimp type animals, so hit me w/ the ideas

And a vote on some of my ideas

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default What to do w/ this?

Flaming Prawn Goby, 2x Sexy Shrimp and a TailSpot Blenny. A few assorted softies couple of LPS and BAM!! You got a great lil nano
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Flaming Prawn Goby, 2x Sexy Shrimp and a TailSpot Blenny. A few assorted softies couple of LPS and BAM!! You got a great lil nano
    Heck I have almost all that already, could have the tank stock that way today. I wouldn't mind seeing how some of those corals morphed under LED's though
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I would set my other half up ! My wife and I enjoy it together so much. Tho she doesn't seam to do much of the grunt work. Hey how'd that happen??? I think a crab tank would be cool
    Likes pmrowlson liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    I would set my other half up ! My wife and I enjoy it together so much. Tho she doesn't seam to do much of the grunt work. Hey how'd that happen??? I think a crab tank would be cool
    That's kind of where I'm wanting to take this tank. I've tried for 3 years now to get him on board so this could be it .

So what are some cool crabs I could throw into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Strawberry crab, cooler looking then an emerald IMO, and a few different hermits would make for a cool little tank that gives ya the itch LOL
    They are way better looking then the emeralds.

Any outcasts? doesn't have to be reef safe.

Not to sure what you mean by any outcasts? But yeah I would still stay away from the more aggressive crabs (gorilla for example) as you wont want them taking out whatever else you put in the tank.... yes all crabs have the ability and its possible but certain crabs are more widely known to be terrorists and should be eradicated

Also FWIW, since he has limited interest, I would just let him pick everything out if it is going to be his tank.... My wife wanted a tank and I started putting SPS in it and she lost interest quickly despite me allowing her to pick the fish she wanted for it, it was "no longer her tank".
    Oh for sure, but I have an idea of what he's thinking when he says critters. He has no real interest in the corals, though he thinks their pretty. So reef safe isn't really a concern. I've seen some cool looking crabs, that would tear a reef up, but be okay in their own place. Just want things to show him, and more if he likes things know what else he picks isn't going to kill it. He got worried about the blue damsel in the tank getting eaten, and most here would consider a pest. I think that's kind of where he's heading, when he says an army full of emerald crabs. Obvious reasons I cant do that...1 per what 20gals?

Really..... I don't see why you couldn't keep more then one in a 10g, as long as you can provide ample food for them... and I think you can lol

Another thing I think would be cool....a lobster. There are a few that we can get that look cool but I have never really had the set up to attempt it. Not 100% a 10g is big enough but something cool and different to look into IMO.
    That's a great suggestion, I've seen some colorful ones that were small, but never reef safe. This could be the tank for it.

Here are some cool ones
    http://www.freshmarine.com/purple-orange-lobster.html

So it would seem the question of what to do has been answered for me.Yesterday a friend came by and gave me a pair of breeding harlequins. They are Huge and were delivered carrying. Right now I am making up the last bit of water so the tank can star it's cycle, till than they'll live in one of the 40Bs.

All set up sorry about the blurry pics
    010 8 zpsb783af83 - What to do w/ this?
    009 10 zps5c403404 - What to do w/ this?