[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Window Food

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Default Window Food

Hi Everyone,

I thought that I would finally start a thread on my nano.

Current FTS:
    June, 2012
    picturephp?albumid353&amppictureid3034 - Window Food

Equipment:

Tank: Standand 29 gallon glass
    Light: 150watt Phoenix 14K DE bulb, Lumen Max 3 pendant, Galaxay eBallast
    Cooling: Air King clip-on fan
    Heater: Aqueon 150watt (replaced due to internal condensation build-up)
    Eheim Jager 100W
    Circulation: 3X Koralia 425
    ATO: JBJ
    Filtration:
    1. ~25lbs live rock
    2. CPR BakPak2+ protein skimmer (Biobale removed)
    3. AC50 with Chemipure Elite and biomax filter media (biomax removed)
    Modified with media basket from InTank in order to run polyfilter before Chemipure Elite
    Stand: Solid Oak stand from Great Lakes Aquariums
    Canopy: Home made open top oak canopy

Fish:
    2X True Percula clownfish, tank bred
    Sixline Wrasse

Corals:
    Soft:
    1X Ricordea yuma
    Ultra Orange mushroom, Actinodiscus
    Frilly/hairy mushroom, Rhodactis indosinensis
    GSP, at least two varieties, Pachyclavularia
    Zoanthus
    Kenya tree, Capnella

LPS:
    Blastomussa merleti
    Duncan, two color variants, Duncanopsammi
    Frogspawn, Euphyllia paradivisa
    Caulastrea, three varieties
    Chalice, Echinophyllia
    Lobophyllia

SPS:
    Montipora digitata (green, purple, red and unknown browned out frag)
    Birdsnest, Seriatopora hystrix

Inverts:
    Baby bubble tip anemone, Entacmaea quadricolor
    2x scarlet red reef hermits
    ~4x red tip hermits
    1x zebra turbo snail
    2x cerith snail
    other hitch-hiker snails

Background:
    This is my second saltwater tank. The first I had in 2002 when in grad school, and this was a 20 gallon tall FOWLR, in which I kept a single oscellaris clownfish. My initial intentions for this current tank was to simply replicate the first tank, but slightly "upgrading" to a 29 gallon. This aquarium has now been up since May 2010. After about 6 months, I got the itch to try my hand at keeping a few easy, low light corals. These included the Kenya tree and button polyps which I still have. About the time I got the first corals I upgraded from 55watts of 50/50 PC lights to 110watts. I was never really happy with the color of these lights, not much blue tint (it seemed the 50/50 PC lights had better color on my first tank, and it is possible those were a different brand). Some corals did OK under these lights. I began to collect some LPS and I think the only way these were kept alive is through supplemental feeding. In September 2011 I had a major set back, which was a partial tank crash. I think what likely caused this was stirring up the substrate too much while trying to vacuum clean it. Interestingly the crash hit the mushrooms and button polyps hard, taking out most them. Of the LPS, only frogspawn looked sick, but it did not lose any heads. Two major upgrades were made in January 2012. One was the switch from PC lights to metal halide. The MH light has done wonders for all the corals. I would never recommend PC lights to any new reefer, although some people seem to have success with them. The second upgrade was from a iron stand to a furniture grade solid oak stand (more of a safety driven change). A third small upgrade was the addition of the AC50 with chemipure elite.

Full tank shot:
    January, 2012
    picturephp?albumid326&amppictureid2681 - Window Food
    Image is a little more blue than the tank looks to eye...still need to work on camera settings

ETS:
    picturephp?albumid326&amppictureid2683 - Window Food

Caulastrea and one of the Duncans:
    picturephp?albumid326&amppictureid2682 - Window Food
    I really like the blue Caulastrea (right)...especially under actinics it has a beautifal, streetlight-like glow to it...hopefully I get a picture of it sometime

Well, that is it for now. When I have more time there are other things I would like to talk about... equipment upgrades and corals and fish on the wishlist...Other challenges I have had with the tank thus far.... Looking forward to your input. Eventually I would also like to have the appropriate scientific name listed above for the tank inhabitants, and I will work on updating the tank profile with that over time.

Thanks,
    BC United

PS. the tank name "Window Food" comes from my 2 year old son...I will have to explain later
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BC United; 07-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Thanks for sharing your tank!

Tom

FYI - I only see the first pic of the clown and frogspawn... which both look very happy!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Same here, seeing only the one pic but it sounds beautiful
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Default Images visible now?

Strange that not all the images are visible... I can see everything in the thread currently...let me know if you still can' see the other images in the text. Thanks for looking!

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Default A few new pictures

This Duncan is one of my favorite corals:
    picturephp?albumid327&amppictureid2717 - Window Food
    I picked this frag up at the Ann Arbor swap this past fall. It started with two heads but now has five. Its "tentacles" really stretch out. I had to remove some GSP and kenya tree near it because a few tentacles were retracting apparently due to contact. The Duncan really seems to be a gentle giant.

Slipper coral:
    picturephp?albumid327&amppictureid2713 - Window Food
    This guy has been in the tank for about a year. It seems to be a very hardy coral and is a monster when it comes to feeding on mysis. The clowns were using the slipper coral as a host until they moved on to the frogspawn.

Ricordea Yuma:
    picturephp?albumid327&amppictureid2712 - Window Food
    This is one of two Yumas in the tank. I really like the orange/purple coloration. This guy was a free gift from my LFS! I would like to collect some R. Florida as well.

Cool tube worm village:
    picturephp?albumid327&amppictureid2715 - Window Food
    I really like this little maze of white tube worms. These came on some live rock. Anybody know what a more accurate/correct name is for these filter feeders?
    Last edited by BC United; 02-12-2012 at 09:51 PM.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Careful of the tube worms they will overtake your tank. I started with two on a piece of Rick and befit I knew it they were everywhere. On the plus side it allowed my to get a copperband butterfly who ate them all in a month. He was fat and happy and switch to frozen food easily.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Tank is looking great!!

Captain - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

Looks nice! I like the shroomie!

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Careful of the tube worms they will overtake your tank. I started with two on a piece of Rick and befit I knew it they were everywhere. On the plus side it allowed my to get a copperband butterfly who ate them all in a month. He was fat and happy and switch to frozen food easily.
    Thanks for the heads up! I am thinking about adding a sixline wrasse again...I wonder if he would chow down on them too. But for right now, they are fairly localized in the tank and I think they are cool.

CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Tank is looking great!!
    Thank you Sir! I think the tank pales in comparison to many of the tanks on this site...but I am happy with it thus far and I am learning a lot about reefing from this tank. I look forward to when the coral frags grow out some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Looks nice! I like the shroomie!
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last