here is a link to my old tank thread http://www.michiganreefers.com/forum...cefs-tank.html
i have not kept my tank thread updated i had a 120gal up
for about 5ish months. it was more of a grow out/ glorified frag tank as i did
not have the time to make it more. Chris(polskareefer) had been giving me a
hard time to get my system up and running. Make something i could enjoy,
be proud of. Over the past couple of weeks i have been putting in alot of late
nights and weekends trying to get my tank where i want it. about a week ago
it was there (we all know this is a lie/ exaggeration as our tanks are never
The story of zccef 120 gal 2.0 begin friday morning at 3AM.
I woke from a deep sleep, with one very clear thought in my head. I cant
stand that clear silicone on my fish tank I must have black. Costs and time
be dammed i have to pull my system apart and get a new tank with black
silicone. Quite coincidently i turned my head to the left and looked at my fish
tank with its silly clear silicone and saw water pouring from it on to the floor.
Nothing crazy but like a niagra falls for ants.
I woke my dad up for some help on the 3AM tank revamp. I am very thankful
for his help as it would have taken a long time to do this my self.
I called up Chris from Reef Solutions Friday morning and explained to him the
situation. The silicone must be black! He told me he would make some calls
and get back to me. I barely had time to hang up the phone before he called
me back and told me he could have one for me around noon. Now thats what
i call customer service!
Once i got it home i prepped the tank for drilling. I used a drill press and a
diamond hole bit that would allow me to put 1in ID bulkheads in the tank.
Next i siliconed the overflow box in.
This is what an overflow looks like siliconed in with type II. Wrong silicone,
Type II releases ammonia as it cures. While this is not as harmful to humans
it is not good for marine life. Once it is cured it is supposed to be ok though.
Needless to say i removed the silicone and went to the store to buy the
Ahhh there we go now i have to correct silicone. I also picked up a new tool
the pro caulk set. Had no idea if it would work but for $10 i figured why not
try it out. the tools required are shown in the picture, also the type II is on
the overflow in the back left. Turned out to be a great tool, i put extra
silicone on and used my finger to apply it one direction then went back the
other direction. I did this to make sure it had a good seal. I the used the pro
caulk tool to clean up the lines. This is what a overflow with the correct
silicone on it looks like. Notice the very clear difference.
from there i prepped the back for paint.