CaptiveReefs Nano Contest
Important Contest Dates
Begin Stocking: January 3, 2010
Receive Contest Frag Pack: January 25, 2010
Last Day to add Livestock: April 30, 2010
Last Day of Contest: May 28, 2010
Judging Complete: June 21, 2010
Overall Best Nano
- The prize will be awarded to the overall best nano and will be voted on by CR general membership. To qualify you must update your contest thread at minimum as specified below. Better documentation will likely impact your chances of winning.
Display tank with a water volume of 30 gallons or less may be used
Total water volume may not be more than 30 gallons (e.g., 30 gallon display may not have an additional sump, a 10 gallon tank could have a 20 gallon sump).
You may use any equipment (pumps, powerheads, skimmers, reactors, etc.) that you want.
Any additive is also allowed.
The spending limit on corals is $250. Corals purchased from CR sponsors count half toward the spending limit. For example if you spend $100 from non-sponsors, you can spend another $100 from sponsors and will have spent the $150 limit. You must post a receipt with a picture of the stock to allow for others to see what you have spent. Receipts will be necessary to prove source of purchase for corals that are purchased from sponsors.
On hand Livestock:
You may stock your nano with livestock you already own from another system. You need to clearly identify which pieces you are adding and document the size. You will also need to post a market price for the piece which will count against the $250 spending cap. Live stock obtained "free" from other sources also is subject to this requirement. A generic price guide is presented below to help determine value of livestock.
Temporarily Exceeding Spending Limit:
You may temporarily exceed your limit if for some reason you need to move stock from another system to your nano or use it for a quarantine tank. This will not automatically disqualify you from the contest. However, by April 30 (one month before the end of the contest) you must show that you haven't spent more than the contest limit based on the purchase price or determined value when the coral was added to the tank. In other words if you spent $20 on a colony of zoas and it doubles in size by April 30, this colony will still count as $20 toward your limit.
You may trade any corals in your tank with other CR members. All trades will be public knowledge, this means that after the trade you must make a post stating who you traded with, what came out of your nano and what you got in return.
Fish and Inverts:
You may add any other non-coral livestock you wish to your tank. These additions must be documented on your build thread. The last date any livestock may be added is April 30, 2010. Fish and other livestock do not count toward the coral spending limit.
Should any stock die, this should also be noted in the build thread. Excessive deaths would likely impact winning the Overall Best Nano Category. As the goal here is to build a healthy sustainable nano tank.
Additional Contest Rules
- You may start your construction and cycle at any time. You may not stock the tank with corals until January 3, 2010. To insure this on January 3, 2010 at 12AM EST, an announcement will be made about an item that must be placed in the tank and photographed showing the tank is not yet stocked. This picture must be the first photo in each members contest thread. It will be a common item e.g., canned food, a key word written on paper and placed in the bottom of the tank, each member giving a thumbs up next to the tank, etc.
- You may also start with cured rock if desired.
- Tank stocking may begin on January 3, 2010.
- You are welcome to start late on the contest, up to Febraury 26, 2010. Of course starting late will likely be a disadvantage.
- Each participant will need to start their own build thread in the contest forum. At a minimum each participant is REQUIRED to update their contest thread at least 2 times a month WITH pictures, updates can be whenever the member would like. The update must be made at least 7 days apart (this is to track growth during the contest). Participants can post updates as often as they like.
- No additional livestock can be added within 30 days of the contest end, April 30, 2010.
Contest Entry Fee
The contest entry fee is $20. 100% of this goes towards the cash prize for the contest winner. Entry fees must be received by January 31, 2010 or if you start late, entry fee must be recieved asap up to February 26, 2010. Please note, Captive Reefs is not making any money from the contest.
The winner will get the cash pot from the contest buy in and an 8 gallon biocube donated by Amazon Stingrays!