[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

Bookmark and Share
Page 11 of 19 First ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

The little skimmer that could...

2012 03 021701 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

I'm anxious to see what it does when it actually has waste (other than the ammonia being dosed) to deal with.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Maybe I missed it...but what's up with the sand castle footings?

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Maybe I missed it...but what's up with the sand castle footings?
    Nope - You haven't missed anything Jim
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

While I'm intrigued by this build, I think I may be equally annoyed by it... over 100 posts and still no real answers to what's going on. I'm officially/unofficially dubbing this build " The X-files nano".

Tom

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    While I'm intrigued by this build, I think I may be equally annoyed by it... over 100 posts and still no real answers to what's going on. I'm officially/unofficially dubbing this build " The X-files nano".

Tom
    LOL - Thanks and "sorry" Tom

"No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Monday was a mixed-news day. The good was that I believe we've got the cycle completed. Once again the 3ppm of ammonia added to the tank on Friday was gone on with no signs of any nuisance algae or bacterial blooms...

Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 0

I'll dose another 3 ppm ammonia today to keep things going and reach out to Tal to let him know I can pick up the clowns next week. The flip side of the coin was that part of my concept didn't provide quite the anticipated results...

As I've been working through the idea and build for this tank, I had what started as two separate concepts that, somewhere in the process I had believed could be incorporated together. While in a larger tank I'm convinced it would work; in a tank this small including both designs resulted in a bit too "muchiness", so...

I spent the better part of yesterday removing and remaking each installation for this tank, removing the second design component. I am confident this will achieve the intended results.

I hope to have it completed in the next few days and be able to start photography. Hopefully by early next week you'll be able to see what I've been up to. Best of all, I've got a really great idea and virtually all the needed parts for next year's build
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 03-07-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Likes jimsflies, Tom@HaslettMI liked this post

First Name
    Thomas

Interestingly, Gnome glass introduced a line of blown-glass skimmers at reefstock that are somewhat similar to the one created for this build. I still prefer my design, especially considering the $90 price tag for their largest model which is still smaller than this design. I believe the larger diameter drain line will be much more efficient and I prefer the use of magnets instead of a zip-tie.

Gnome Glass Skimmers and strainers launches at ReefStock

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Would look a heck of a lot better in my tank the what I'm using now...better yet would fit great in my fuge
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

WillBattle - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Will
    Awards Photo of the Month

Any updates coming soon?

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by WillBattle View Post
    Any updates coming soon?

Updates are coming, but there will be a bit of a delay. I suffered a concussion as a result of a silly accident over the weekend (kitchen cabinet attacked me.) As a result, I'm running at about 50% power. I'm not sure I'll have much to show this week and I'm in DC for meetings on the hill early next, so it will be a bit. I am hoping to visit Tal to pick up the clowns soon, so perhaps they will be the next photo-op.

WillBattle - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Will
    Awards Photo of the Month

Gotta watch out for those cabinets... Sneaky as ninjas! Lol but in all seriousness I hope you feel better and I look forward to what this build has in store

Page 11 of 19 First ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... Last