[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

Bookmark and Share
Page 13 of 19 First ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    That is just to freaking cool!!! Where the heck are you coming up with these ideas?
    Thanks Jamie - Just a little "outside-of-the-box" thinking

Quote Originally Posted by AJ :) View Post
    Your build is bizarre. In a good way. Kinda makes me think of weird things, like if there were fish tanks in Tron would they look like this? Keep up the great work.
    LOL - Thanks AJ,

That's kind of the point of this build - As long as environmental demands are accounted for, a reef doesn't have to fit into "conventional" molds. While I probably would not have this as my primary (only) tank, it's certainly been a fun ancillary tank project, and...If you're intrigued with what you've seen so far, there are more pieces coming, all of which are definitely atypical
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Wow, Tom! This is a very cool build and a ver unique idea. I look forward to following this.

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    Wow, Tom! This is a very cool build and a ver unique idea. I look forward to following this.
    Thanks Chris - I'm curious to see how it turns out as well
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Wow this thing is slick, one quick question; How did you steal this aquarium from the matrix?
    Likes TheLittleMermaid liked this post

Tropical Buff - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bart
    Blog Entries

all I want to know is where do i go to get tickets to see this rare exhibit??

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
    Wow this thing is slick, one quick question; How did you steal this aquarium from the matrix?
    LOL - Thanks I think

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Buff View Post
    all I want to know is where do i go to get tickets to see this rare exhibit??
    I wouldn't recommend anyone drive around the block to see it in it's current state but - give me a few more weeks and hopefully it will be worth seeing

I took a moment to feed the few Acans in the tank and was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly they are growing. These frags had 2 or 3 heads when purchased from Mr. Coral on Feb 7 - Today I see as many as 8 new heads on some of the frags.

Acans22 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

Acans24 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

Even the Gorgonian is starting to "puff up" a bit...

Gorg4 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

First Name
    Thomas

I just completed the next piece, using a process I'll call Micro-Plane Fragging. It includes multiple paper-thin sections of coral harvested with a scalpel and placed much in the way you would apply gold leaf (it will make more sense when you see it.)

I'm cautiously optimistic that it will work as imagined, but I'm going to wait a couple days to make sure it's viable before adding to the tank and photographing.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Those Acans look awesome!!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Those Acans look awesome!!
    Thanks Jamie - They are filling in pretty quickly

This next piece is definitely the "ugly duckling" of the bunch. Had I not promised photos soon, I would have let this one grow out a few weeks to become a bit more presentable.

I've had a Tryee Toadstool in my tank for a couple of years...

2012 04 06115033 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

As of late it's begun dropping a couple baby's each month so I thought I might as well find a use for them. I let a Toadstool Frag grow on top of some rubble rock, then using a Dremel, cut-off all but a sliver of the rubble rock leaving a slightly concave attachment point. This was then attached to the top of an acrylic cabochon.

For the second coral on this peice, I affixed a small frag of GSP to a magnet frag and placed it on on a side wall of my tank. Over the next month or so, it covered the frag disc and began to cover the glass in a paper-thin purple film (no polyps were yet visible.) Using a scalpel, I lifted this film from the glass walls and affixed it to the cabochon using a tiny amount of Cyanocrylate around the edges.

2012 04 05093246 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

2012 04 05101750 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

Cabachon1 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

2012 04 11140009 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

2012 04 11140204 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

2012 04 11140318 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

2012 04 11140348 - CalmSeasQuest's 2012 Desktop Nano

Remember, I told you this tank was going to be "abbynormal"

Over time, the GSP should completely cover the cabochon right up to the stalk of the Toadstool. As the cabachon is suspended a couple inches above the sand bed, it should be easy to prevent the GSP from spreading beyond this piece.

I'll have photos of the new Picassos soon as I'm picking them up from Tal later this afternoon.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

Clever....very clever indeed!

Page 13 of 19 First ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... Last