[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 18 First 1 2 3 4 12 ... Last
    Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

Sounds like one heck of a little/big tank. Can't wait to see it in action.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

The tank and lights arrived today, sorry for the cell cam photos...
    2011 01 14143530 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

I'll likely relocate the tank to another part of my desk to eliminate the heat build up under the hutch.
    2011 01 14143829 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Pay no attention to the coloration - it's using the stock bulbs shipped with the fixture. My ATI order hasn't arrived yet. 2011 01 14145705 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

I'd prefer to hang the lights, but as no hanging kit is available, I'll have to come up with a DIY solution to get the lights up off the tank to simplify access.

The Aquaclear 110 and surface skimmer also arrived, but the 110 takes up too much space. I'm going to replace it with a SubCurrent or small canister filter. The search for a skimmer has narrowed. I like the Hydor Slim Skim, but it requires a depth of 10". It's looking like the Tunze 9002 will be the choice.

Still waiting on rock and substrate. I should be able to get the tank wet early next week and begin cycling.

First Name
    Thomas

We have rock

2011 01 14204949 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

10lbs each Pukani and shelf. EPO putty finally back in stock and on the way. Should be able to start building next week.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looks like this tanks coming together!

First Name
    Thomas

Default poco a poco

Things are coming together slowly. The rest of the equipment has been ordered, (original post updated to reflect final equipment list) and will hopefully be on hand by the end of the week.

I've been working on the aquascape design. The design goals were to create an intricate design with 3-sided viewing that would add to the aesthetics of the tank (rather than just being a place to glue livestock.)

• Create multiple elevations in such a way to provide for PAR variation and partial shade (4 T5 in a 9 inch tank is lots of PAR.) This was done through the use of cantilevered columns and by using an Inland saw to "slab" very light and porous Pukani rock, allowing light to pass through most of the higher elevation pieces.
    • As much as possible, use the Aquascape design to hide the mechanics (skimmer, filter, pumps...)
    • Design Deltas the Jetties to divert water flow through the open rock work and coves.
    • Create planned environments for SPS, Z/Ps, Acans, chalices and perhaps once the tank matures, a RBTA.

Here are a few photos of the current design. The rock-work is mocked-up on paper set to the exact dimensions of the tank with the location of the mechanics penciled in.

Front
    2011 01 17133158 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Back
    2011 01 17133118 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Back side of the Corner column that will mostly obscure the mechanics
    2011 01 17133141 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

MY EPO epoxy order won't be in for a couple of days, so there's still time for fine tuning. Although I'm liking the design so far, working in the tank will be difficult. Due to the small dimensions, many areas will be accessible only through the use of forceps. Some adjustments will be made during final assembly to maintain a sufficient gap from the glass to allow a cleaning magnet to be used.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

looks super sweet man!

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Nice rock work! I am about a week away from a build of my own... I like the idea of slabbing some pieces...

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

**** of a start, Tom! That really looks nice. I too like the idea of slabbing some pieces. This should really add some dimension to the tank.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

yeah the slabbing idea is primo! great for frag placement! cant wait to see it running!

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

@chort - What's the fun in that? We wanna see you one-up him, to make it all the more exciting. And, as you pointed out, it ain't even wet yet!

Page 2 of 18 First 1 2 3 4 12 ... Last