[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Default CalmSeasQuest's 12 Gallon Nano Build

When Does a Nano Not Look Like a Nano?...When it's 3 feet W I D E
    I'm a bit late getting this started as I just ordered the tank and lights today. I've been contemplating a tank for my office desk, and the Nano contest seemed like a good prompt. I considered a Biocube, but decided on something a bit less conventional.

This will be a mixed reef, rimless glass with dimensions 36" X 8" X 9" - A whopping ~12 gallons (7.5 gallons water,)

Finding a lighting solution that would work with such a narrow tank was a challenge. I decided to use T5s, but virtually all the 4X39W fixtures were too wide. I finally located an inexpensive, off-brand model that was narrow enough to work so this build will be lit by 156W of T5s. Obviously 13 Watts/GAL is overkill - but it gives me more potential bulb combinations, the option of mounting the lights higher, varying photo periods and using lower PAR bulbs as desired. I also plan on creating an aquascape that provides partially shaded areas.

Here's the equipment list..
    • Tank - Mr. Aqua 12 Long (36" X 8" X 9")
    • Lights - Catalina Solar Black 4 X 39W T5 (ATI Blue+, Blue+, AquaBlue, KZ Fiji Purple) ReefBrite 36" LED 50%/50% Royal Blue / White
    • Controller - Apex Aquacontroller, lab grade pH, ORP, PM2 with salinity probe.
    • Skimmer - Tunze 9002 w/ custom InTank collection cup.
    • Mechanical filtration - AquaClear 70 fitted with surface skimmer and custom InTANK media insert using BRS ROX 0.8 GAC and BRS HiCap GFO as needed.
    • ATO - Tunze 3155 Osmolator feeding Kalk laden RO/DI
    • Automated daily water changes (3% daily) via 2 BRS Top-Off pumps (50ml/min) controlled by the Apex
    • Water movement - 1X MP-10Wes running ReefCrest @ 50%. 1X Tunze 6015 Nano Stream
    • 20 lbs Custom made "Puzzle" Rock created from BRS Dry Pukani
    • Substrate - 1.5", Tropic Eden Aragalive ReefSnow and Miniflake (50%/50%)
    • Heater - Hydor 50 100 Watt

Here's the final livestock that has been placed in the tank.

No code has to be inserted here.

Copies of all livestock receipts are available here.
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 05-28-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Updated equipment list - posted final livestock list.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

lol i love the size! should be nice considering you can fit a good size light over it!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sounds like a cool idea of a tank! Looking forward to watching this one come together.

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

That sounds good, I can't wait to see it.

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

This should be a unique one!!

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Don't worry about getting in late! I built my own tank and am very behind. Water has yet to hit my tank...

This sounds like a Mr. Aqua tank, right? That's the tank that we use for frag swaps. It's an awesome tank! I have always wanted to do something cool with it besides set it up for a few hours and then break it down. I look forward to seeing what you do!

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I am behind too. I still need to order leds and sand the holes for my bulkheads. There is plenty of time, not worried here.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Thanks everyone, (Rosebud - yes it's a Mr. Aqua tank.)

The more I think through this build and the challenges of it's shape the more I like it. If this works on a Nano, I may try a larger version as a room divider. A few more pieces of the puzzle came together today,

• I ordered rock from BRS, a combination of shelf and Pukani. The real trick will be creating whats in my "minds-eye" in such a tiny space (I see lots of EPO putty in my future.)
    • I ordered a bunch of T5s to play with (ATI Blue+, Aqua Blue Specials, Purple Plus, True Actinic and a KZ Fiji Purple.)
    • I decided not to drill this tank or use a sump do to space limitations. Instead I'm going to gut an AquaClear 110 and convert it into a Pico "hang on sump". It can provide some mechanical and chemical filtration while providing a hidden area for hardware ( heater, probes...) and/or Cheato or Bio-media if desired.
    • Still looking for the right skimmer - Most won't work with a tank thats only 9" tall. While it may not be needed (very light bio-load and frequent water changes planned), It just makes me nervous to have a tank without a skimmer.
    • Because this tank is in my office and will be unattended (often for 3-4 days at a time while traveling) I decided to use a trusted ATO option. I ordered an Osmolator to handle top off / Kalk dosing.

I'm torn on the question of investing in another controller. It seems almost silly to invest the dollars on a 12 gallon tank, but in reality - this tank is so small and changes potentially so quick to happen - arguable it's the poster child for a controller w/Internet access and alerts. That and I can also find uses for another Apex

Yet to be determined is circulation. I think I'll wait till it's wet so I can test different options. I've got a bunch of small powerheads laying about and a couple EVO 1400s (likely overkill) that I can use to get a sense of what will be needed.

The next hard part will be planning and building the aquascaping. Speaking as someone with very little patience, (and even less artistic ability) this will be a challenge

I've also been thinking through a stocking plan. I was planning on primarily use livestock on hand in other tanks, but finding receipts from purchases years ago will be a challenge (I usually destroy the evidence so as not to be reminded of the cost of this hobby/obsession.) I also now see that even with using stock on hand, the $400 limit will be "limiting". I was planning this tank as a mixed reef. The costs assigned to Frags of SPS will quickly blow through the limit.

I love the dimensions! I made some racks for Rosebud for her tank and when she told me what this dimensions were my first thought was "What a cool nano tank". I look forward to seeing the progress on this one.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Sounds great, Tom. Looking forward to see what you do with this.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... Last