[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Craig's 28gal Nano

Bookmark and Share
    cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

Default Craig's 28gal Nano

Well I guess better late than never right? I should have this up and running by the end of the day. I was bummed I missed out on this contest last year so I'm in for this year. Although i'm getting a late start I hope to catch up quick. Here's what i'm using:

Equipment:
    Tank: 28gal Nanocube
    Flow: Maxijet 400&1200 for my returns + Vortech MP10
    Lighting: 2 x Marineland Reef ready LED fixtures
    Heaters: Marineland Stealth (subject to change)
    Substrate: Sugar sand

100 2509 - Craig's 28gal Nano

Lets get this started! Good luck everyone!
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, will trap you in its nets of wonder forever"
    - Jacques Cousteau

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looking like a great start!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

First Name
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Looking like a great start!
    Thanks! I hope it turns out well. I'm pretty excited about this build.

Ok, so it's not much to look at but I have water in it and it's cycling. I added LS and a big piece of LR to the tank so now I just have to wait. I have a few more pieces of LR to add but for now this gets me started.

100 2512 - Craig's 28gal Nano

Unfortunately the magnet on my MP10 warped just enough that it didn't spin smoothly so I had to order a new one. I figured now was a good time to upgrade to the ES module as well so that's coming too. I'll keep the updates coming when I make some progress.
    - Jacques Cousteau

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great start! Your going to love the ES
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Craig

Well this has been a little bit more of a rough start then I thought. I tried using equipment I already had but it seems like it just doesn't want to cooperate. First my heater died, then my MJ1200, and last, but not least, the new magnet / impeller for my MP10...broke I just received the magnet on Thursday evening and the impeller snapped off (while running) on Saturday morning. The good news is my tank is still cycling so no harm done I suppose. I've replaced the heater, bought a new MJ for my return, and I've contacted Ecotech to get a replacement. So I should be back on the right track.

I added a few more pieces of LR and I changed my lighting. The more I read about the PAR values of the Marineland reefready lights, the more hesitant I was to use mine for this. For now I'm going to use 4 ATI T5's. That should do the trick I think. Here's the difference in lighting:

(Picture1: Marineland LED fixture, Picture2: 2xATI Aquablue Special, 2xATI Blue +)
    a3b8a553 - Craig's 28gal Nano 1bcc68c3 - Craig's 28gal Nano

I hope to start adding some corals and fish this weekend.
    - Jacques Cousteau