[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Default CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

Due to business demands, I've had to largely step away from reefing for the past 6 months. I've finally gotten to a point I have a little time to "feed the addiction" so....

I've enjoyed the last 2 builds using the 12 long tanks...

DSC 1267 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

I'm especially pleased with how well the skimmer has performed over the past year...

The tank and filtration system I built for last years Nano contest will be largely re-purposed for this years's idea.

Here's the equipment list -

• Tank - Mr. Aqua 12 Long (36" X 8" X 9") ~12 gallons in dimension, (7.5 gallons water) Fitted with a DIY 8" internal overflow creating a 3" X 3"x 8" mini-sump area.
    • Lights - Catalina Solar Black 4 X 39W T5 (ATI Blue+, Blue+, AquaBlue, KZ Fiji Purple) + ReefBrite 36" LED 50%/50% Royal Blue / White
    • Return Pump - Eheim 600 Compact set at 160 GPH.
    • Controller - Apex Aquacontroller, lab grade pH, ORP, PM2 with salinity probe.
    • Skimmer - DIY CSQ 2X12 Luft-airstone driven skimmer with Hydor Pico Evolution pump and remote skimmate collection
    • Mechanical filtration - AquaClear 20 with custom InTANK media insert using Chemipure Elite and Purigen as needed.
    • Biological Filtration - DIY internal BioTower using Marine Pure Ceramic Biomedia Spheres (compensating for limited live rock) and Mangroves
    • ATO - Tunze Osmocontroller feeding Kalk laden RO/DI
    • Dosing - BRS 2-Part via 2 BRS peristaltic dosing pumps controlled by the Apex
    • Water movement - 1X MP-10Wes running ReefCrest @ 10%
    • Live Rock - YTBD
    • Substrate - CaribSea - Hawaiian Black
    • Heater - Hydor 100 Watt

The theme and tank name will follow later
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 02-06-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Substrate updated
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Great to see the returning champ in the contest!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Yahoo for CSQ! Always look forward to your builds Subscribed!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Thomas

Boxes have started arriving I hope to get the existing build torn down and the tank and filtration cleaned this week. With any luck, I'll have something to show by next week.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

Livestock order placed

First Name
    Thomas

20130206 123948 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

First Name
    Thomas

A bit of progress today - A nice clean (black) slate to play with.

b5afa5bc28a4b3c917fb8ee1c1170e13 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

e97b9fda578ca85d885011d858ced211 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

This is my first build using a black substrate, looking forward to seeing how colors pop. I do notice the tank looks dimmer with less light reflecting off the bottom which is fine as I'll be able to run the ReefBrites a bit more (they look great with the black bottom.)

Dosed a bit of ammonia and MB-7. That coupled with the MarinePure bio spheres recycled from the last build should make for a short (if any) cycle.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

That skimmer is impressive. Let me know when you tire of it!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    That skimmer is impressive. Let me know when you tire of it!
    Sorry Pat - I LOVE that little skimmer - You'll have to make your own The good news is it's very simple. You could knock one out in an afternoon.

As I had hoped, I didn't have much of a cycle compliments of the MarinePure bio spheres. I've placed a couple Livestock orders through CR sponsors which I should have on had on Wednesday. In the interim, I have to make a final decision on a theme and aquascape. I have an idea I'm especially fond of, but I'm note sure it's possible.

We'll know shortly

First Name
    Thomas

Sorry for the delay in updates - Had some unexpected work travel. The tank is cycled and added some rubble and I tossed in a couple "test" corals just to see what they look like against the black substrate. Although it doesn't show up on this cell cam pic, and I wouldn't want this on every tank, I must say the black is quite stunning...

ab5f475ad2583642d6809e3c84b83878 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

I'll finish the "scape"and start moving corals on Friday.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last