[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

This looks great, Tom! I have never been a fan of black sand the times I have tried it because it ends up looking so dirty so quickly. I would bet with an open concept tank, it would be much easier to keep it looking clean. I'm excited to see what you're doing with this thing!

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Thanks Erika,

I agree, I've never used black sand before but much for that reason. I think this tank (like seemingly most everything I end up building) is going to be a bit "abbynormal".

I thought long and hard about what to do with this tank. Some may recall I started playing with Nature Aquariums, specifically an Iwagumi tank.

af7c81bff4269f5a3739a6528efc6c71 1 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

Unfortunately I haven't had time to complete the build yet. It remains dry although strangely I love the look of the tank as-is.

For those unfamiliar with Nature Aquariums, Here are the 25 best tanks from around the world in 2010. I'm intrigued by the concept and new challenges, (especially for someone versed in marine tanks.)

So I thought I'd try and implement some Nature Aquarium concepts into this build. I acquired some beautiful petrified wood that went unused in the Iwagumi tank, so I thought perhaps I could use it in this build...

PetrifiedWood - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

But on further research, I couldn't guarantee the petrified woods would not leach undesirables into the water column, As a result I decided to use Aragonite rubble - although it's not nearly as attractive, it will aid in biological filtration and still provide the mechanical support for the desired elevation changes.

Part of the challenge (and fun) has been selecting and adapting Marine components that would emulate the appearance of the items and livestock used in freshwater Nature Aquariums. The CaribSea - Hawaiian Black was the closest I could find to Amazon type soils used in Nature tanks but it poses some extra challenges. It's slightly magnetic, so care has to be used to avoid scratching the glass when using a magnetic cleaner. The greater challenge is water movement. Nature aquarium designs often attempt to recreate "landscapes" that include large elevation changes. This is achievable because the tanks use very little water movement. The water movement needed in a marine tank would instantly turn those tanks into mud-bowls. My hope is keep some of the elevation changes and still maintain enough flow to support the livestock and filtration functions. The livestock I've selected will mimic some of the look of a nature tank, while having have modest flow requirements.

I blocked some time tomorrow to hopefully finish the aquascape ("hardscape" in nature aquarium parlance) and if all goes well, begin "plantings".
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

I've started moving livestock into the tank - Photos forthcoming once things settle in a bit.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
    Likes Sir Patrick, MizTanks liked this post

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have been following along a while. Figured i would pop in to let ya know i like what I see so far.

Looking forward to see what you do this year!

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    I have been following along a while. Figured i would pop in to let ya know i like what I see so far.

Looking forward to see what you do this year!
    Thanks Chris,

Quick update - I placed a few more corals in the tank today - most haven't opened yet, but here are a couple of quick cell-cam photos...

b779318b 2e97 4cc5 9a81 6aed5c317763 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

5b48fac6 397f 4c8b 8417 394e1c489079 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

The photos are poor and don't show the wide variety of colors of the various Gorgs which includes pinks, purples and golds. I'll work on better photos once everything is installed and happy.

First Name
    Thomas

Tank is starting to "settle-in" Added a few small Zoa Frags within the rocks. I'm amazed at how quickly the Shaving Brush Macros (Penicillus sp.) have recovered from shipping and their phenomenal growth rate. I'll grab the DSLR and get some better photos...

fec62ef9 785f 4edb bb40 d0b5c02fea7e - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

0ede973d24781a4b95f4454ae36f6426 - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

First Name
    Thomas

I decided on a stocking plan - I've been searching for Yellow-striped Cardinals and LA just got some in stock

p 77867 orange lined cardi - CSQ's 2013 Nano Build

I'm hopeful they will shoal among the Gorgonians

In addition to the Cards, I ordered Sexy Shrimp, a few colorful hermits and crabs. It should make for an interesting mix. Delivery is set for Friday so with any luck, I'll be able to post some better photographs Friday evening.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Looking pretty good so far. I bet the gorgonians look pretty sweet swaying in the the vortech current... video time perhaps? Are you at all concerned about the sexys becoming lunch for the cardinals?

Tom

PS - @Preuss Pets often has orange-stripe cardinals.

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Looking pretty good so far. I bet the gorgonians look pretty sweet swaying in the the vortech current... video time perhaps? Are you at all concerned about the sexys becoming lunch for the cardinals?

Tom

PS - @Preuss Pets often has orange-stripe cardinals.
    Thanks Tom - You're right about the Gorgs. That was the ultimate goal for this tank and they look great in the MP10 ebb and flow. I'l definitively grab some video - hopefully with the Cards shoaling.

As for the Sexy Shrimp with the Cards, initially I'm not worried as the Cards are tiny. I've read mixed reviews and have kept a harem of Sexy Shrimp in one of my home tanks that also contains a few adult-sized Chromis without incident (the sexies are amazingly quick when needed.) Over time and if needed, I can relocate either the shrimp or Cards to a home tank.

I tend to keep everyone pretty well fed, so hopefully they can co-exist in peace.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I figured you had a plan. But I still think it's a bad idea. You should consider adding one sexy to "test the waters". Cardinals have much larger mouths than Chromis as well as a different feeding strategy (Chromis are daytime pelagic feeders while Cardinals tend to feed at night and will target benthic and pelagic fodder). Better to lose one sexy than all sexys.

Tom

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last