[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dakar's - Nano Build - 10g SPS Nano project log

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Dakar's - Nano Build - Stoney Nano project log (formerly 10g SPS)

Okay so I'm getting a little ahead of the nano contest... but since I can only participate it can't hurt nobody... I abandoned the MB5 nano for now for something a bit larger.
    10AGA with a 10AGA Sump/Refugium, an old cast iron stand that I had my very first FW tank on, got her sanded down and shot with a few coats of flat black. And BTW for those that notice when I can post some pics, the stand is ancient, when I first got it I was a kid and adults were still wearing bright colored leisure suits and I have no idea how I've managed to hang on to it this long. None the less it needed some TLC.

Now the fun part, my hand is still vibrating, but give a cheap redneck with an idea a dremel, some diamond bits, a tank, and some running water in the shower and miracles can happen. Drilled two holes to fit 3/4" bulkheads. Not the roundest holes you've ever seen but pretty close, bulkheads fitted and leak tested already Imagine paying a glass shop $30 per hole for a $10 tank.... not me Now I'm ready to tackle some more drillin'.

BTW for those reading along and want to try your hand at drilling your own tank without wanting to order actual glass cutting hole saws; the method I used was pretty simple, unlike others I just cut out the circle instead of drilling a hole and widening it until it was the size I wanted. That seemed like a terrible waste of time and effort. My method; Grab a Sharpie and mark out your hole. The dremel bits I used came as a set from Wallyworld (for about $10 I think), one with a rounded tip and the other a slightly wider tapered bit. Used the round bit on the slowest speed the dremel would go, very slowly and gently (the weight of the tool alone) scored the outside edge of the area to be removed. Continue following the pattern until you have a good groove that the bit will not jump out of. Turn the speed up to about 1/2 and continue following the groove around and around applying light pressure. As soon as the bit grinds through stop. Switch out bits, use the faster grinding tapered bit and follow the groove around until you have your hole. Clean up any edges and there you go... BTW during the entire grinding process water was running across the area to keep the bit cool, just enough so the entire area stays flooded and removes debris. Remember you want to grind away the glass slowly, your not really drilling here.

A note of caution here, think about this you are operating an electric device in running water... common sense should tell you to be careful. If you have a flexible extension for your tool please use it (or go get one) and make sure water can't run down the shaft to the dremel. (Not that I actually followed this advice, I do have and extension just didn't feel like looking for it, but if you burn up your dremel or electrocute yourself you can't say you weren't cautioned :razz: ) But this method worked well for me, I wasn't too concerned about breaking a 10g tank, that's cheap, and the glass is pretty thin, but didn't get any chipping or cracking, even though I was drilling within an inch of the glass edge. Will this work on a thicker glass? I'll find out sooner or later. Not quite ready to test it out on the 5/8" glass on the 180.... at least not yet.

Next up, hacking up a broken tank to make the dividers for the refuge and sump. As soon as I clear the final place in my office where this will reside (need to get a shovel and wheelbarrow I think) I'll post some pics.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

flame - Reefkeeper Registered User

Looks like fun. Can not wait to see the pics.
    It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.

First Name
    Dave

Flame, who said you aren't eligible to participate? As soon as we offically kick this off your project log will be moved to the new forum to document the builds, you along with several others will be 'grandfathered' in

Now, Angel unless you are going to finance all of my coral....get outta my thread :razz:
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

First Name
    Dave

Okay, it's picture time!

As you can see I managed to drill in a pair of 3/4" bulkheads (without breaking the tank!), that should allow for more than enough flow.
    2k37ca8ab828 - Dakar's - Nano Build - 10g SPS Nano project log

What tank would be compelte without a sump and regium? Pardon the sloppy looking silicon for the baffles, still waiting for it to cure so I can clean it up.

2keffb1c0092 - Dakar's - Nano Build - 10g SPS Nano project log

Left side will be the refuge and the right the sump for the return pump and skimmer.

Here's the whole shooting match as it stands right now.
    2k6b58505ebe - Dakar's - Nano Build - 10g SPS Nano project log

Next phase will be to get the plumbing all done up right, fashioning a horizontal skimming overflow box over the left bulkhead, and adding a black nozzle to the return side. Still debating over whether or not to paint the sides black as well.....

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Ooops!

Attn. Nano ReefContest Participants!! Please post you ideas; suggestions at the thread created specifically for the Nano Reef Contest. The comments currently residing on Dakar's Project Log have been moved to it's own location, as we accidently posted on Dakar's Brag Post!

*cough, gag, giggle...and Dakar....I truely hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us for infringing on your post.I should have known better, and I apologize for pulling the topic in another direction, ruining your post about your cool Nano in the making!I will do my best to cleanup the mess we created there, and keep the focus where it should be...on You of course...my love, my heart, my reason for living! Forgive me? *running out of here before he see's this!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

flame - Reefkeeper Registered User

Looks really nice. Great job
    It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

hehehe... ok, ok...were out of here, As for financing your corals..... forget it! You'll never guess where he's putting his little nano. Yep...in our bedroom! I'm surrounded by tanks!!! lol Actually, I think it will be quite pretty in here. It's going to be quiet and not rattle or shake the house! I can take the bubbling sound. That's soothing, but the whirring of fans, and lighting turning on and off and the sound of power coursing through those babies is a little intimidating. I have the burns on my hands and cooked hair on my head to prove it! :0)
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

looks great,I'm anxiously awaiting for more pics.

First Name
    Dave

Well I got the starboard trimmed to size, ended up going with a 4 port open manifold though. Just not enough room to close it off the way I wanted to without drilling yet another hole. The overflow is in place, just waiting for the silicone to cure a bit more so I can get her wet!

First Name
    Dave

Well she's wet now... took a little adjusting to get the flow just right so it's quiet... but best guess moving 300-400 gph through the display and sump and refuge.
    Even did a little playing around with the 70w 14K DE halide... should look awesome once she begins to be populated with critters.

On a side note... starboard FLOATS!

Pics tommorrow after I get out of the woods.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last