[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Heidi's Bedroom Nano

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last
    Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Heidi's Bedroom Nano

Well I am in on this but you will all have to wait about a week for me to buy my acrylic as I am still recovering from the holidays. I will be building a mini cube for the corner in my bedroom. It will be 16"x14"x24" using 3/4" acrylic that will make it about 13 gallons. I drew a sketch so you all can get the idea of it but I will include a ton of pictures along the way. So for now I will just do the "required entry stuff"

IMG 0698 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    Thats my baby holding the sign. As you can see there is no tank, just the end table I will be using as a stand. The tank should fit perfectly on that stand leaving about 3 inches in the back (wall) for cords & the filter. This will be a "dirty" tank in that the coral will be the types that don't thrive in my current system. Most of my softies are a little mad now that I am using bio pellets. I will run a whisper filter with some filter bags w/ carbon and will rely on my live rock, deep sand bed and water changes to be the dilution of the pollution. My plan is for a pair of pearly jawfish, soft coral, and small "planted" area" I want to keep a small sea horse in this tank too eventually but not sure if it will pan out in the contest.

IMG 0699 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    close up hope you can read

IMG 0327 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    Since I have no fancy computer programs to "make a tank" I had drawn this to give you and idea. ( Note: I have since changed my mind about the size. picture shows 24x24)

So anyhew, thanks so much for following along and thank you Orphek for the great prize and Captive Reefs as always for the neat chance to do this contest!

Heidi

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looking forward to the build!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Sounds very interesting. Like like the kinds of corals you are thinking of.

Do you mean 1/4" acrylic instead of 3/4" ? 3/4" would work fine but seems like overbuilding.

Good luck with this contest!

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by AJ :) View Post
    Sounds very interesting. Like like the kinds of corals you are thinking of.

Do you mean 1/4" acrylic instead of 3/4" ? 3/4" would work fine but seems like overbuilding.

Good luck with this contest!
    No I am really using the 3/4 inch. I am doing it rimless, I don't plan on bracing it at all. Also since it is taller I want the amount of "bow" over time to be minimal. I want it to look kinda "boom" and make a little statment... That might sound a bit crazy but hey crazy is as crazy does. I am going to polish the edges up all smooth, basically the build part of this is going to my experiments with acrylic tank making. Wish me luck

Heidi

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Wow - 16"x14"x24" made with 3/4"... Now THATS a TANK!
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Captain - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

Nano in the bedroom always spices things up!
    Likes Heidi liked this post

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Talk about an asterina on the glass.......or is it a fly on the wall??? LOL!!!

Sounds/looks like a pretty cool tank!

What sort of plant will you be using, from the pic?

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Talk about an asterina on the glass.......or is it a fly on the wall??? LOL!!!

Sounds/looks like a pretty cool tank!

What sort of plant will you be using, from the pic?
    TeeHee
    I really would like some purplish kelp like stuff. Planted in the sand bed, lower light needs, long leaves for movement. I'm still kinda looking around for ideas. The greens are going to be for the seahorse part of this tank which may not happen during this contest.

I was looking at prices and plans for acrylic tanks today. It would be waaaayyyy too expensive to build my tank to the exact dimensions I had originally intended. I picked out some acrylic that was 3/4 and at that thickness it was going to cost 270$! So I was reading and found that if I made the tank a couple inches shorter (22 inches high). I could use 1/2" lowering my costs to 160$. That cost includes all the cuts I would need. I also looked up a tank like the one I wish to build on some different sites. For a 16x16x24 they want about 180$ but that doesn't include shipping, and I have no idea because this tank would be a special order how long I would wait for it. I guess I was thinking 150 ish for a tank and now I am kinda bummed that it's going to cost more then I had thought. Anyhew... For now I am sticking to my plan will most likely pick up my acrylic next week Friday and kick this thing off :/
    Ohh and I will be using rock and water from my 150 to rush the cycle on this little guy. I have my sand and powerhead bought. (sugar grade CaribSea and a 450 hydor nano)

Thanks for following along!
    Heidi

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Because you couldn't just have one beautiful cube now, I mean come on! lol, good luck!

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

So I am super excited guys!! Tomorrow I am picking up my 1/2" acrylic pieces at a place called Pops Displays. They have an ebay store and do up to 5 cuts per piece without charging extra The finished dimensions are going to be a little different do to how I am buying the sheets. It's going to be 15 7/8"x15 7/8'x 23" I decided to use 1/2" instead of 3/4 to cut back on cost but I am still not planing on bracing it so it will be all sleek and rimless I will take some mad pictures tomorrow as I build it. This will be my first attempt at building something out of acrylic!! If anyone is interested about POP Displays just search for "acrylic sheets" on eBay and they pop up.. hehehe Great prices I thought even the shipping isn't all that bad. Until tomorrow!

Heidi

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last