[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Heidi's Bedroom Nano

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

What an exciting project, Heidi! Should be a beautiful tank. Do those folks sell the Weldon stuff to put it all together? Are you drilling the bottom for a durso standpipe sort of return or doing a hang on the back overflow/filtration setup? What sort of lighting will you use? Sorry for all the questions, but it's a new project that keeps the wheels turning! Good luck with your project and keep us in the loop.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MyNemesis View Post
    What an exciting project, Heidi! Should be a beautiful tank. Do those folks sell the Weldon stuff to put it all together? Are you drilling the bottom for a durso standpipe sort of return or doing a hang on the back overflow/filtration setup? What sort of lighting will you use? Sorry for all the questions, but it's a new project that keeps the wheels turning! Good luck with your project and keep us in the loop.
    They do sell the Weldon. I was not going to drill this tank although I might change my mind. If I drill it will be on the back panel. I have a hang on filter that I will run with carbon on and off. I have a small clip on t5 fixture that I am going to try. If that proves too dim for growth I will do an led fixture maybe a couple of the stunner strips or something similar. thinking I covered all your questions let me know of you have anymore and thanks for following along!
    Heidi

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Good luck Heidi! Can't wait to see this take off
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes Heidi liked this post

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Default Step one: The tank build.

SO here is a photo journey of my tank being brought to life today. Tomorrow I am going to buff the edges to a shine, and start a 24 hour water test For all of you who have built acrylic sumps and tanks . . . whoot! Its way harder then I thought. First off "weldon" is some NASTY stuff. It smells like getting your nails done.... Yes I know most of you don't know that smell but it is super potent. It sets FAST so you have to be faster. It was fun and exciting and once it is all buffed up it will looks SUPER sweet Im sure. SO here are the photos, feel free to ask any questions you may have up to this point.

Heidi
    IMG 0593 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    My helper and Me peeling back the paper so it stays out of the way of the Weldon.

IMG 0594 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    The bottom's ready.

IMG 0595 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    The sides are peeled back and ready. You remove the inside paper and the edges of the outsides.

IMG 0596 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    The chemicals. I only used the 3. I had the other to fix any "oops" but didn't end up needing it and its so toxic.. It says if inhaled seek emergency medical attention and administer CPR.. really... yikes.

IMG 0597 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    IMG 0598 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    Taped and ready to weld! (I did the bottom first)

IMG 0599 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    IMG 0600 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    Shims are used for pressure in spots where the Weldon needs an extra nudge to go and stay in the cracks. Weight of the tank itself and shims that apply a small amount of direct pressure are better then clams because they keep the acrylic more relaxed and I guess it makes for a better bond. I got a HUGE tutorial from the acrylic guy in Granger and then from my teacher Christian, BUT I did ALL of this myself though they made good cheer leaders.

IMG 0601 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    One of my 4 perfect seams. Out of 8 and the first time was pretty good I would say

IMG 0602 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    IMG 0604 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    Finished and setting. Well she got in it after it had set up for about an hour it was how I bribed her to stay back while I was welding.

IMG 0605 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    Taped and ready to sand and buff edges tomorrow.

IMG 0608 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    Required paper in tank picture

IMG 0610 - Heidi's Bedroom Nano
    In its permanent home, It will get buffed here because it is safest from the kids. One of the little ones picked up the block with the "160 grit paper" on it to "help" and she put some scratches in the front and side that I will have to get something to "buff" out. There is a product I think its Nova or something like that... I will need to have that stuff on hand with an acrylic tank.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Looks awesome, Heidi! I have always wanted to try my hand at acrylic work but always get scared off at the end. That's great that you had a mentor to guide you through it! I can't wait to see this filled!

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Wow! That looks amazing! I think Novus is the product you are thinking of.

You make it look so easy! It really looks great all put together.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud161616 View Post
    Looks awesome, Heidi! I have always wanted to try my hand at acrylic work but always get scared off at the end. That's great that you had a mentor to guide you through it! I can't wait to see this filled!
    Thanks rosebud! Yeah, I was so fortunate to have his help. I think the same thing about glass. I had thought about doing this tank in glass but figured I had a better chance at "not leaks" with acrylic. Only thing now is the kids are already trying to "help" and one of them took the 180 grit to the side for one quick swipe... Let's just say I need to order some of the acrylic buffing stuff now
    Anyone have suggestions and recommendations for dry scratch remover?

Heidi

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Oh and so I follow all the rules to a "t" . Here is my official entry photo:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

woods4542000 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    mike

Looking good !

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

The fill test... Eekkk! Wish it luck
    Attached Images Attached Images