[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

jolson10450's 2.5g mini pico nano contest entry!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... Last
    jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default jolson10450's 2.5g mini pico nano contest entry!

Just starting the forum to reserve my space for this contest.

I will have a 2.5g aquarium ( 12x6x8 ) powered by a 3x 3w cree LED lights. 1x cool white 2x royal blue leds, a koralia nano for flow, and a 25w heater. No other equipment will be added! this will be a water change tank, i pretty much do water changes to keep parameters in check.

My plans for it are:

1-1.5" sand bottom
    3-4lbs of liverock
    2 margarita snails
    1 blue leg hermit
    1 peppermint shrimp
    possibly a tiny goby
    and the entire coral stock will all be Acan Lords if it all goes as planned and the leds don't bleach them!

Only time will tell as i will be starting the set up tomorrow of getting the sand and rock in it so it is ready on the day of the contest. It should cycle within a day or two using existing live rock and live sand from a previous tank and i will be using already cycled water from a water change on my other tanks. The reason i want the peppermint and the tiny goby in the tank is because when i feed the acans some mysis i want to be sure i have a decent enough cleaning crew to take care of the pieces that miss the coral. I may also do a pair of sexy shrimp instead of the goby.

Does anyone else have any other input for me as far as a fish i could use or something else cool to put in a tank this small? I DO NOT want another pistol shrimp! so that is out of the question! Thanks!
    Last edited by jolson10450; 01-06-2011 at 10:43 AM.

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

That sounds like a cool little tank, can't wait to see it.
    Good luck on finding something small enough to put in it.

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

I agree this does sound like a very cool tank! I look forward to seeing it!

Do you plan on having optics with the LEDs? I would think 3 LEDs, with no optics, would not bleach your acans. You could always raise the light up if the par is too high also, but I wonder if you'll get enough par over 12". Do you have a PAR meter to test it out? I'll be interested to see how this goes for you!

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud161616 View Post
    I agree this does sound like a very cool tank! I look forward to seeing it!

Do you plan on having optics with the LEDs? I would think 3 LEDs, with no optics, would not bleach your acans. You could always raise the light up if the par is too high also, but I wonder if you'll get enough par over 12". Do you have a PAR meter to test it out? I'll be interested to see how this goes for you!
    no i do not have a par meter and also i am limited as to how high to mount the LEDS because it is going on my desk and i have a hutch on my desk. the LEDS will be approximately 6" to water surface and i will not be using any optics. i have optics but i do not want to bleach anything so i will be leaving them off.

i got the tank painted and set up yesterday with sand and water. going to trop today after work to pick up some rock for it and then tomorrow mounting the LED so i will post pictures of progress in each stage as it comes along.

for those who seen me at the A2 swap i will be using the LED i was using on my tiny show tank there for this contest!

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sounds cool Justin cannt wait for the pics to start. See ya at the swap. Steve

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

i can't wait either i just want to leave work now to work on it lol. im fragging that cpt america this weekend for ya so it should be nice and healed by the swap!

Quote Originally Posted by steve&mari View Post
    Sounds cool Justin cannt wait for the pics to start. See ya at the swap. Steve

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

Justin its been said but thank you a million bud I've been so excited for the swap. Chemo has been lil tought this round but good news I'm on my 2 week break from it for the swap. Woooohoooo lol. Any pics to give a taste of some acans your lookin to add. Colors n such. Have a great day n safe trip to Trop. Place is awesome think if they were closer my older kids would be fightin to work for Dick n Ray lol. See ya soon Justin.
    Your reefer bud
    Steve

Default i Have just the fish for you

i have a small breed of goby that was partnered with a small pistol ( cebu) was what i was told. come on down and pick er up.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Here we go! Thursday i tore down the 1g tank and put the sand from it in the 2.5g and used my water change water to fill it up and here is the result:

addedsandandwater - jolson10450's 2.5g mini pico nano contest entry!

Friday i stopped at Tropicorium to get some of their 0.89 cent rock and i was officially Bryans lowest sale of the day haha. I put my heater in the tank and then koralia nano, both of which i hid behind the rock so you could not see it! So here is what it looked like aquascaped Friday night:

aquascaped25g - jolson10450's 2.5g mini pico nano contest entry!

Today (Saturday) i worked on installing the LEDS above the tank, got my hutch drilled and ready to go and mounted the lights up and boom! everything looks perfect i couldn't of planned it better! other than the LEDS are only 4.5" from the water surface but i am not using optics. here is the result:

2011 01 08124802 - jolson10450's 2.5g mini pico nano contest entry!

Here is a full tank shot of it on my desk, you can see the LEDS in this photo:

2011 01 08124807 - jolson10450's 2.5g mini pico nano contest entry!

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Seaside Treasures View Post
    i have a small breed of goby that was partnered with a small pistol ( cebu) was what i was told. come on down and pick er up.
    I may just do that Matt, i got to wait until the contest starts at least first! Thanks!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... Last