[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My 5g hexagon tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Default My 5g hexagon tank

Wow looks like people are already rocking on their threads. My submission is going to be a 5g marineland hex tank w/ a 15 g sump. I probably wouldnt have added the sump but I need a frag tank really bad right now.

The tank right now has just had 2 bulkheads drilled, still some sanding to do. I also havnt ordered the LED's yet that I will be modifying into the existing hood. I havnt decided exactly which direction I am going w/ this tank yet either. Possibly a couple colonies of suncoral to start things off and a mini maxi? I have 2 sexy shrimp living in a 1g for right now till I set up the tank fully. Many options still open,lol.

I do know for sure that the return pump will be fitted with a hydor flo. When you subtract the resistance from it, it should have around 200gph turnover. Alot of the movement will be necesary for the amount of rock and caves I plan on putting in it. Filler up! I should have more info and progress this wknd hopefully. The sump will be lit with 3 x 24w t5's and the nano will probably have 4 to 6 3w leds but 2 will likely be for algae growth behind the rock structure.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

sounds good, but we need pics.

First Name
    chris

Be patient

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looking forward to seeing more!

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Sounds like you have some good ideas. What are the dimensions on the hex?

First Name
    chris

Sorry about no set up pics yet. Should be tonight or tomorrow morning. The hex measures 12" across and about that in height also.

First Name
    chris

Alright, here we go My first pic. The little hood to the right is what I have to add LED's to. Should be fairly easy. should get quite a bit more done on it this wknd. I cant seem to rotate the pic
    Name:  DSCF4025.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  90.4 KB

First Name
    chris

I am taking my sweet time I guess,lol. I will get new pics up very shortly. I am still putting mine together but have ordered my led's. I am also hoping that my turbos clean up a very important rock in the scheme of things. It has a nice cave like area where I will probably attach some sun corals (tubestrae?)

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Glad to hear you got the leds ordered. I'm still trying to decide on which route to go. Right now its going through the cycle and has some ugly brown diatoms. Looking forward to see what you put in yours.

First Name
    chris

The sump is going through that right now too. I really needed a frag tank so the sump will be that as well.

I know I want to put in a couple of maxi-minis and I already have 2 sexy shrimp. Not sure about fish but would still love to get some boxer crabs as well. We will see how the money goes.

I ordered the actintic light kit that rapid led has right now. Got a few whites to go with it, some nuetral and some cool. I am going to mix and match there. The extra length of heatsink and leds will go over the end of the sump. I sure dont need 12 3w over a 5g lol.

I am plumbing the tanks later today but have some water and sand in already. pics later on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last