[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Rosebud161616's 15 gallon custom built nano

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 12 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i actually used a 5.5g sump on the same tank before as well and it worked fine for me. i still fit all my probes and heaters and the ATO and return in it, the fuge size was the only thing that changed in it, it went from 3.5" in the 5.5g tank to 7" in the 10g tank, everything else fit fine but that was because i use the hang on skimmer (coralife super skimmer 65) you just got to lay out the baffles right and you can make it all work, just use 2x 5.5g tanks, 1 for the sump, 1 for the ATO. added together is 16.5" i believe with the plastic trim added into that figure.

here is a picture when i had it, the far right baffle should be removed though so right when the water enters the right column it can go under the first baffle and that would open a little more space up, then just throw some rock rubble in the bottom of that first chamber so the water has to flow through the rubble to get to chamber 2 where the fuge is, the 3rd area had a mag 5 return in it and the ATO relays. here is the picture:

55gsump1 - Rosebud161616's 15 gallon custom built nano

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Tanks coming along very nice!

CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

This is looking sweet! Cant wait to see more!

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to get a stand built this weekend, and possibly even have this thing plumbed. The 5 way fitting just came in the mail, so I think I have just about everything to get this plumbed!

I have everything ready to aquascape too except for the sand. I have some play sand out in the garage and never had issues with it, but I was thinking I might just try to do the real thing this time...

Then I have some prodibio in the closet that I'm hoping will jump start the cycle. I have cycled dry rock in about a week using prodibio in the past, so here's hoping I can get a jump start on getting stuff in my tank!

I have a few maxi minis waiting around that I have split a couple of times. I was thinking of using some of the clones in this tank. How does the pricing thing work if I'm not buying them new? Do I just ask for a consensus on what the going rate for them is? Around here they seem to go for $40ish at the LFSs. Does that sound like a fair price to everyone to use them?

Team CR

First Name
    Erika

Well we got a stand built! Our garage is not insulated, so the thought of going out there and building a stand was not high on my list. My husband and I set out to find another way to build the stand. That's when we came across a couple of cheapo end tables at walmart and I thought I could make a stand out two of them.

I flipped one over and then used 1/2"x2" boards to stabilize the legs. The whole thing is pretty sturdy and didn't take us super long to put together. The 1/2"x2" boards leave a 1/4" reveal where I can add some doors down the line.

Here's a shot of the end tables we bought:

Stand 01 - Rosebud161616's 15 gallon custom built nano

We added a bit of shower pan liner to the bottom and I used to spray adhesive to keep it down. We have some stuff sitting on it while the adhesive dries, so ignore the mess.

Stand 02 - Rosebud161616's 15 gallon custom built nano

The positioning isn't exactly what I would want for a tank that can be seen from 4 sides, but we don't really have a place in this house to put it where you can see all 4 sides. I had always thought if we had a floating couch in our living room, this would look great sitting behind it where you could see all 4 sides. One day in our dream house...

I ran into a bit of a snag on the plumbing. The bulkheads that I bought are all threaded. I don't have quite enough room in the overflow area for a 5 way, the backside of the bulkheads, and a thread/slip pvc adapter. So back to Savko I go on Monday to exchange them. In the meantime, no plumbing for me.

My husband also hit the top of one of the corners of the tank with a plate and put a small gash in it. I'm hoping the tank still holds water and doesn't crack under pressure. The smart thing to do would be to take the tank apart, get a new piece of glass, then redo it all. But glasscages isn't coming to our area again till the 29th, then a week of curing, then cycling, and I'm super behind on the competition! So we're gonna fill it and hope it all goes well. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

First Name
    Chris

Good thinking on the ready bult table.

I will keep my fingers crossed on the tank holding water. Any chance of a pic of the gash? A gash doesnt sound so bad.....would like to see what ya mean.

Team CR

First Name
    Erika

From one side:

Gash 01 - Rosebud161616's 15 gallon custom built nano

From the other:

Gash 02 - Rosebud161616's 15 gallon custom built nano

It has plenty of silicone (I think I used too much silicone on this tank) so I'm not worried about it leaking... more worried about it cracking once there is water in it. But if it cracks, I can still get a piece of glass on order and fix the tank. I figure might as well give it a shot.

First Name
    Chris

Ive seen cracks/chips like that before on much larger, full of water tanks.....I would vote you will hold just fine.

Either way though- I will keep the fingers crossed. Can only help- right?

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

That is a shame you got a chip, I have had bigger ones that never leaked.
    Set it somewhere that can get wet and give it a water test. sure hope it works for you.

Team CR

First Name
    Erika

Well that does make me feel better. Due to the bulkheads in the overflow, I can't really put it anywhere and fill it that high. I'll have to wait until the plumbing is done to fill it... but I'll keep lots of towels, buckets, etc. close by!

Page 3 of 12 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last