[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Default Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission

I'm going to keep this first post as the current status of the build, so that it will be easy to find what is currently happening.

1/12/13: Still in planning stages, on the verge of starting the build.
    Nano20134 - Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission
    Last edited by rosebud161616; 01-12-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Team CR

First Name
    Erika

Well I'm hesitant to post too many details at this point. I haven't ever seen what I want to do done before, and I'm a little worried it might not work. But... what fun would a giant surprise be?

Here is a google sketch up of what is coming:

Nano20134 - Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission

So what are the pillars, and how will this all work? You didn't think I was going to give it all away did you???

First things first, I need to get a glass drill bit. I told my husband to order me a 1/2" drill bit off ebay and he took that very literally. It came in the mail and was 1/2" across... not for a 1/2" bulkhead. So order #2 is placed, and the drill bit is on its way to me.

I have lots to do to get this thing moving...

• I'll need a custom acrylic piece so I have to get with Andy up at The Blue Glow.
    • I'm going to need a stand, so I have to find the time to get that built. We're in progress of relocating from Columbus to Cincinnati, so our tools aren't very accessible. I might have to get creative here...
    • The plumbing situation is going to be complicated.
      • I have to get lots of unilock bulkheads. This will involve some curved/wavy surfaces, so the regular type of bulkheads are out of the question...
      • Unfortunately, I'm going to have to rely a lot on on check valves. I'll need to get some of those ordered, with lots of back up ones...
    • I have to start getting some parts together for the lighting. I'm thinking I'll try using some of the new LED multi-chips that are hitting the market from China. They're not quite as efficient as CREEs, but they're extremely cost efficient. Plus I'm all for a new project.

We have a massive project at work that is severely behind. That means I'm working 60 hour weeks right now. It should be wrapped up very soon and I'm hoping I'll be able to get this thing moving! Lots to be done to get this thing up and running!
    Last edited by rosebud161616; 01-12-2013 at 10:33 PM.

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Very intriguing Erika - Looking forward to seeing your plan.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Team CR

First Name
    Erika

Well we are finally wrapping up this project at work so I got my first day off in 3 weeks today! I have no plans to open my work laptop...

No work = progress!

drilling - Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission

These are actual flower vases that I ordered off of the internet. I finally got the correct drill bit and got these babies drilled! I have to say... if you're ever concerned about drilling a tank, do not start with drilling vases! This is not for the faint of heart...

I have a Bulk Reef Supply order placed with the unilock bulk heads, lockline, and check valves.

More to come soon!

Team CR

First Name
    Erika

My BRS shipment arrived with the lockline, check vales and unilock bulk heads! I'm read to plumb this thing, just need to get that acrylic piece worked out and the stand...

Team CR

First Name
    Erika

I'm still in this even though I haven't made much progress lately. We just closed on our house after spending a year of living in multiple places to make a relocation happen. Our stuff is in boxes in 3 different locations, so everything is a bit of a mad house right now. We have movers getting our stuff in this weekend, and then I hope to be able to get back to getting this tank setup. I will be using cycled rock in the tank, so this should minimize the amount of time it takes to wait out the cycle. More to come soon!

sinistervato - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nick
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Fishbowl Drawing Winner

way to think out of the box

Team CR

First Name
    Erika

Well I'm trying to get back in this thing, but things aren't going my way. I contacted Andy at the Blue Glue to try to get the custom acrylic piece made that I need for this. Unfortunately his life has gotten pretty busy and he is no longer doing custom acrylic pieces. The other people I know who were doing custom acrylic work have also gotten out, unfortunately. I'm afraid I only know of one other person, and he will charge a small fortune to do the work.

I'm looking at going other routes that I could work on myself. These other routes will take a bit more time and that's less time spent trying to get into this contest!

Here are a couple of shots of what I was looking to get made:

TopColor - Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission
    BottomColor - Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

@binford4000 was doing some acrylic work... maybe he can hook you up?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud161616 View Post
    Well I'm trying to get back in this thing, but things aren't going my way. I contacted Andy at the Blue Glue to try to get the custom acrylic piece made that I need for this. Unfortunately his life has gotten pretty busy and he is no longer doing custom acrylic pieces. The other people I know who were doing custom acrylic work have also gotten out, unfortunately. I'm afraid I only know of one other person, and he will charge a small fortune to do the work.

I'm looking at going other routes that I could work on myself. These other routes will take a bit more time and that's less time spent trying to get into this contest!

Here are a couple of shots of what I was looking to get made:

TopColor - Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission
    BottomColor - Rosebud161616's 2013 Nano Contest Submission

Do you have the material and dimensions ?? If so send me a PM and I can get it machined up for ya.looks simple enough.
    Likes jimsflies liked this post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last