[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Synergy's 2012 12 gal Cube

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Are you feeding this tank? Softies lightening color can tell you they need to be fed- or you are on the right track and they are missing some chemicals.
    I'm not currently feeding the tank, I have a bottle of zooplankton that I tried broadcast feeding a few times but didnt see any response from the corals. I also read that anthelia have a poor feeding response. I do spot fed a few of the mushrooms and the candy canes some pellets. Any recommendations on some food you think I might get a response from the anthelia with?

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud161616 View Post
    I find that anthelia will look completely different within the same system depending on light and flow. As you have seen, the stuff can get everywhere and grow very quickly. I am constantly pulling small pieces out from all over our system and it always amazes me how different anthelia cam look, even when given the same water conditions.
    I am starting to notice this, thanks for the reassurance. I have a row of blue LEDs towards the back of the tank and the anthelia under them are the lightest in color, the anthelia that is shaded under the tree is a much deeper blue. Also the anthelia directly in the flow is very short whereas the stalks in indirect flow are much longer. It is pretty amazing how different it appears.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

You most likely wont get a feeding responce from the anethelia, but they will thrive with the dissolved nutrients from tank feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    You most likely wont get a feeding responce from the anethelia, but they will thrive with the dissolved nutrients from tank feedings.
    Thanks for the tip. I have been adding a few flakes/pellets to the tank every once and awhile lately. Hope to get some fish sometime soon and then the feedings will really increase.

In other tank news!

I took a video of the anthelia the other day. Color is pretty accurate, maybe a little less blue than it appears in real life. It doesn't have the color that it originally had but it is still growing rapidly so I am not too concerned. I havent had the powerhead on lately but I think the flow is still good, might try turning it on next week and see how everything responds.

EKEN0008.mp4 video by cmrae - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid991.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid991.photobucket.com/albums/af34/cmrae/EKEN0008.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid991@@AMEPARAM@@991@@AME PARAM@@af34/cmrae/EKEN0008@@AMEPARAM@@mp4

I will put a price list up sometime this weekend or next week and will try to get some pics of the GSP, it is really starting to take off. The mushrooms below the tree are looking nice also. I need to pick up some salt so I can do a water change though, lots of crud accumulating on the bottom of the tank.

Did some water testing today:

Nitrate:0
    Calcium 460
    KH: 5

Started dripping some baking soda to raise it up by 1 dKH, and will drip some more in two days. I did a 10% water change the other day with reef crystals, so I'm not sure if the KH of the makeup water was really low or what. Will test the next batch for sure.

GSP has been growing great. mushrooms look excellent. Picked up a nice red one from fish doctors the other day.
    The Anthelia has looked better, I think it might be getting too much light, the pieces out of the intense light look much better. Although I bet the low KH hasn't helped any.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Hang in there. That anthelia is a weed. Get your dKH up and I bet it will look a million times better.

Growth shot of the GSP. I glued several small pieces on the glass in various parts of the tank. They have all experienced similar growth, this one just happens to be easier to photograph.

The frag attached to the glass and has continued to grow in this direction, must have something to do with the flow.
    PICT0257 - Synergy's 2012 12 gal Cube

How it looks currently, I would say it has easily tripled in size in the past month. The new polyps are still small though. Hopefully the growth continues and I can get the bottom covered!
    PICT0288 - Synergy's 2012 12 gal Cube

Not too much has changed in the tank. The anthelia isnt improving, but isnt getting worse. The first few weeks the growth was unreal and then all of a sudden nothing. I didnt change anything in the tank either so I am a bit baffled. Over the past few weeks, I have tried to increase the pH and iodine. Neither had much of an impact.

I have started to move most of the anthelia that I can scrape off the rocks to my other tank to let it recover. Going to place some light green GSP type coral into the tree along with whats left of the anthelia. Still determined to figure out what is causing the decline in the anthelia so I dont want to take it all out.

The mushrooms in the tank are looking great, and the GSP continues to grow nicely on the bottom. Will get some pictures early next week, once I glue the light green GSP into the tree. Had my eye on some frogspawn at fish doctors, might pick that up too.

Any other tips for helping the Anthelia? I have tried to increase the pH, Iodine, increase dissolved organics. But nothing has really helped. I'm a bit stumped but have read that anthelia and xenia have been known to just crash for no reason (that we know of yet) so maybe I am just one of the unlucky ones, but after having it grow so well for weeks is frustrating.

phishcrazee - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    Not too much has changed in the tank. The anthelia isnt improving, but isnt getting worse. The first few weeks the growth was unreal and then all of a sudden nothing. I didnt change anything in the tank either so I am a bit baffled. Over the past few weeks, I have tried to increase the pH and iodine. Neither had much of an impact.

I have started to move most of the anthelia that I can scrape off the rocks to my other tank to let it recover. Going to place some light green GSP type coral into the tree along with whats left of the anthelia. Still determined to figure out what is causing the decline in the anthelia so I dont want to take it all out.

The mushrooms in the tank are looking great, and the GSP continues to grow nicely on the bottom. Will get some pictures early next week, once I glue the light green GSP into the tree. Had my eye on some frogspawn at fish doctors, might pick that up too.

Any other tips for helping the Anthelia? I have tried to increase the pH, Iodine, increase dissolved organics. But nothing has really helped. I'm a bit stumped but have read that anthelia and xenia have been known to just crash for no reason (that we know of yet) so maybe I am just one of the unlucky ones, but after having it grow so well for weeks is frustrating.
    I dunno about the anthelia, I have to cut it back in my 75g I would definitely turn the powerhead back on, they like flow. From the video clip, they look a bit bleached(?) but it may just be the video and the variety of anthelia. I have the regular pink stuff growing a few inches from the surface under 250W MH's. I do think they like or at least don't mind a dirtier tank......

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

It looks like you have lots of anthelia ! Are there any fish in the tank?

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3