[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Difference between a Sun Coral and Dendro?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

Default Difference between a Sun Coral and Dendro?

What is the difference between a sun coral and a dendro?

I recently acquired 3 heads of "sun coral" in a trade. He told me to put it in a cave, light current and to hand feed it.

I've had it for only a couple of days, but since I've added it to my tank, it's only been open for a few minutes on the first day. It is not completely closed up-center is only slightly opened. I do not have it sitting in a totally dark cave, but maybe that's what it needs. It's still getting light, just not directly under the light. I've also attempted to feed it using a turkey baster. They don't seem all that interested.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Beautiful coral, pain in the arse to keep alive. I managed to keep on for about a year. I had it in a very dimly lite cave with lots of flow. They are not photosynthetic, hence the need for flow to bring food to them.
    If your able to move it easily the best way to feed them is with actinic only or Lunar. Put it in the sand, cut the bottom off a 20 oz or 2 liter bottle and place it over the coral. Unscrew cap and blast mysis, and cyclopeeze. If its a pain to move it every day or every other give them a small shoot of food with the high flow to get them open. Kinda teasing them with a small taste. Once open cut off all flow and gently blast them(I say gently so they don't close up when you blast) and shoot some mysis and what not at them.
    Be care full not to touch the open polyps with turkey baster, they are extremely sticky and youll probably not get the baster back without injuring the sun coral, (tubastrea)
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ReeferRob; 09-22-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Sun corals require more maintenance because they aren't open and feeding as often. My dendros are open at least 80% of the time during the day. Whereas suncorals come out at night or after heavy feeding of the tank. Aside from that, the only difference is the dendros are 2-4 times the size of sun polyps (at least the ones I have seen).

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

agreed that they are hard to keep just cause of the backwards feeding regemin.

they can acclimate to "day time" feeding I have heard it done. I am sure it would take some time.....
    I have kept them in the past and the best success i had with them is when I had a piece that was in pretty bad shape (too close to some acans and had some alleopathy happen) I put it in my sump and it did FANTASTIC!!!!

beautiful coral when they are open but the feeding routine makes them more tedious to be successful with them.

GOOD LUCK
    fulltankshot 1 - Difference between a Sun Coral and Dendro?

First Name
    Becky

This is great. A cave and feeding after dark will not be a problem I have them in my saltwater "lagoon" so reaching them is not an issue. I'll just put them in a spot where I can feed them with a turkey baster.

Cross your fingers!

The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Good Luck.

First Name
    Becky

Graphixx... I bet they'd like some of your seafood chowda!

First Name
    Becky

I successfully fed my lil suns tonight. I put them in a flowerpot, stolen from my clowns, facing away from the light. They seem to like it there. Of course, I have them for only about 24 hours.

First Name
    Becky

Their new home. Do I need to add some sand to the pot to make them even happier?

000 0035 - Difference between a Sun Coral and Dendro?

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

very nice little shelter for them!!! glad to hear they ate!!
    fulltankshot 1 - Difference between a Sun Coral and Dendro?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last