[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Dendro not looking good...

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

To be Mr. Obvious, the dips would all be done with tank water (saltwater) not freshwater as is common for some corals.

Jamie- They had one of those walking dendro at Fish Drs. in Ypsilanti a couple weeks ago. It definitely wasn't cheap. Plus the thing likes to walk behind the rocks were you don't see it. I also didn't think it looked half as nice as a bright yellow dendro. But it was unique.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 01-13-2010 at 03:46 PM.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Now I'm confused~a bright yellow dendro doesn't walk? Meaning it has no worm?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Dendros have worms?!?!? Now I'm really confused.

Not to go off topic by getting back on the topic....

I brought the dendro back to the LFS and they are holding a replacement for a couple of weeks to ensure it is healed and healthy.

Austin - Thanks for the link. I read it back when I was researching dendros... an awesome resource, thank you. I replied to the parasite discussion in RC. If not parasites or fragging what would you say caused this? I did not see anything picking at it. The only thing in the tank that I can think of that would possibly do damage to it is a tiger pistol shrimp. I've had the shrimp for many years and it has never gone after a coral or anything else. I also had the LFS test the water and Ca=380 alk=8 and Nitrate=undetectable.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Dendros have worms?!?!? Now I'm really confused.

Not to go off topic by getting back on the topic....

I brought the dendro back to the LFS and they are holding a replacement for a couple of weeks to ensure it is healed and healthy.

Austin - Thanks for the link. I read it back when I was researching dendros... an awesome resource, thank you. I replied to the parasite discussion in RC. If not parasites or fragging what would you say caused this? I did not see anything picking at it. The only thing in the tank that I can think of that would possibly do damage to it is a tiger pistol shrimp. I've had the shrimp for many years and it has never gone after a coral or anything else. I also had the LFS test the water and Ca=380 alk=8 and Nitrate=undetectable.
    Here's what I found in my research: http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=405

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy28 View Post
    Rick

dendros are not like suncorals they are not affected by light at all
    so you can have them in the open and wont matter

tom
    you can feed micro foods but they will do better off of a more meaty diet like pe mysis
    or the reef stew we got from the meeting
    and what would be really good is if you feed a slury of all 3 at several small feedings a week
    Ryan

I never said they couldnt have light..i said i placed mine in a cave and thats where he did the best..as far as meaty foods..i would hesitate to give a young dendro meaty food like mysis as i stated before its very easy to over feed it..

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Now I'm confused~a bright yellow dendro doesn't walk? Meaning it has no worm?
    No, Dendrophyllia species do not "walk", nor have a symbiotic relationship with a worm. See the links Rob posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I replied to the parasite discussion in RC. If not parasites or fragging what would you say caused this?
    Based on your response I believe you're correct in that it's the corals mesenteries showing - the parasitic nudis I worried about look identical to that though - yellow and frilly, nasty little buggers!

Although it's easy to cut through the skeleton of Dendrophyllia, they're not the most tolerable coral in regards to fragging. They must be in top shape and be kept in an established system after fragging, and smothered with foods afterwards to encourage tissue regeneration (lost due to fragging). I'd venture to guess that the LFS received the colonies recently, they were not in the best shape upon receipt, and they went to town fragging them. None of the above is a good idea, glad they're willing to replace for you. BTW, the only thing I'd ever consider fragging a dendro with (for optimal success) is an Inland bandsaw (or similar).

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Thanks for the links Rob~talk about some beautiful corals~I would love to have just 1 polyp~would totally make my tank!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3