[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Sun coral

Bookmark and Share

Default Sun coral

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Friday I picked up a piece of sun coral from my local fish shop. I knew that it only opens at night and had always wanted to try some coral like that. The hippie at the pet store told me it might not open for a night or two so after three nights I called to see if they would take a return because I am guessing it was dead when I bought it. The guy on the phone told me you need to feed it for it to open up. So I made a feeding bell out of a pop bottle and feed it twice with DT's. It still didnt open. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone have any first hand info on sun coral?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Tubastrea(sun polyps/coral, etc) can be extremely difficult. Mine are in a darker area of my system and are at a point at which all currents seem to cross or end. IMO, a blended coctail shrimp(fed as you did the DT's) will trigger a better response from the suns, but in general, they're far more difficult than worth it due to the amounts of feedings needed to keep them happy and the possibilities of adding too many nutrients to a closed system.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Blended cocktail shrimp? I just moved into my first house and sorry to say, I don't own a blender I am more of a beer guy that a fruity cocktail thing sort of guy (thank god). Would smashed up krill do the trick?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Krill is not something I've ever fed mine, but you can feed them brine shrimp instead of having to grind up anything. I think your sun coral are fine, but to be sure I'd have to see a picture. If you can post one, that would be great! If they aren't, they'll decay and turn into empty holes. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Your LFS sells frozen brine shrimp in small cubes. Thaw it in a dish with some tank water, and suck up some of the liquid from the shrimp & water mixture first, and slowly release the liquid over your sun coral. Do this later in the evening when they are due to open-6-7pm, and it will encourage them to open for you ust by letting them taste the juice. Since they feed on what's in the water column, they will absord DT's and other foods in the water columnwhich is great for them. That's what they live on if you're not giving anything extra. IMO, you should still feed your tank the DT's on your regular schedule as I know they love that too! They love brine shrimp, so spoil them with it and watch those suncorals shine for you. Shortly after you have teased them with the liquid, they generally will open looking for more. Then suck more of the liquid up but this time make sure there's some of the tiny brine shrimp in the next feeding. Gently shoot the liquid & shrimp from the baster on to the open polyps. As the shrimps hits the open polyp it will stick to their "flower", and you'll see them close over the shrimp. I generally will give them another shot of shrimp once they open from their 1st dose. After they are fed, come back and look at them after they've eaten. You'll see them open and shining. As you continue feeding them (at least once a week is what I do), and they become bigger and more beautiful before your eyes, and they will also start to spread. Take a picture of them now, and then have fun comparing them to the original photo! Don't forget to share your success with us as they grow!#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

tigersax7 - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#just got my first sun coral too... luckly mine cameout to eat within a few hours...you might try pulverising (sp) some brine shrimp with a pastel or spoon in a coffie cup till you have brine juice. this should intice them to eat...after that well... there are a lot of opinions on what to feed them phyto however is not high enough in protien to keep them happy youmight try cyclopseez (sp) or get a blender and make some home made coral food($20 atwallmart which is about the cost of cyclops) the choice is yours.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    only the finest in gehto reef technology ~

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What else do you have in the tank as far as fish (and other thieves for that matter). If you are feeding brineshrimp or something else that size and there are things in the tank tosteal from the polyps then you better continue using the feeding cap. My foxface will pull all the food off the polyps if given the chance so I started feeding the tubestrea a cyclopeeze mixture of which he has no interest in. (one of the very few things out there he has no interest in.... the boy will eat newpaper ... proven fact :-). But I do whip out the feeding cap on occasion and feed the polyps food with more substance (mysis, brineship). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I'm preparing the food for the reef and the other tanks, the first thing I do is take the frozen brineshrimp juice in a baster and squirt it at the tubestreas (I have 4). Then as I continue to prepare the food and feed the other tanks while the tubestrea are sniffing at the juice and are coming out. By the time I hit the reef tank they are fully extended and waiting. Once they reconize the cue they will come out immediately. They will also come out more throughout the day when they are nice and happy.... I just peeked at the tank and 3 of the 4 are out and it's noon time.... no where near feeding time yet. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

First let me welcome you Seahorsedreams to Captive Reefing. It's great to see you jump right in and pass along some good advice. I love my sun corals! Your advice is very similar to the advice I also gave above. Mine are beautiful with a diet of brine shrimp, cyclopeez, and DT's. My habit of feeding them a brine shrimp, then next time they'll get cyclopeez, and DT's is important in our tank. They are happy. I may need to frag mine and start another rock. They're getting real crowded which makes me very happy. That sunny yellow showing in the tank is beautiful. Mine also come out during the day in addition to the evening hours. Spoil them, it's fun!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~