[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

90g cleaning crew?

Bookmark and Share
    Cash - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default 90g cleaning crew?

Looking for suggestions on a cleaning crew for my 90g. Having inadequate/poor lighting has lead to a decent amount of GHA. Also picked up some LR from someone who was breaking down there tank and it has alot of aptasia (sp). LOL took me a few days to figure what they were. Was told there are some shrimp that will feast on the aptasia. I currently have 2 little red leg crabs and a serpent star. Which I know are not near enough.
    Looking for ideals of what else to put in there (coral safe) and about how many of each

Thanks in advance.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

you can go on most livestock site and they have allready assemble "cleaner packages" which include diff types of snails like: cerith, astrea, turbos, conch's all of those snails work great on algae.

I love lawnmower blennys also they are alage eating machines and have great character. lettuce nudibranch are great too and are neat additions to tanks as well.

as for the aptasia you can you peppermint shrimp and this is hit and miss if they have other readily available things to eat then they seem to eat that instead, I would mix up some calc paste or Joe's juice and inject them.

and hermits are good critters to have as well.

hope this helps
    fulltankshot 1 - 90g cleaning crew?

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

+1 to everything that Graphixx stated.............except the use of Peppermint shrimps. Its like butting rats in your tank. They will eat what they want when they want, and I am yet to hear of anyone having even slight success with them eating aptasias.

First before getting a clean up crew however you need to address the algae issue by getting fresh bulbs that are in specturm and a phosphate test kit. Get the phosphates down by eliminating the use of tap water, cut down on feedings if using froozen foods.

I use a $3 stainless TEA filter to rinse my mysis before I put it in the tank.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

I like the use of the tea filter for the mysis. I am hoping my new light will take care of the algae, It should be here tomorrow. I am going to pick up a test kit tonight to check everything in the water.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

KUDOS to rob

should have probably said as well to try and diagnose the outbreak first and then get a cleaner crew. buuuuttt you will want some critters in there to manage and maintain
    fulltankshot 1 - 90g cleaning crew?

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Absotutely <-misspelled on purpose:p always need a good cleaning crew no matter what the parameters are.

What fixture did you get? And who from?

If you don't feel like poppin for the phosphate test kit you can borrow mine? Warren is close enough.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Hey Rob Thanks. I might have a friend coming over tomorrow to help me test my water. As for the fixture I will probably get harased over it but I bought a T5 4x54w odysea (sp). Yeah I know they are not the greatest but hopefully will do til im back to work full time and can afford a nicer one. Bought it from ebay.

The only place I have found cleaner packages are from Dr fosters. I am sure there are other probably better places, just have not had the chance to look up others. I was kinda surprised on what they recomended for my tank size. 30-45 of each one?

Again thanks for all the newbie advise

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've always used these people, the prices are always good and you often can find locals to split orders with.

http://www.keyscritters.com/
    Anyone can grow Zoa's and LPS I have some in my sump.

Nice site and looks like decent pricing from only the few I have seen lol. I am still not sure about the quantity I will need.

Thanks