[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anemone Dying?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default Anemone Dying?

[IMG]20130902 195828 zpsd7df93d8 - Anemone Dying?[/IMG]

[IMG]20130902 143842 zps4205fc45 - Anemone Dying?[/IMG]

Hey guys! I know im new here and all but I already have a problem! I think my Heteractis crispa is dying! Now i know I made a mistake.. my tank is only 20 gallons and has been set up for about a month.. yeah i know But when I went to my LFS I saw the clowns rub up against and thought it would be good to have. The tentacles are turning brown and shrivinlg.. but some are still going strong! is it dying THANKS

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Anemone Dying?

Need a little more info about it's living arrangements. Lighting, flow and water parameters and what if anything are you feeding it.
    They do require strong lighting, but also come in several colors with brown being one of them.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

It doesn't look too bad in your second photo. Looks like it might be getting ready to poop.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Need a little more info about it's living arrangements. Lighting, flow and water parameters and what if anything are you feeding it.
    They do require strong lighting, but also come in several colors with brown being one of them.
    My Light for the tank is a 65 gallon t3 light
    I have a 20 gallon filter with puregon, and a powerhead. Should i blow it right on the anemone?
    Water parameters : I got everything tested today and everything is perfect!
    Im so confused!!

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

what about salinity and temp? nems can be pretty picky about those two. Plus, please explain your light fixture a little better. Ive never heard of a 65 gallon t-3 fixture before. I looked up the t-3 bulbs on the web and my guess is that it has something to do with running t-3's. A 24" dual t-5 fixture should fit on that size of a tank, you put two ATI bulbs in it and you can kiss your lighting problems good bye. Are you running a sump/skimmer on this system?

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReefTech View Post
    what about salinity and temp? nems can be pretty picky about those two. Plus, please explain your light fixture a little better. Ive never heard of a 65 gallon t-3 fixture before. I looked up the t-3 bulbs on the web and my guess is that it has something to do with running t-3's. A 24" dual t-5 fixture should fit on that size of a tank, you put two ATI bulbs in it and you can kiss your lighting problems good bye. Are you running a sump/skimmer on this system?
    I have a T3 light fixture for my 65 gallon tank and put it on my tank to increase lighting. My temp is 80.7 and my salinity is 1.025 so I think everything is perfect. No I dont not have a protien skimmer... should I put my powerhead on the nem?

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

ok, so the 24" fixture wouldn't fit that size tank (oops!) As far as the power head goes, that depends. how does the nem look right now? does it move and sway in the current the way it is now? If its swaying in the current then it should be fine, but if you look at it and it doesn't move, then yes, you should direct some water movement towards the nem. Maybe try and get the temp down to around 78 degrees as well and see if that causes a change. Mine always seemed happy when the temp was below 80. Also how frequently do you do water changes and how much water do you change out at a time?

CR Member

I havent had the nem even a week yet so I havent changed water yet but i usually change 10% a week. The problem is some of the nem tentacles are shrinking but some are going strong! I just dont know if its dying or not!!

First Name
    Matt

Well from the pics it really doesn't look like its in that bad of shape. A lot of those types of nems the older and bigger they get they will turn more into that "brown" kind of color, so that's pretty normal. The ones I had did the same thing, some of the tentacles would shrink down for a little bit while others stayed long and plump, but the short ones always went back to normal size. Theres a problem when you see the entire nem closed in on itself and stays like that for days. But if its getting nice and big like it is in the pics everyday then it should be fine. Make sure you hand feed it atleast twice a week with some meaty foods, chunks of shrimp, really any type of meaty seafood and if it eats that then it should be doing fine. That's the thing with nems/coral when something is wrong and there not happy, they'll show signs that something isn't right in their environment. So just keep an eye on it and give it some time.

CR Member

Do you know the chepaest light I could get that would do the nem justice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last