[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anemone meet Vortech

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Anemone meet Vortech

When I checked on my tank this evening I noticed the vortech dry side was hanging from the zip tie along side of the tank. On closer inspection, what I found was what was left of my new green BTA inside of the Vortech wetside.

Not sure the nem will make it...only a bit wasn't ground to a pulp. But I guess the bigger question is, is this normal for the pump to disconnect from the wetside if something like this happens? It could present a bigger problem than a ground up anemone if you were out of town for awhile when it happened...no flow.

Also, I post this as a warning to make sure your dry sides have their safety cord as EcoTech recommends or it could it the floor. For a long time I didn't have mine connected. I'm glad I did today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Dang that sucks sorry to hear Jim!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Jarred1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Yikes I am sorry for what happened
    "It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word 'bling' was never invented..."

I would not be surprised if the anemone made it. Keep us posted.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I normally keep the sponge guard on the vortech, but it was falling apart so I took it off...need to find a new one. I wasn't overly worried cause I hadn't had any nems moving around on the top area of the glass. But forget all about it when I added this latest BTA...I've had it for at least a month and only recently did it decide to come out from under the rock it crawled under when I unboxed and added it to my tank.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    I would not be surprised if the anemone made it. Keep us posted.
    Do you think I should cut the damaged tissue off or just leave it alone?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'm sorry for you loss Jim. Hope it pulls through.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Yikes! That is a bummer. My guess is that it is normal for the torque between the wet and dry side to cause the two to disconnect. However, I have never owned a Vortec so I'm really just guessing on that.

On the bright side you may have hundreds of tiny BTAs soon!

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

you know? its easy to lose something in this hobby......no matter how careful you are. sorry to here it.

cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

If it doesn't make it Jim just let me know and i'll hook you up with a new GBTA. I have quite a few of them now so i'm sure I can spare one for ya
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, will trap you in its nets of wonder forever"
    - Jacques Cousteau

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Its not normal that they separate. What I suspect is that the anemone got the wetside off of it's center. As you know when there not centered up there's some vibration, and it lost its strong magnetic connection. One good test is to make sure it shuts off when separated. I knocked mine off once and it didn't shut off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last