[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anenome = no cleaner shrimp and wrasse

Bookmark and Share

Default Anenome = no cleaner shrimp and wrasse

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my round tip anenome seems to be killing cleaner shrimps and cleaner wrasse. So far I have gone through 4 cleaner shrimps and at least 5 cleaner wrasse. All have died, their bodies are in perfect condition - no bites or spots. And some of them, after climitization seem to be happily doing their cleaning duties on the rest of the fishes. All died within one day of being introduced to the tank. Originally I thought my water quality was poor - as the nitrate was indeed in the region of 20-30ppm, but then on my 4th cleaner shrimp, I sat there and watched it for a couple of hours, then it happened, it wandered into one of the tentacles of the anenome and got stung, did a somersault and lay on the sand. I scooped it up but it died afew hours later.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know it is not proof that the anenome stung the rest of the cleaners but I can't find another explanation for it - and after looking at the books - cleaner wrasse is suppossed to be fairly hardy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is there a mismatch between round tip anenomes and cleaner shrimp/wrasse or did I just buy clumsy critters who doesn't know to stay away from anenomes ? It's frustrating.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I bought the anenome it was shrunken to the size of a half dollar but much thicker, but now it is expanded to about the size of my palm (sometimes my outstretched palm even)- is it too big for the tank but then most of the other fishes don't seem to beaffected by it ?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any insights on this ?? My ammonia and nitrite is 0. PH is slightly low at 8.2 and salinity is approx 1.021-1.022 (that's at 28 degree celcius). Everything else seems fine, even the corals (I know, my temp is alittle high for them, but they still seem ok, just trying to save up for a chiller). I do weekly 15-20% water changes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#shlim944#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

I have watched my cleaner shrimp scoot all over both my tube anemones and my LTA and nothing happened to them...... maybe your anemone is just more venomous? Wish I could help more than that but never seen a thread on this subject anywhere else before.
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My crabs and peppermint shrimp brush and crawl over my Sebae anenomie all the time with no ill effects. If it is your anenomie, you must have a mean one.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chris#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Chris B.

If it is hardy, I will find a way to kill it. Just Kidding!

zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok, this is whati read. The BTA are one of the better anemonies for hosting. If a clown or 2 does host it, and he splits, the clown will kill the split for some reason. they also eat small fish and can sting and kill some small inverts. They will often eat them too. There wasw another thing that i read on here that said a full sized BTA can kill a bubble coral. (for those who dont know, bubble coral are very aggressive) So i would say that it is the BTA killing your shrimp, im just surprised he never ate them? Hope this helped.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.